Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2018, 01:22 PM   #1

Hitch wiring issue

Hi,

I have a 2007 Georgie Boy Pursuit, on a Ford F53 chassis. When I bought my tow dolly, we discovered that the hitch plug isn’t getting power to the brake lights or turn signals.

We’re on the road, so leaving it at a dealer probably won’t work. Also, seems like a lot of dealers don’t want to handle this.

So, I’m looking for options. The hitch plug is a 7 pin, the dolly is a 4 pin. Can I splice directly into the wires going to the taillights and run a new 4 pin plug? Or is there another way to fix the problem on my own? I’m not very knowledgeable when it come to electrical wiring, but could probably figure it out with photos and instructions.

Thanks
Blueknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2018, 02:10 PM   #2

You need to determine where the break in the circuits are. Just splicing into the wiring might still not work. Look at the receptacle maybe the contacts are corroded if they are just clean them and add diaelectric grease to the contacts. If water got into the receptacle it may have corroded the wiring and the wires broke. Repair the broken wires. I wouldn't splice into the wiring until you figure out what happened.
keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:22 PM   #3

Check the fuses first.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:27 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Get a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter. https://www.amazon.com/7-pin-4-adapt...0pin%20adapter
Old 08-28-2018, 02:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
Check the fuses first.

Fuses are good.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by keger View Post
You need to determine where the break in the circuits are. Just splicing into the wiring might still not work. Look at the receptacle maybe the contacts are corroded if they are just clean them and add diaelectric grease to the contacts. If water got into the receptacle it may have corroded the wiring and the wires broke. Repair the broken wires. I wouldn't splice into the wiring until you figure out what happened.

I’m think of wiring directly into the lights and adding a new 4 pin plug and skipping the wiring harness that’s there for the 7 pin plug. I don’t need the 7 pin that’s there.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post

Already have that. The problem seems to be in the wires coming into the 7 pin plug. They aren’t getting power to the brake lights and turn signals.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:53 PM   #8

Blueknight-

I recommend finding the cause for the problem and fixing it. That way, when problems crop up later you won't be wondering "Now, what did I do last time?"

My coach is based on the same model-year chassis. I have diagrams I have made of the trailer light circuits, the Ford portion of which will apply to your coach. If you are willing, I can help you work through the troubleshooting. If you are interested in that, send me a private message that includes your e-mail address and I'll contact you that way.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:00 PM   #9

If you do tie into your existing lights make sure you don't overload those circuits or you wouldn't have any tail lamps. Also make sure you don't invite any water or dirt to get into your existing lamps. Again you don't want to loose your rear lights to anything.
keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight View Post
Hi,

I have a 2007 Georgie Boy Pursuit, on a Ford F53 chassis. When I bought my tow dolly, we discovered that the hitch plug isn’t getting power to the brake lights or turn signals.

We’re on the road, so leaving it at a dealer probably won’t work. Also, seems like a lot of dealers don’t want to handle this.

So, I’m looking for options. The hitch plug is a 7 pin, the dolly is a 4 pin. Can I splice directly into the wires going to the taillights and run a new 4 pin plug? Or is there another way to fix the problem on my own? I’m not very knowledgeable when it come to electrical wiring, but could probably figure it out with photos and instructions.

Thanks
Some coaches have a circuit board for the tow vehicle. Mine does and it is powered from the front directional lights and running lights.The board went bad on mine and it is obsolete. What I wound up doing was I disconnected the factory wiring at the coaches plug and ran wires from the rear coach running lights and stop directional lights to the coach’s plug. I have separate led bulbs in my crv so i’m Not concerned of overloading any circuits. This may or not be your problem but it was my problem. In my case it simplified the towd wiring and it works well. Check your wiring schematic and either fix it or modify it if necessary but be sure it isn’t a just fuse or loose wire.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:20 AM   #11

You need a way to test low voltage or battery voltage. Turn on the directional signals and find which wire they feed on the plug on the MH, same with brake lights and tail lights. (if meter black lead to ground and red lead to plug) If you don't have voltage there you need to find out why. Pick the correct wires on the 4 pin and either hard wire them or as suggested buy an adapter.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring