Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Can you please explain?

This is not my understanding and I didn't get one when I got my non CDL Class B in Texas.
There is no air brake endorsement in Texas any more. If you take the driving test in a vehicle NOT equipped with air brakes, you will have a restriction on your license that says "No air brakes". At least that is the way it is supposed to work.
Lee L is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2013, 05:52 AM   #30

Gee, I drove an 18 wheeler for several years, and I always thought that CDL was Combination Driver Lumper (you x 18wheeler drivers knows what that means)

I don't know how other RV's are set up, but mine doesn't have a brake pressure gauge. Only the gauge for the primary and secondary air tanks, so holding 90 Lbs of pressure would only be a guess. Course I had to do the Air Brake test when I got my CDL many years ago.
A new wrinkle I just received a notice from Missouri, where my CDL license was issued, and now I must furnish info on the type of vehicle I am driving. Reads as follows:

A new Missouri law effective May 1 2013 requires all commercial driver license (CDL) holders to provide information regarding the type of commercial motor vehicle operation they drive in or expect to drive in with their CDL. Drivers operating in certain types of commerce will be required to submit a current medical examiners certificate to obtain a "Certified" medical status as part of their driving record as required by state and federal law (See Section 302.768, RSMo, and 49 CFR Section 383.71).

You must visit a Missouri license office within 60 days from the date on the front of this notice to certify to the type of commerce you operate in and provide proof of medical certification, if required. Failure to provide the certification will result in a downgrade of your commercial driver license status.

For more information concerning the medical certification requirement, please visit our website at dor.mo.gov/drivers/commercial.

NOTE: A processing fee will be charged by the license office.
unquote.

I really like that last part, as I just renewed my license last year and it's good until 2017, now I have to pay another fee, and I'll bet they have no idea what category the RV fits into. And I want to keep the CDL because as we have learned some states requires it.
Just thought some people might find this enlightening.

JIm
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #31

My son wanted to learn how to drive. I taught him in my manual tranny PU. Went to vacant parking lot often. Set up cones. First he had to drive through them only using clutch & brake. No gas pedal. Then when he started being a know it all I had him back through them. Still not using gas pedal. When he finished taking his test examiner complimented on being really skilled at using the clutch on hills when stopping for signals etc. LOL
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #32

When I was a transit bus driver, we had to do an air-brake test every day as part of our pre-trip inspection of the coach. It was real simple. I don't have a copy of the Washington Stae CDL handbook, so I'm going from memories of 5 years ago.

With the engine not running the parking brake off and pretty much full air-tank pressure, you repeatedly operate the brake pedal to deplete the pressure. You have to check that the low pressure warning horn and the automatic engagement of the parking brake occur at the appropriate pressures. The you go outside and drain the moisture collector on the air tank (if it's not an automatic one). Come back aboard, start the engine and verify the warnings go off again - then you're done. Takes about 4 minutes.

