Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2016, 10:42 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Fay stated "no power to the truck". Sounds like the motorhome won't even crank at this time. She also stated that "electrical tape and vice grips" are holding wiring in place. These issues need to be addressed before anything else.

I have a feeling the batteries that were replaced are coach batteries. The chassis battery is probably under the hood and is dead. Fay, if this is the case then is there a switch labeled "emergency start" or something similar up by the driver seat? If you find it, activate it while trying to start the engine. Since the engine did run out of gas, it may take a bit of cranking to get gas up to the carburetor, along with a few pumps of the accelerator pedal to get it to start. This assuming that the rig has a carburetor and is not fuel injected (not sure when carbs went by the wayside).

As someone else mentioned, if there are two gas tanks, then you need to make sure you're trying to run off the tank that you put gas in. i'd think there is a switch near the driver's area for this as well. I'm thinking that if you get power to the motorhome and the driver's gauges, then you should be able to tell if the right tank is selected by looking at the gas gauge itself. If it's above empty, then you're probably good to go.
We put gas in both tanks. We have been looking for the fuel selector switch but I just don't see it anwhere. We found out that the brake reservoir is under the drivers seat. I would have never looked there. I don't know if the generator takes gas to run or if it runs off propane. Someone that saw our posts on Facebook is looking at it now. I tried looking for the manual online, but I can't find it anywhere. 79 Titan MT
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2016, 10:43 AM   #58

I read through the post but maybe I missed it. Does the engine turn over when your try to start?
Old 12-04-2016, 11:24 AM   #59

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Whatever happens please come back and let us know so we can stop worrying about you ��
Old 12-04-2016, 11:38 AM   #60

Given the amount of electrical tape and vice grips keeping things connected found on the RV by Fay, I would be very concerned how many 'custom' things were done to this 37 year old RV to keep it going.

My advice to you would be to find another housing solution if at all possible. Even if you solve this issue, it will be just a short amount of time before you find yourself in a similar situation with another problem. Keeping an a 37 year old RV running well enough to live in full time will be almost a full time job for a handy person.

Wishing you the best of luck
Old 12-04-2016, 12:04 PM   #61

We put gas in both tanks. We have been looking for the fuel selector switch but I just don't see it anwhere. We found out that the brake reservoir is under the drivers seat. I would have never looked there. I don't know if the generator takes gas to run or if it runs off propane. Someone that saw our posts on Facebook is looking at it now. I tried looking for the manual online, but I can't find it anywhere. 79 Titan MT.Where would the fuse box be?
Old 12-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Writer View Post
Where exactly are you? You can private message me or send me an email at jonejam222@gmail.com - I am not a mechanic but do have some experience with RV's.
I am in Leadville CO
Old 12-04-2016, 12:08 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
I read through the post but maybe I missed it. Does the engine turn over when your try to start?
No the egine don't turn over. It doesn't even spark. One of the batteries has juice now but the other one doesn't. So could it be a fuse.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:27 PM   #64

I agree with raineman's suggestion. You need to find something else for shelter.

From the description so far, it seems that someone has either sold or given you an old motorhome that is neither roadworthy nor safe.

Motorhome electrical systems are quite complex and their design varies significantly. I could tell you a lot of detailed information about mine, but that information might not help you much with yours. For instance, mine has at least 3 12 volt "fuseboxes" that I know of. One is inside the front panel, One is under the dash (which flips up) and one is in the middle of the coach near the 120 volt breakers. I know approximately which one to look in for different functions. Yours may be similar, but details will vary.

You asked about a manual. For most motorhomes, there is not one single manual. We are fortunate enough to have all the manuals for ours. The main "owner's manual" is very generic and doesn't help much with most problems. We also have a large binder containing the individual manuals for all the components, such as the water heater, the furnace, the electrical converter/charger, the air conditioners, etc. These individual manuals are the ones that have real information in them.

Anyway, I would suggest that you are in way over your head, are in a very tough situation to learn how to operate and maintain an RV, and have a very poor (perhaps worthless) RV to start with. Sorry to be so discouraging, but that's how it looks from here.

May God bless you and help you to work out a way to improve your situation.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:38 PM   #65
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
It's obvious the Fay is in WAAY over her head! Aren't there any members close enough to give her some on-site help?
Old 12-04-2016, 12:42 PM   #66

If I were within 50 miles of Leadville, I would be on my way. However, I am in Maine. That's a bit too far!
Old 12-04-2016, 01:24 PM   #67

I just finished reading a story about a state police officer providing assistance to man stranded on the side of the road. This happened over thanksgiving:
A man broke down in his van on the interstate. The police helped him get off the road and onto the shoulder. The officer offered further assistance and the man declined stating that he had relatives that would help. The next day the officer followed up and spotted the man still stuck on the shoulder. The man was not able to get assistant from the relatives as hoped. The man also did not have funds for a tow service. The officer called for a tow service to have the mans vehicle towed to the officers own home. The tow service comped the tow fee. The officers family fed the stranger thanksgiving dinner and the officers brother offered to work on the mans vehicle for free. It turned out that the vehicle was beyond repair. The officers brother, who didn't really even know the man, gave the guy one of his spare vehicles. This is a true story.

So fay68, give the local authorities a call. That old rv dying might just have saved your life.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:28 PM   #68

Ok, an easy check of your chassis battery, aka engine battery, is to turn on your headlights, do they come on? If not that battery is dead or has bad wiring, now if they come on, try to crank the engine, and see if they go off or dim out, if they go out or real dim, same thing, bad battery or wiring, ie. Bad connections or corrosion possible,
Now, if you can't find a battery switch, "boost" or "both" you can use jumper cables from your new batteries to the low ones.
Good luck, sounds like you need it
Old 12-04-2016, 01:55 PM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
I just finished reading a story about a state police officer providing assistance to man stranded on the side of the road. This happened over thanksgiving:
A man broke down in his van on the interstate. The police helped him get off the road and onto the shoulder. The officer offered further assistance and the man declined stating that he had relatives that would help. The next day the officer followed up and spotted the man still stuck on the shoulder. The man was not able to get assistant from the relatives as hoped. The man also did not have funds for a tow service. The officer called for a tow service to have the mans vehicle towed to the officers own home. The tow service comped the tow fee. The officers family fed the stranger thanksgiving dinner and the officers brother offered to work on the mans vehicle for free. It turned out that the vehicle was beyond repair. The officers brother, who didn't really even know the man, gave the guy one of his spare vehicles. This is a true story.

So fay68, give the local authorities a call. That old rv dying might just have saved your life.

God Bless our Blue, and all our Troops serving around the world in these turbulent times.

We can never say "Thank You" enough for their service.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:56 PM   #70

Tiffin Owners Club
Fay if You still don't have any help Call My Cell 512 431 2940 Richard Kesselus
Closed Thread

Tags
gas