Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2017, 08:15 AM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
We looked at older high end and brand new low end (2016 Thor). Although initially interested in only DPs, we modified our search to only include F53 chassis. (significant price difference between DP and gas for same MH)

We went with the older high end (1999 Southwind). Our decision was based on a couple items: Price, quality, floor plan, technology

The price of the Southwind was 1/6 the price of a new entry level Thor ($80k) and no payments (paid cash). Although quality and condition were factors in our search, our decision was mainly driven by price.

Part of the price was a budget for upgrades, repairs, etc. We planned on about $3k - 4k over and above the purchase price. (Tires, upgrades, repairs, maintenance). In reality we lucked out, we only spent an additional $1500 in repairs and upgrades to bring the Southwind up to date maintenance. (two tires, LED TVs, new microwave, dinosaur board for frig, chassis components, shocks, brakes, filters, etc)

Quality - I can't compare build or component quality of the Thor, mainly because I didn't have a baseline or knowledge to know what to look at. Up to this point I had owned two entry levels so didn't know what a high end looked like until we had owned the SW for a while. The SW build quality is excellent. Commercial cabinets, attention to detail, workmanship, design, etc. Unless you've lived in both MHs, its hard to draw comparisons.

Floor Plan - The SW was a perfect match for the plan we wanted. Specifically, around 35 ft, table instead of booth, large living room slide. If the Thor we looked at had this plan, we may have looked a lot more serious at it.

Technology - The Thor had a lot of impressive technology, Radios, TVs, etc. Obviously the SW could not be compared, because this technology didn't exist in 1999.

One of the innovative features, The TV was actually one of the kitchen cabinet doors.

Long Range Goals - Other considerations

I need 100% reliability for at least the next 5 years / 50k miles. I know I can get that out of the F53 chassis if its maintained properly.

I'm also comfortable I can get get it out of the SW coach. I'm not as confident with an entry level MH of this age. Even with the SW, because of age, things like Frig, AC units, Furnace, water heater, are probably nearing the end of their lives.

On the other hand, these same components in a new Thor are just beginning their lives, so should easily last 10 - 15 years.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2017, 09:07 AM   #30

As I mentioned earlier I have a 12 year old entry level for a year. The only issue with the engine so far was the emergency break would not work so could not use the jacks, it was a 50$ fix at the dealer. I did have to replace the dually tires and spare as I stupidly never checked the date codes, only spotted the dates when adding the tpms.

Had issues with storage/entry door locks, water heater check valve and step controller. Also have to repair one of the entry way steps as it's sagging.

I added a steering stabilizer, got an alignment and replaced rear sway bar bushings, changed out the mattress.

Our budget for the next coach will be about 40k plus whatever I get for selling/trading in my own one (hopefully 15-20k). If trading and the mattress was the same size I would ask to swap it. Also can bring the battery monitor, portable solar and gps with me.

I would like full body paint and dual pane windows, an lpg fridge, furnace and water heater is must as we dry camp a bit.

We are not full timing and doubt we ever will be, we get out for about 40 nights a year.

From research I could get a 1 or 2 year old entry level coach or a mid to high end model that's 7 years old. I can see the merit of both.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:59 AM   #31

You can obviously afford more motorhome if you go used. But with that comes a used motorhome and potential problems. Not that new means perfection but at least you've got the warranty and you can select from a wider variety of floor plans or even order exactly what you want.

In our experience, bigger, higher end gas coaches from some manufactures (Newmar, Tiffin, Winnebago maybe) are as nice as some diesel coaches but don't have the same cargo capacity or longevity as diesels.

Most lower end Class A's are low end. Smaller chassis, smaller tanks, more low end RV features. But not all. Newmar's Bay Star is a really nice coach and about the same price as a Georgetown 5 Series or Thor Hurricane and less than Winnebago Sightseers while having quality above any of them IMHO.

You need to consider size too. As the price and quality of gassers go up, so does length. That might be good if you want a bigger coach or it might be bad if you want to stay small.

Lower end coaches generally have terrible cargo carrying capacity. High end gassers have more, generally. Same with tanks. Bigger in bigger, pricier coaches, smaller in low end coaches, generally.

