Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2018, 05:30 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Neptune or...??

We've been planning to go full time for a while now and are finally within about a year of departure. We haven't bought our full time rig yet and are torn between the Class A route and 5th wheel approach, but this isn't what this thread is about.

Our currently favored Class A possibilities is one of the shorter 2006-2008 Holiday Rambler Neptunes.
These are standard with dual-pane windows, good storage, washer/dryer prepped, 7,000 pounds towing capacity, pass-through basement storage, good tank sizes and 100" wide by less than 13' in height.

What else should we consider in the 60-80k range, new enough to not have gold shower framing and similar dated interior stylings?
WheelingOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2018, 06:51 PM   #2

I would look check to see if the trailing arms have been replaced, not the factory arms. Need to be from Source Engineering plus the are a hard riding coach
Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR
2 stroker
Cost my daughter $5K to have there coach fixed on a 05 Monaco 36'
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
I would look check to see if the trailing arms have been replaced, not the factory arms. Need to be from Source Engineering plus the are a hard riding coach
Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR
2 stroker
Cost my daughter $5K to have there coach fixed on a 05 Monaco 36'
Thanks Stroker. Looks like something I might be able to install myself and will be a good bargaining point. Plan on having anything we consider, inspected, unless we decide to go with a new coach.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:56 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Canyonlands".....If you ever trust anything that is said here.....do not buy the Neptune. The HR Neptune line is a 4 airbag system (Roadmaster R4R chassis). All Monaco/HR products above the Neptune line are 8 airbag systems (Roadmaster R8R chassis). The R4R chassis is one of the roughest riding chassis' out there. I owned a 2005 Diplomat and it rode nice. Friends of ours bought a 2007 Neptune and it was so rough that it knocked the clothes off the clothes hangar bar in the rear closet.

I adjusted their air, set their ride height and installed Koni FSD shocks. It was better, but still rode rough. It's such a rough ride that Source Engineering created a kit to soften the ride. The kit included bigger airbags, a ping tank (to help with air tank size) and added Bilstein shocks. The kit was about $3500.00 and I don't think it really made a huge difference.

Keep looking at Monaco products as they were one of the best products out there. Just start looking for one the next level up, like the Knight or Diplomat or the equivalent in the HR line.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:34 AM   #5

You can find some nice Newmar Dutch Stars in that general age and price range.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:54 AM   #6

Thanks! We'll move the Neptune to a not likely status and keep looking for a suitable 35' ish substitute.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:07 AM   #7

We purchased a 2008 HR Neptune last fall and absolutely love it.

I guess it all depends on what your requirements and criteria are. We were looking for something 35ft or under, with a decent sized motor, with an all in one bath and a floor plan that is usable with the slides in. The Neptune hit all our points.

The Neptune always seems to get a bad rap on these boards. Maybe its where we upgraded from? We previously had a 1993 30ft Rockwood DP with the old Cummins 5.9 in it. The Rockwood could be a rough ride over the bumps on its standard spartan leaf spring suspension. But we never though anything of it until we got the Neptune. I'll tell you driving through Michigan the Neptune is like a dream compared to our old Rockwood. I like to think our roads in Ontario are in pretty good shape so the few bumps that we always looked out for before make my wife and I laugh now with how smooth the Neptune is.

Before we bought the Neptune I did my research so I knew about the trailing arm issue and the 'rough ride'. Our coach had the source engineering arms already installed along with the koni shocks. The trailing arms where something I definitely paid attention to. I would only say that I would always want to drive something I was buying to decide for myself what it rode like.

With the price difference for the 2008 over new. Plus, for us, the big generator, the storage, the beautiful kitchen and all in a 35ft length with great maneuverability made the Neptune a winner.
Sprint Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:24 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
One other issue with the Neptune, including the one purchased above. At least in 2007, they came with the Allison 2500 transmission, which really limits you. Our friends were willing to add some engine modifications to give the ISB more power, but the Allison 2500 is at it's max torque rating. Again, any of the Monaco line above the Neptune came with the Allison 3000, which is standard on most motor homes.

If you want to be happy with your engine combination, you need to look for something with a minimum of a Cummins ISC or Cat C-7 and the Allison 3000.

Again, Monaco made a great coach and the Winnebago Journey/Itasca line made some great coaches in 2004 - 2008 in the 34'-36' range that were not underpowered.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:22 AM   #9

2002 holiday rambler neptune

I have had several Class A motor homes and finally decided to get a diesel pusher. My wife said no giant motor homes. Had Itasca 31 ft gas unit old one 1990 that had 140,000 miles. Engine and trans had been replaced at 100K.
Faithful old girl but just traveled close to home wanted to travel cross country and pull jeep. . Was looking for 31 ft diesel pusher and came across my 2002 31 ft Neptune in Arizona near my brother. Brought it without seeing it on my brothers inspection. Price was about $10k below others I had seen and it had only 45k miles. Had 5.9 ISB cummings and MH300 Allison.
Trailing arms were original but small Neptunes seem to not break so had welder friend make 4- 3/8" steel plates to reinforce the arms. Worked on motorhome doing all fluids and filter and such. Old owner had just did $4500 brake job and all new tires. Cruise control did not work, so had Cummins dealer updated engine software, as cruise is in Cummins management system No luck.
BY CHANCE found a broken wire in wire loom over the exhaust brake unit above the transmission! ALERT if you have cruise control issues. Now traveling cross country and on east coast. In middle of Kansas COOLANT LIGHT came on and had pin hole leak in heater hose. ALERT same place as cruise control wire break. Relocated heater hose away from Exhaust break.
ALL ROADMASTER CHASSIS OWNERS SHOULD CHECK AREA ABOVE EXHAUST BRAKE FOR RUBBING.
Ran out of diesel on a steep driveway with 15 gallons left in tank (hold 75 gallons) apparently tank doesn't have baffles it.
Also had a problem with a truck, got clipped and lost right side outside mirror which came off and broke right windshield. RAMCO factory, who made the mirror, made a exact new one and had it to me in 3 days!!! GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE. Windshied took 3 weeks of calls to get insurance and replacement unit installed, nightmare. (Duncan Glass is only source for windshields and not good customer service) BUT I love this motorhome. So smooth and quiet even with the 4 airbag suspension. Still has original shocks!
parkrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holiday rambler