Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2021, 07:39 PM   #1

Holy Koni

I just installed a set Koni FSD shocks on my 2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport, 20,500lb F53.

Holy smokes what a difference. I hate to throw around cliche phrases like ďnight and dayĒ but thatís really what it is. We only have about 30k miles on the OEM Bilsteins and I canít believe the difference in ride quality.

Also the difference in the shocks themselves. The Koniís weigh probably about twice as much as the Bilsteins and are significantly thicker as well.

Yeah theyíre pricey, but man what a difference.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2021, 08:10 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Yes !! I did the same just this week - 2021 Entegra Vision - F53 frame.
I was on the fence but glad I went full in, I really like the ride.
I also put on some Sumo Springs, yup they are worth it as well.
Iíve only got 5k on my coach, but really needed to do something about this breadbox on wheels ride - Iím happy with the results.
pdcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 09:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcruiser View Post
Yes !! I did the same just this week - 2021 Entegra Vision - F53 frame.
I was on the fence but glad I went full in, I really like the ride.
I also put on some Sumo Springs, yup they are worth it as well.
Iíve only got 5k on my coach, but really needed to do something about this breadbox on wheels ride - Iím happy with the results.
Yeah I had done the Sumoís a few years ago and was happy with the results on those alone. But the Koniís just take it to a whole new level.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:11 PM   #4

I put Koni’s on the front three weeks ago, and I totally agree with your assessment. The rears just arrived, going on this weekend. Way better than expected.
GOLDandGREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDandGREY View Post
I put Koniís on the front three weeks ago, and I totally agree with your assessment. The rears just arrived, going on this weekend. Way better than expected.
Youíll be blown away when you have all 4 on there.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:49 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm glad the Koni's did great for you. They did not make much difference at all when installed on mine. They made a slight improvement in ride smoothness and handling. I may try Sumo springs next to see if they improve the ride smoothness (I don't have a problem with sway or handling). Koni's are an excellent product, they just didn't do much for my particular motorhome.
Thanks,
wog099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 11:13 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I had Konis put on my diesel MH (Freightliner chassis) about a year ago. Made a huge improvement. I routinely drive one handed now if no wind, and I could never do that before. Dampens the bounce over potholes too.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 11:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wog099 View Post
I'm glad the Koni's did great for you. They did not make much difference at all when installed on mine. They made a slight improvement in ride smoothness and handling. I may try Sumo springs next to see if they improve the ride smoothness (I don't have a problem with sway or handling). Koni's are an excellent product, they just didn't do much for my particular motorhome.
Thanks,
Yeah that seems to be the consensus, itís very black and white with these things. Either itís a drastic improvement or not much at all. Thatís why I was on the fence about them for so long.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:20 PM   #9

Just swapped out my Bilsteins for Koni last week and noticed a huge difference in side to side movement. So far I've only driven across the park and back but noticed the difference right away. Have high hopes for improvement on things like bridge transitions where my front end would bounce up and down quite a bit. The Konis are supposed to have more rebound dampening than the Bilsteins they replaced.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 02:18 PM   #10

Another Koni fan...

Much improvement on our last coach with the Konis...those and a rear BlueOx track bar settled our handling problems on the W-22 chassis.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:36 AM   #11

We had put Koni FSD's on our Mini Cooper about 8 years ago and I didn't really notice the difference so when replacing the stock shocks on our RV I went with Bilstein. About a year later we took it to a shop that was doing some other work and they convinced me to go with Koni's. It was a tough decision because what I experienced with the Mini, but we did it and I too am glad they made the recommendation.
You're right I could tell right away that the ride was much inproved. The Bilsteins used to punch the bumps where the Koni's absorb them. I wasn't a fan prior (thought they were overrated), but they did transform the ride on our motorhome. I've recommended them many times since.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:26 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
You guys installing yourselves?
Old 10-17-2021, 05:27 PM   #13

I did it myself. Front was easy but the rear tires had to be removed for access. Not really hard but most guys don't have a 1" monster impact wrench to get the lugs loose.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:58 PM   #14

Update. 10 states later and I'm very happy with the Konis. Really reduced rolling and bouncing of the front up and down. My rig has more bounce than normal because I have a motorcycle on a lift on the back. It lightens the front. Two thumbs up for the konis.

Yes, did them myself. Used a 3/4 ratchet that I keep incase I have to manually crank my slide in. Had to buy a 1-1/8" socket from Lowes. Needed to use my leg to break the nuts loose. Fortunately I was parked in grass so I had something soft to lay on.

As mentioned the Konis are much heavier than the Bilsteins. Took a lot of muscle to extend them.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
koni