Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2016, 10:56 AM   #99

To the OP: I am very sad to read about the situation that you are in. I didn't read all 7 pages and don't know all of your life story but from what I read you need a complete life change not just advice about this RV.

US unemployment is presently at a 9 year low. Do either of you have any physical limitations? I heard that construction is booming again? Up here in Vancouver, Canada anyone that wants work can walk on any construction site and get hired immediately. My company works for construction companies and they are hiring traffic flaggers for $22.00 per hour.

I pray you get warm and find a new path that leads you to a better life!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2016, 11:44 AM   #100

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
What is your husband suggesting you all do? How are you staying warm anyway? Your able body son should return and get the two of you out of there, make some calls for you.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:46 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by fay68 View Post
We have the bill of sale to my son from who he bought it from and a bill of sale to us from our son and we have the title. There's no point in getting it registered If we can't get it fixed. We don't have enough money for both. We are thinking of selling it, but we are not gonna he able to sell it overnight. I don't even know the first step in trying to sell it. How can we get rid of it or sell it legally?
Before you try selling the RV you should go to the local DMV and show them the paper work you have. Ask them if it is truly yours and if you can sell it with the documents you have.
My state has a title law. Any vehicle you want to sell newer than 1971 must have a title in the seller's name before they can resell it legally. Many if not most states have similar laws. Don't compound your problems with selling something which is not legally yours. If you have to title the vehicle ask how long it would take before you get the title back in your name.
I'm not trying to rub salt into a wound. I am only trying to help you do things right for your own protection.
In the meantime please find safe shelter.
Lynn
Old 12-05-2016, 11:57 AM   #102

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
It is insured, and we have the title.
Quote:
We have the bill of sale to my son from who he bought it from and a bill of sale to us from our son and we have the title. There's no point in getting it registered If we can't get it fixed....
Quote:
A guy came out to help us but it still don't get power after putting 2 grand new batteries in it. As far as the registration goes, it hasn't been registered for the 3 previous owners. It just changed hands. I would have to locate the real owner and have them sign it over to us. But we don't know who or where they are. All we know is her name.
Quote:
Our RV is not registered to us. Out son traded two cars for it and drove it home from Denver. It doesn't even have an ignition switch.
Quote:
We only pulled in because the brakes were failing and the roads were icy.
Quote:
Well my husband, who is also a veteran explained to the authorities our situation, and he told us if he sees the RV on the road, he will tow it.
I'm not sure I would put another dime into fixing up that RV, until you figure out if you are the legitimate actual owner. You may have someone's title, and a broken ignition switch, and a piece of paper that you gave some money to someone for 'physical' control of the RV.

It appears legally however, that from a DMV perspective someone else owns the RV and hasn't signed over the title to you, you don't have the RV titled in your name, nor inspected or registered in your name. I'm suspect of the statement that it's insured, as I've never dealt with any insurance company who was willing to insure a vehicle that I didn't own. For all you know someone prior to you could have stolen the RV from someone who uses it as a mountain get-away, and passed it on giving a bill of sale and the old hardcopy title that they found in the RV, to an unsuspecting you.

Any money you put into the RV trying to fix it up and getting it running, could all be lost if the original owner says it's still his/hers. That includes the 2K you've already spent, and any recent dollars as well.

I think you first need to determine whether you can become the legitimate owners of the RV as it sits (the DMV would agree to issue you the title in your name, you could pay any sales/property taxes, you could register it to get a tag, and get insurance for it in your name. If you can't become the legitimate owner, then I'm not sure of your legal exit strategy if the property was stolen. The statement from the official indicating they'd tow it if seen on the road, makes me believe it's not street legal at this point, because that's exactly what they do if a vehicle is not legal to be on the road.

If you COULD become the owner, then the 2nd thing I'd do is to make a determination whether you actually WANT to do that. The cost to fix it up and get it running, and do all of the above may be more than it is ever worth. You should see if somebody with RV and Chassis knowledge can inspect it and give you an assessment as to what it would cost to make it road safe and have working systems.

All this is occurring while you have the problem of trying to find a safe place to live temporarily.

Good luck, hope it works out well in your favor.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:28 PM   #103
Community Moderator

Fay68 don't be necessarily dismayed by all the advice saying they don't think it's worth fixing....... I believe your original post said both the main engine AND generator were running for more than 12 hours before they ran out of fuel!

So it could just be something simple.....then drive to a campground at a lower altitude where you can plug into power to stay warm.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:50 PM   #104

Tiffin Owners Club
assuming the Onan is a 70's model they go for upward of 2,000 on ebay. If it has been replace somewhere along the line it might be worth more Look on the case of the generator and put out the model number not just a 4 KW. Getting it removed from the coach will be a trick. I think the best bet would be to sell it to a salvage yard hopefully a RV Salvage Yard. Most Salvage Yards only need a title for the purchase your having the two bill of sales and the title should be good for a salvage sale. Not so sure of your location but plenty of yards down the mountain and around Denver. Most larger salvage yards have their own tow vehicles.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:05 PM   #105

Yesterday, I sent a private message to a fellow RVer in Colorado, who participates in another forum. He responded with the following suggestions:

-------
There is a mobile RV guy in Buena Vista--which is only about 20 miles from Leadville--who does a lot of work here in the resort where I work, and has done some work for me as well. He is very qualified and very honest--not necessarily the least expensive person around, but I trust his work. His name is Fred, and he owns www.rv-medic.com, or 719-216-6476.

As someone else had asked, Leadville is not a great place to find help, as it is not a wealthy area--basically it is a bedroom community for folks who can't afford to live in the resort areas of Vail or Summit County (Breckenridge/Keystone/Copper Mountain), but commute over the mountain passes to work there every day.

I would definitely suggest checking with local churches (mine is not local--we are about 70 miles away) for assistance--we all maintain emergency funds for emergencies such as this.

There is also a Facebook group over in Summit County that is ostensibly to buy and sell things for locals, but it also acts as a de-facto local bulletin board, so people also post things like this (and some of the members are in Leadville). They can try posting on "One Man's Junk Summit County" on Facebook--I'm sure they will get some response from there. Even if they have to head over to Summit to pick something up, the Summit County bus system does also go to Leadville a couple of times per day.
-------

You might call the mobile RV guy and ask him how much he would charge to come out, assess your rig, and give you his expert opinion./ That way, you would get advice from an experienced person after examining your RV. If you still have hopes of resurrecting this RV, the service call might be well worth the money.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:19 PM   #106

On the topic of the 4KW Onan it is worth at most $500 if in used good running condition depending on the model, RV pull outs will often sell for less in the $250-$400 range, from time to time I have seen them sell for as little as $200 in running condition. Sure you see plenty of people ebay listing them for $1,500 or more, what you don't see is people selling them for that except after a natural disaster and even then it is only in certain locations since they are way too expensive to ship.

p.s. here is one list about 150 miles from where I live posted in the last 24 hours https://houston.craigslist.org/tls/5905634572.html The square generator end and control box style tells me it is a late 1970's model
Old 12-05-2016, 03:41 PM   #107

Hopefully Fay will make sure she has legal ownership (registered in her name) before starting to sell off pieces of it. Otherwise could have more problems down the road.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:46 PM   #108

Leadville will be getting down to 7 degrees overnight with a high of 23.

Staying warm should be the top priority now.

Here is the contact information for the Leadville social services.

Human Services home page | Lake County, Colorado
Old 12-05-2016, 03:54 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Leadville will be getting down to 7 degrees overnight with a high of 23.

Staying warm should be the top priority now.

Here is the contact information for the Leadville social services.

Human Services home page | Lake County, Colorado
Yeah, and tomorrow night, according to the NWS forecast, the low is predicted to be -6 with 1-3 inches of snow predicted ...daytime high on Wednesday being 8 degrees (CLICK)

Fay, please get shelter. Staying in an RV with no heat means your pipes will freeze too so no plumbing either ...and anticipate damage to plumbing once freeze is over.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:44 PM   #110

Tiffin Owners Club
This should put an end to this thread. Below is an email send by the Leadville Chief of Police in response to several of us contacting his department with concern for Fay and her family.

All,

I must apologize for the delay in responding to some of your e-mails. I wanted you all to know, I had the patrol section check on the stranded RV this Morning. The RV is actually in the parking lot of a motel outside my city limits. I called The Sheriff’s Office and spoke with them about the situation. The family has been put up at the motel the last three nights by one of the local churches. The S.O. is at a loss as to why they keep posting about being cold etc. etc. I wanted to let each of you know the family was being attended to. I do not know what the final outcome of the situation will be but they have been connected with social services in the Leadville area and have been given, at least for the last three nights, a warm place to stay.

Thank you for caring enough to contact us.

Have a wonderful Holiday Season.

Respectfully,

R.W. Glenny Jr.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:13 PM   #111

God Bless, and to all a Good Night
Old 12-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #112

I second the "God Bless" and I want to thank all of you irv2 forum members who took the time to offer helpful advice to Fay and her family.
Closed Thread

Tags
gas