Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2016, 02:04 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
I read through the post but maybe I missed it. Does the engine turn over when your try to start?
No the egine don't turn over. It doesn't even spark. One of the batteries has juice now but the other one doesn't. So could it be a fuse.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2016, 02:06 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Writer View Post
Whatever happens please come back and let us know so we can stop worrying about you ��
I will do that.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:20 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
God Bless our Blue, and all our Troops serving around the world in these turbulent times.

We can never say "Thank You" enough for their service.
Oh wow. That is an awesome story. ☺ I'm kinda scared to call the authorities. Our RV is not registered to us. Out son traded two cars for it and drove it home from Denver. It doesn't even have an ignition switch. That might sound and look a little sketchy to an officer of the law. It went through a lot of people before it went to us. I'm a little afraid of what an officer will do. The tags expired at the end of last month but we have a 30 day grace period. We wouldn't even have the RV if we had a place to go. But my son left it with us (after his wife took his son back east and he followed her.) so we Would have a roof over our head. But this RV sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth. We really don't want to deal with it, but at this time we don't have a choice. I just hope we can get it running soon and be on our way down the mountain. My husband is disabled and has to use oxygen at night so it's crucial that power is accessible to him.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #74

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You have a choice. I hope you make a good one before conditions become life threatening for you. I'd tell your son that if things get that bad, he should expect to help you two get to where he is. After all, don't families take care of each other in times of great need?

Don't be afraid to decide that you've had enough, that it's too much to deal with, and start forming an escape plan.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #75

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I am about 5 hours away from there. I am on a trip and would have to go home (riding with others so they would have to cut their trip short too) then get tools and then drive to Leadville. I apologize but I am not going to be able to make that happen today anyways.

Sorry
Jim
Old 12-04-2016, 04:44 PM   #76
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
I just finished reading a story about a state police officer providing assistance to man stranded on the side of the road. This happened over thanksgiving: This is a true story.

So fay68, give the local authorities a call. That old rv dying might just have saved your life.
Now the whole great story that deserves telling

Quote:
Trooper, His Family And Local Towing Company Go Above And Beyond To Help Stranded Motorist Get Home

(INDIANAPOLIS) - In the evening hours of Wednesday November 23rd, Trooper Dan Criswell and his trainee, Trooper TY Mays, were dispatched to check a disabled vehicle on I-70 westbound near the airport.

Upon arrival, the troopers found a white work van stalled in the roadway occupied by 59 year old Daniel Breaux of Church Point Louisiana. The two troopers pushed Breaux's van to a safe location on the shoulder and began to strike up a conversation, offering help to the man. They soon learned Mr. Breaux had traveled to Indianapolis to help a family member move to the area and he was on his way back home to Louisiana, but unfortunately only had $100, which was just enough for gas money to get home. He believed the problem with his van was the alternator. Trooper Criswell offered all assistance he could think of, however Mr. Breaux politely declined and said he was going to call some friends for help. Criswell and Mays left Mr. Breaux with his van along I-70, but they soon returned with a warm meal for him, again offering to give him a ride or help him. Mr. Breaux was confident he would reach somebody for help and politely declined any assistance from the troopers.

Trooper Dan Criswell was unable to stop thinking about Mr. Breaux and how polite and respectful he was. Early this Thanksgiving morning, while off duty, Criswell decided to drive back to the location he last saw Breaux to be sure he was able to get help. Much to his surprise, Breaux was still there, asleep in his van. Criswell stopped to speak with him, this time determined to get him help with his vehicle. Trooper Criswell contacted several towing companies in the area, all of which told him the price for their service would be much more than the $100 Mr. Breaux had. Criswell then called D&D Auto and Towing LLC out of Clayton Indiana and explained the situation. Without hesitation, D&D towing responded to the disabled van and offered their tow services free of charge. They towed the broken down van back to Trooper Criswell's house where his brother Kyle, a mechanic, was on his way to meet them and work on the van. Upon inspection of the van, Kyle determined the problems were much more than an alternator. As Trooper Criswell and his brother Kyle began talking about options, their other brother Dustin Criswell, Vice Principal at Perry Meridian Middle School, arrived to help. Dustin happened to own an old pick-up truck that was no longer used and he offered to give Mr. Breaux the pick-up, as a gift to keep, so he could safely return home. Instead of working on the broken down van, the brothers worked on the pick-up to ensure it was ready for a road trip.

Going even further, the Criswell brothers decided to invite their new friend over to their parents' home to celebrate Thanksgiving with their family. During dinner the family spent time getting to know Mr. Breaux and even took up a collection to ensure the military veteran had enough money for everything he might need on his trip home.

Police officers often go above and beyond expectations and this is just one example of selfless dedication to service. A small family owned business, D & D Auto and Towing generously offered their services, which started this chain of kindness.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Old 12-04-2016, 04:58 PM   #77

Ford Super Duty Owner
Nothing special for our Blue Warriors - this is the standard for the officers I've seen and unfortunately we don't hear enough about. Well done and thanks for the share John.

Old 12-04-2016, 05:01 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
You have a choice. I hope you make a good one before conditions become life threatening for you. I'd tell your son that if things get that bad, he should expect to help you two get to where he is. After all, don't families take care of each other in times of great need?

Don't be afraid to decide that you've had enough, that it's too much to deal with, and start forming an escape plan.
My son would help if he could. He said he's getting a job back east and he's gonna send for us as soon as he can.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:39 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by fay68 View Post
My son would help if he could. He said he's getting a job back east and he's gonna send for us as soon as he can.
Your son has a lot to take care of for his own situation. It is very hard to support a new young family when getting started, let alone trying to take care of 2 parents and 2 other siblings and 2 dogs.

Do you have plans beyond living in an RV? Are you working or able to work? As others have suggested have you sought any aid from Social Services or other organizations?

You mentioned that the coach is not registered in your name, doesn't have a current registration and has a hot wired ignition. Do you have a bill of sale or anything else proving ownership?

You said you were not comfortable getting involved with authorities as the situation would raise suspicions. As long as you have something showing it was purchased by your son or you, you should be OK with the authorities. Assuming everything else is in order. At least I would think

I don't mean to sound insensitive, but it seems trying to live full time in a 37 year old RV will only continue to make things more difficult over time. As I mentioned earlier, even if you resolve this problem, a 37 year old RV is going to continue to be problematic to live in full time.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:32 PM   #80

Fay68, just reading these posts about your situation makes me worried. Please take the advice you are being offered and call the local authorities. I think when they see your situation, regardless of the shortcomings you describe (hot wired ignition, no papers, etc.) they will be compassionate and understanding.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:18 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcannonball View Post
Fay68, just reading these posts about your situation makes me worried. Please take the advice you are being offered and call the local authorities. I think when they see your situation, regardless of the shortcomings you describe (hot wired ignition, no papers, etc.) they will be compassionate and understanding.
Agreed!
Old 12-04-2016, 09:37 PM   #82

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Faye....Can we ask the name of the hotel where you are parked.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
Old 12-04-2016, 09:47 PM   #83

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Trying not to be insensitive, but if the vehicle isn't properly titled, licensed, INSPECTED, and insured.....I'm not sure that 25K# vehicle with brake problems should be rolling around the hills of Colorado.

Sounds like there is a high potential somebody may get seriously hurt.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:19 PM   #84

Forest River Owners Club
First thing you need to do is locate a shelter close to you.... Even if you have to bum a ride from someone, get to the closest shelter.... Start calling all the local churches and explain your situation and I'm positive one or more of them will step up and assist you in some fashion.... At 10K feet you are absolutely putting ur lives at risk....

Staying in that 37 yr old coach that is a death trap is totally the WRONG thing to do !!!! You can always work on the coach once you r all in a safe location.... Also - you said the motel was threatening to have you towed ???! Why ??? Let's face it - this can't be a peak season situation for them... I mean really ....

Sitting in the coach hoping for a miracle isn't going to accomplish anything.... You've got to be proactive and do the things I've mentioned above....

Good luck.....
Closed Thread

Tags
gas