And in my experience, the demand for small, inexpensive class A coaches (FR3, ACE, Vista and Vista LX, Bay Star, etc.) is high. I don't see the typical depreciation folks talk about. You can find a new FR3, for instance, for about $85-95,000. But 2015 used models are still going for $70-80,000. There are also nearly 300 new FR3s on RV Trader but only 84 used models. That suggests also that people are holding on to them. That probably translates to all gassers to some extent. Used models aren't as cheap as you'd think and not as plentiful.

We decided to go new, a Bay Star, instead of used. But our reasons our our's (we prefer smaller, we really like Newmar's quality, wife has asthma and we don't want to take chances of previous pets or smokers, etc.) Used isn't bad. We considered buying used during our search. But in the end, we found it hard to find a floor plan we liked consistently and late model used prices just weren't low enough for us.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:34 PM   #32

I'd say it all depends on the cash you want to spend. The insides are the same until you get up into the very high dollar stuff. A $150,000 new gasser inside will be every bit if not a little better than a new $150,000 diesel because more of the price of the diesel is in the chassis and engine. I'd say 90% of motorhome owners travel less than 5,000 miles a year, proof of this is the mileage in all the units for sale. At resale a gasser is the best investment for these people. For the 10% who log high miles then the diesel is the better buy.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:43 PM   #33

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Hi,

I see a lot of posts comparing older diesel class A's to higher end gas models, but not any comparing older higher end gas models to newer entry gas models.

If you had a choice which would you choose?
All depends, I guess, but generally speaking, I'm still of the analogy for rather having a 5 yr old well kept Mercedes Benz vs a brand new Yugo.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:23 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
All depends, I guess, but generally speaking, I'm still of the analogy for rather having a 5 yr old well kept Mercedes Benz vs a brand new Yugo.
Younger folks look at me funny bringing up Yugo's seems they weren't born yet.
FYI:
Found for Sale: 1987 Yugo GV Sport with only 1,800 miles
Yikes, ah shucks, well maybe shoot for a, oh say 35 y.o. Benz.
Mercedes-Maybach S550 / S600 Reviews - Mercedes-Maybach S550 / S600 Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver
Your point is well taken,
Quality will shine in lasting value far longer than the fading sparkle of a cheaper bargain.

Be well
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:59 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
The six speed was introduced in 2006, with a narrower spread of the gears similar to the change Ford made in 2016.
Ahh, so Workhorse was 10 years ahead of Ford when it comes to transmission offerings.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:08 PM   #36

I had a Newmar Mountain Aire. It was a 1998 and I bought is used around 2004. I kept and used it until 2009. It had a 460 ford v8 and it was one of the nicest rv's I ever owned. It was very high end for the day and way nicer than any of the new entry level coaches that were new at the time. I would say high end used was a better value than the new entry level stuff. That was also the most trouble free mh we ever owned. Also it only had 9k miles on it so it was almost new. It was about the same price as the brand new entry level stuff at the time.
QMThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:55 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Ahh, so Workhorse was 10 years ahead of Ford when it comes to transmission offerings.
The Allison was just a sweet transmission. With the additional in 2006 of the Transynd synthetic fluid, the transmission maintenance was greatly reduced. I am in the process of swapping mine out. Did the first fluid change two years ago and in 25K miles from then will do the second. Only maintenance after that will be the filter (and fluid lost during filter change).
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:52 AM   #38

I will definitely consider workhorse models.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:49 AM   #39

4 years now with my 2013 Tiffin gas motorhome and only maint so far has been oil changes. They are built on the same line as their DP's and many parts are the same. Just look at the outside compartment doors if you want to see quality. Why people go on about the long out of production workhorse chassis is beyond me. They might have been good in their day but wonder how they would stand up today with all the larger RV's with numerous slides and longer lengths.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:43 AM   #40

I just looked on Rv trader and my budget can get a 7-8year old Newmar Canyon star, Winnebago Adventurer or Sightseer
Old 06-27-2017, 04:31 AM   #41

Checked out a 2017 Newmar Bay Star sport 2903 when at the dealer yesterday getting a repair estimate for my Damon. It is far nicer and more room than my 35ft rig, the full wall and bedroom slide make a big difference.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:57 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Why people go on about the long out of production workhorse chassis is beyond me. They might have been good in their day but wonder how they would stand up today with all the larger RV's with numerous slides and longer lengths.
My Workhorse is 37+ feet with a GCWR of 30,000 lbs. I would say if the Workhorse were still available it would handle any of today's coaches just fine. Has a better torque curve than the V10 so moving weight isn't an issue.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas