Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2016, 03:22 PM   #15

Get some gas and then get out of Leadville, one of the coldest places in CO. Get a small electric heater to provide some heat in the RV, trying to keep warm with engine running is not a good plan, generator should provide enough electric to run a small heater.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2016, 03:37 PM   #16

Running out of fuel is never any fun.
Made a couple of treks in my day...WY winters

Best of luck.

Oh ...you are not homeless
You are living in an RV....that IS your home
We did for 7 yrs.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way our MH is insurance that we will always have a home.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fay68 View Post
My family and I are homeless living in an old motorhome. There are 4 of is and two dogs. We have no idea what we are doing. We parked in a motel parking lot overnight to stay warm here in Leadville CO where the weather is freezing in single digits. At the moment our RV won't start and if we don't hurry up and move this thing, it could get towed. Please help.
Is this your motorhome?
Where have you been living before you moved into the MH? How long have you been living in the MH?
From your description you are out of gas. You haven't figured that out?
Have you tried to help yourself by buying gas?
[moderator edit]
Old 12-03-2016, 03:44 PM   #18

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Any other motor homes around you? When you say homeless does that mean broke (no money?)

You need to fill up the tank on the Motorhome. Diesel or gas (not sure which you have). Then you should only need to run the generator to charge your batteries.

Does the Motorhome have propane heater?

I would fill up the tank and head south somewhere warmer. Even Denver is quite cold right now. You need to get to a mobile home park or resort and stay a few days - see if there is anyone there that could help you figure out your systems.

Good luck
Old 12-03-2016, 03:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Is this your motorhome?
Where have you been living before you moved into the MH? How long have you been living in the MH?
Is this some sort of scam?

I was wondering the same thing
If you don't have money to buy gas then post it
Don't leave everyone guessing as to the what is going on
Old 12-03-2016, 06:07 PM   #20

Yes that was my thought be more specific with your questions because stating that you ran out of gas " what should I do" will only generate " get gas duh" responses.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:27 PM   #21

Since you have an RV, you are not homeless, just houseless. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:44 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Is this your motorhome?
[moderator edit]
Call the local Police Department, they'll help!

[moderator edit]
Old 12-03-2016, 06:48 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you have money to buy fuel? If not check out places like the Salvation Army for assistance.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Old 12-03-2016, 07:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELHUB View Post
I was wondering the same thing
If you don't have money to buy gas then post it
Don't leave everyone guessing as to the what is going on
My first thought after reading the first post was that this was a thread started by Cousin Eddie.

To the OP, try to get some fuel and get the rig started. If possible, head down to a place lower in altitude and hopefully warmer.. Try not to run the big engine when you're parked. I'd say on that old a rig, there is a chance of CO build up in inside while y'all are asleep. Use the propane heater if possible. Of course it needs to be in good shape so as not be a hazard itself. The batteries won't go as long in that cold weather so keep an eye on them and don't let them get too discharged. Run the generator to charge them when needed. Better yet, plug into 120 volts if that is that possible. If you do get to plug in, then a little 1500 watt cube heater will help.

Yes, the scenario presented sounds does a bit odd but i could imagine it taking place. If so, hopefully the OP has things under by control now.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:18 PM   #25
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Folks, some posts have been edited for violating our Be Courteous rule. This is a new member & we need to treat them respectfully. We may not know the full story here.

If you can be helpful, please post, but please don't jump to conclusions.

Thank you,
Lori-
Old 12-03-2016, 11:09 PM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
Do you have access to electricity??? If so, plug in and try to find a small electric heater... It will warm a Motorhome up quickly and is cheaper to use than running the propane furnace... I hardly ever use my furnace - I have a heater I use instead....

Any particular reason you are in Leadville???? Are you working there? Family??? If no is the answer, then get the heck out of there and head south as fast as you can..... The further south, the warmer and things are easier to deal with when its not freezing outside......... As was stated earlier - as long as you have your Motorhome you're NOT homeless... Just house less.... Thousands of people called "full-timers" live in their motorhomes year round. They usually follow the weather - warmer weather in winter and cooler weather in the summer....

Be really careful running the motor - carbon monoxide is a huge risk on older coaches....

Wish I was closer... I'd offer more than just words.... Texas is a long way from Leadville... Hang in there and try to get some gas in your rig and then MOVE !!!'n

Hey some of your CO RVers..... Step up and help them with some gas and such.... I know you will so here's a thanks in advance - THANKS !!!!

God bless and good luck....
Old 12-04-2016, 04:47 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Checking in on this post since going to bed last night I hope they catch everyone up when they have the time to do so.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 12-04-2016, 04:56 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I would have used whatever fuel you had to drive south as quickly as possible to warmer weather.

Once you have enough money to get out of dodge do it! Try Go Fund Me.

Drive to a warmer climate where you won't need as much heat to stay warm.

Two most important items for humans is #1-Food/Water, #2-Warmth.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Closed Thread

Tags
gas