Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2020, 06:26 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Holding tanks

I have a 2007 holiday Rambler ambassador.
I just bought this unit and the black tank keeps showing 3/4 full .
Does anyone know what type of tank sensor this takes or better yet, just where this tank is located. I looked underneath and it appears the entire bottom is sealed. Thanks for any suggestions.
Bob-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2020, 06:41 PM   #2

I am afraid you are barking up a tree to get the tank sensor to work well. There probably is noting physically wrong with the sensors except toilet paper gets hung up on the sendors thus giving a false reading.

Some people have tried putting 20 to 40 pounds of ice into the tank through the toilet, add water and drive around sloshing the ice mixture hoping to knock the paper off the sensors. It may or may not work for a while until more paper hangs on the sendors.

As far as the location of the tank its probably very near the toilet or under it. Its not easy to get to on a class A in most cases.
tanman32225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:11 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You can completely fill the tank with water and add some liquid soap. Let it sit for a few days, drain out about a 1/4 of the tank and take it for a drive to slosh the contents around. This may or may not clear the sensor. You can also add some tank cleaning chemicals over your next few trips, using a lot of water when you flush.

If you can't resolve the issue, you may want to add an aftermarket tank monitoring system like SeeLevel.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:35 PM   #4

My sensors are on the outside of my tank but still never work correctly. Winnebago told me that the tank may be stained on the inside causing the faults reading. I just keep my gray tank valve closed and when my showers begins to drain slow I know it is time to dump both the gray and black tanks. I don’t even look at the tank monitor anymore.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:32 AM   #5

Thanks for the quick reply’s. My biggest issue is with the tank reading 3/4 full I can’t flush very much. Once it reads full the electric toilet quits working and won’t let you flush anymore. I have found a way to override this but it is a pain.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:09 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I've had some success using a septic system enzyme treatment in the grey and black tanks to clean up the sensors. Rid-X, Roebic K57, etc. But as others have said, any success will be short-lived with the type of sensor system you have. Replacing the sensors with an external type such as the See-Level system is a major improvement, though.

Some people claim that the Horst "Miracle Probe" solves the problem. I'm skeptical, but you can make your own call.
https://www.rvprobes.com/home.html
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:33 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We've been using Happy Camper tank treatment for many years and it keeps our sensors working great!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:27 AM   #8

Thanks Gary. I will look into those.
After I locate the tanks. Looks like that may end up being the hard part. On my previous 5th wheels they were easily seen. Not so much with this DP.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:03 AM   #9

Bob H, the tanks should be in the bay where your water connections are located.

In my previous '08 Dynasty, the bay in front of the 'water bay', had sliding doors to expose the tanks and water pump, etc.

Good luck.
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
Bob H, the tanks should be in the bay where your water connections are located.

In my previous '08 Dynasty, the bay in front of the 'water bay', had sliding doors to expose the tanks and water pump, etc.

Good luck.
Mark
Thanks. I’ll look again but I didn’t see anything that looked like I could get into
Old 08-30-2020, 06:01 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
On the passenger side of the coach, opposite of the wet bay on the drivers side, there may be a door/panel that doesn't have a handle to open. Theses are sometimes held shut with straps on the bottom. Remove the straps and the door my lift up to provide access to the back of the fresh water and grey and black holding tanks. This may be where the tank sensors are located.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:03 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Buy the cheapest liquid automatic diswasher stuff you can find. Also a gallon of gel drain cleaner. Try and fi!l tank about 1/2 full, let it sit for a day, take it for a drive. Stop, go, turns, slight bumps etc. Bring it back, fill all the way, dump, refill. Repeat the fresh fill and dump several times.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:19 AM   #13
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-H View Post
Thanks for the quick reply’s. My biggest issue is with the tank reading 3/4 full I can’t flush very much. Once it reads full the electric toilet quits working and won’t let you flush anymore. I have found a way to override this but it is a pain.
I take it you do not have a Black Tank Flush water connection? i do and I use it after every tank dump.

My gray tank started reading zero even though I used 1/3rd out of the fresh tank. I poured part of a bottle of blue Dawn dishwashing soap into the rear bath sink drain. put the drain plug in, filled the sink with water, and pulled the drain. That pushed the soap into the gray tank with minimal sudsing in the sink.

I then drove for about 25 miles, got home, parked in the same place, and the gray tank read 1/3rd. We went camping a week later so I added a bit more blue Dawn before we left and dumped the tank when we arrived. A lot of stuff came out.

If nothing else, try the same thing by dumping some down a toilet.

My Tecma toilet has its own level sensor that is separate from the motorhome's level system. Is your toilet level sensor integrated or separate?

Ray
Old 08-30-2020, 10:23 AM   #14

Had same issue recently and a 1/4 bottle of dollar store dishing washing liquid did the job.

Tags
holiday rambler, tank