It's really a check that ALL drivers of air-braked chassis should do before they head out each day. I'm willing to bet that very few RV drivers with air brakes do it that regularly.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #33
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Took my tests in Marble Falls, TX. Studied the last chapter of the CDL manual. Stuff like when to use emergency flashers and when to put out reflective triangles. Wear a ball cap so the tester can see you turn to check mirrors. No backing or parallel parking. Waited for the "chuff" from air system before taking off with the tester. Reading between your lines, I think you are in Texas-San Antonio area. If so, I recommend a trip up to Marble Falls.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #34
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellerotto View Post
I have been RVing now for about 10 years. We first started off with a class c Dutchman and loved it so much that we transitioned three years ago we bought an Allegro RED. I can't even begin to explain how much fun it is. I am 5'2 and was a bit worried at first about driving such a big coach. I spent time watching u tube videos explaining the various techniques and tips to driving. I work hard to improve my skills whenever I can. So far we have put about 30,000 miles on the RV. Last summer we traveled from San Antonio to Key West. Now I have figured out that all of these miles have been done illegally. I just figured out that in Texas I need a class B license to drive. I am horrified at my lack of knowledge when it came to this. So I have decided to fix this problem as quickly as possible. So I was hoping someone out there could give me some advice on some test taking strategies. I am a bit fearful of the air brakes portion of the exam. Do I have to point out the features of the air brakes? I once again watched a few u tube videos over the air brake inspection/ check off prior to driving but these were all done in trucks with trailers and none looked like my setup. My knowledge of mechanical things is limited. I know that I can learn it but I really need some guidance. I understand that there is a written test and I know what to study. What are they going to make me do on the driving part? I have never tried to parallel park my RV and I am not sure why I would ever do this. I can back up like a beast so I am not worried about that. What if I fail and I can't drive my RV home. Will they let me boondock at the DMV? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
After reading the various experiences of those of us who have taken the class B-non CDL test in Texas, it's plain to see that, for the most part, each DL tester interprets the test requirements differently. No wonder there is so much confusion! All I know is what my own experience was-no air brake test, no parallel parking. The tester mentioned parallel parking but immediately said "No, we won't do that." If you are using a tow bar to tow your toad, you CAN'T back it up without damaging the tow bar and probably your coach. (Don't ask how I know; it's too embarrassing to tell the story-maybe in a few more years.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post
After reading the various experiences of those of us who have taken the class B-non CDL test in Texas, it's plain to see that, for the most part, each DL tester interprets the test requirements differently. No wonder there is so much confusion! All I know is what my own experience was-no air brake test, no parallel parking. The tester mentioned parallel parking but immediately said "No, we won't do that." If you are using a tow bar to tow your toad, you CAN'T back it up without damaging the tow bar and probably your coach. (Don't ask how I know; it's too embarrassing to tell the story-maybe in a few more years.
Do you have to bring the toad for the driving test?
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
In IL...NO. They don't even want to "go there" and that is good. LOL
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #37
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
I did not.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
To the OP:
This might make you feel better to Know If you had traveled though Ohio I'd wouldn't written you ticket for No valid operators License because Ohio doesn't require a class B of any kind for a Motorhome.
So I wouldn't think all your miles were driven illegally.
It is nice to know that you would not have given him a ticket and I belive your statement is something that I have predicted in other posts. If you drive through a state that does not have a special license or endorsement for motor homes then chances are the police are not going to give a ticket for not having one. However due to the full faith and credit act you are legally responsible for having the correct drivers license for the state it was issued in. If the OP is a texas resident and has a texas license they have to have the correct license for texas no matter where they are. This also applies the other way. I have an Arkansas license which does not require an endorsement for MH. When I drive in Texas I do not have to have an endorsement even though Texas law requires one for their drivers.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
I took my Texas class B non-CDL test about 3 years ago in Granbury. Written test was passed with ease by just reading the part of the booklet that was for the Texas class B non-CDL. As for the driving test, the examiner walked me through the steps to check the air brake system. I did know how to do it but she said I was not required to so she would walk me through the steps. I was told before I got there that I need to chock the vehicle before the test. We did a walk around, made sure the air was up, tested the brakes, placed in park and unchocked the MH and away we went on the driving test.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
To the OP:
This might make you feel better to Know If you had traveled though Ohio I'd wouldn't written you ticket for No valid operators License because Ohio doesn't require a class B of any kind for a Motorhome.
So I wouldn't think all your miles were driven illegally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
IMHO, I don't think that is a very good piece of legal advice. Granted, a state that doesn't have a non-CDL license requirement might not recognize that issue. That doesn't mean someone driving on a license with that requirement is driving with a proper license. I certainly wouldn't want to test that theory after an accident and then making a court appearance and/or making an insurance claim.
THAT was NOT Legal Advice. I was trying to make the OP feel better. Although I can see you want specifics So here they are:
In Ohio When I was last (2004) an active LEO I could not have given a ticket to anyone driving a RV from another state For not having anything more than a standard operators license. That is all that Ohio requires. Many states are like that.
its all in how the laws are written.
Another example is the window tint laws. Ohio is very specific about theirs. So are many other states. I could NOT write anyone a ticket from ANY other state for their window tint because of the wording in Ohio's tint law.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:16 PM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
THAT was NOT Legal Advice. I was trying to make the OP feel better. Although I can see you want specifics So here they are:
In Ohio When I was last (2004) an active LEO I could not have given a ticket to anyone driving a RV from another state For not having anything more than a standard operators license. That is all that Ohio requires. Many states are like that.
its all in how the laws are written.
Another example is the window tint laws. Ohio is very specific about theirs. So are many other states. I could NOT write anyone a ticket from ANY other state for their window tint because of the wording in Ohio's tint law.
I am not giving legal advice but I agree with you. In instances such as these the state laws you are driving through do not override the state laws you are licensed in. This whole area can get very tricky and my advice is to be very polite to the police office and claim ignorance if he says you are in violation. Even if he is wrong I still advise that. If you get a ticket you are going to have to go to court or hire an attorney or in some manner get the ticket dismissed. If the police officer is incorrect he is just going by what he believes is the law. If you argue with him he is going to give you a ticket plain and simple. IF you tell him you did not know the law in the state you are in he might take mercy and not give you a ticket just a warning.

Various aspects of the law vary from state to state. IF your state does not require insurance on a vehicle i believe if you drive in a state that does require it they can give you a ticket for now insurance. Not certain on that but I believe I am correct and the other one that I believe is a big one is carrying a firearm. Arkansas has a new law that says if you are traveling outside of your county you can have a concealed weapon in your car. You do not have to have a license or anything just be out of your county. I would not try that in chicago or new york or anywhere in Massachusetts.

I believe that if you are stopped by a police officer in Arkansas for instance and he just happened to move from Texas, You are driving a RV and do not have the RV endorsement on it he would be able to write you a ticket even though Arkansas does not require one because you are not in compliance with the laws of the state issueing the drivers license.

Just be nice and polite to the officer when he stops you and plead ignorance It is one of the best defenses in the world and I will not elaborate on how well I know that.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #42

Mekanic

I really did appreciate your original post about not giving me a ticket. I knew it was not legal advice more than just trying to make me feel better. Like I said in an earlier post I am reading the CDL manual and hopefully next week I will get a chance to take the written test. Then on my next day off take the driving test. I am a school teacher so it will more than likely have to wait until Thanksgiving break. My original concern was that I was completely clueless about the need for the special license. I have friends who drive RV's larger than mine and I am pretty sure that they are not licensed. I am sure there are a great number of people who are unaware. This is not an excuse. I thought that maybe my admission would possibly make others aware. It may be just my own insecurities but as a female driver I feel a bit under the microscope. I am also very small. When I first started driving the bus (which I have named xena warrior princess) I noticed that as people passed me they would look at me and chuckle. I never knew why then I saw a picture of myself driving and I realized that I looked like a little kid driving a huge machine. If I were a cop I would pull me over. I need to take care of my licensure.
Pellerotto is offline   Reply With Quote