Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2021, 06:37 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Horse Power

Just sold our 2003 American Eagle. It had the Cummins 400 HP ISL / Allison 3000 combo and was a pleasure to drive. We are upgrading to a slightly newer Tag Axle rig. Looking at a Monaco Dynasty. It has the same 400 HP ISL / Allison 3000 combo. Published GVW on the Monaco is 11,460 more than the Eagle.

I donít have data on gear ratios for either rig.

Experienced comments are appreciated. Am I going to feel under powered in the Monaco?
W5WTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2021, 06:56 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W5WTX View Post
Just sold our 2003 American Eagle. It had the Cummins 400 HP ISL / Allison 3000 combo and was a pleasure to drive. We are upgrading to a slightly newer Tag Axle rig. Looking at a Monaco Dynasty. It has the same 400 HP ISL / Allison 3000 combo. Published GVW on the Monaco is 11,460 more than the Eagle.

Experienced comments are appreciated. Am I going to feel under powered in the Monaco?
I think the cummins 400 Hp motors are pretty good. In 9 yrs mine never gave me a problem. I'd say to not overthink it and let it deter you. Especially if both Cummins 400 ISL's with allison 3000s.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:01 PM   #3

Since Cummins derates the engine to prevent transmission damage when making a WOT start from a dead stop, I doubt you'll notice appreciable difference.
Question, with the American Eagle did you ever feel like you wanted more HP when climbing a mountain grade?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:24 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I did not do a lot of mountain driving in the '03 Eagle. I did make some fairly long / steep grades on the trip from Amarillo, TX to Red River, NM. Never felt like I was lacking for power in the Eagle. I did of course have to down shift to lower gears to make the climbs.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5WTX View Post

OK the newer Monaco has a higher GVWR than your old Eagle But what does it actually weigh? Maybe it doesn't weigh more but due to the tag has a very generous carry capacity. If that's the case it would drive the same.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:50 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What year Dynasty? Later years came with the ISM or ISX or at least the 425 hp ISL, but in the early 2000's even the 42 foot tag models had the ISL 400. Yeah, I think you may notice it when climbing mountain grades, but not to the point where it is objectionable unless you are the type who gets frustrated when others pass you. These aren't race cars, right?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:55 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The difference between the two rigs can be sizeable. We had a 36' 2005 Monaco Diplomat with 400ISL and Allison 3000. The Diplomat weighed in at 32K. Out west, we could pull any grade, while towing a 4 door Chevrolet Silverado at 55 mph+. Even if we were cut off, I could build speed back to 55 or 60 mph.

Fast forward.....we bought a 40', 2014 Newmar Dutch Star with a 450 ISL and tag axle, that weighed in at 40K. We towed a 2016 GMC Canyon, out west, but found the best we could do on the Grapevine and Oregon grades was 45 mph.

Our current coach, a 40', 2019 Newmar Dutch Star with a 450 ISL and tag axle, weighs in at 42K. Pulling a 6K Ford Raptor, we're down to 38 -40 mph on the Grapevine and Oregon grades.

So.......a 10K increase in weight, dragging a third axle and more than likely a taller coach with a larger front nose pushing through the wind, will not pull as hard as your older coach.

With that said, we still like our coach, but know on some 6+ degree grades, will be just ahead of the slowest truck.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:45 PM   #8

I had a new 2008 Monaco Dynasty that I kept for 7.5 yrs. and almost 70K miles. It was 42 ft., 4 slides with the 425 hp Cummins with 1,200 lb. ft. of torque. We pulled a 3,400 lb. Honda CR-V.

We weighed in at 40,039 lbs. on the last weigh-in. That coach was slow on hills. If I lost speed behind a slow truck, I was a dead goose..... I couldn't build up enough speed to pass.

So, when I decided to build another coach, the Prevost had a 500 hp Volvo with 1,750 lb. ft. of torque, 4 slides, 1.5 baths, 45 ft. We weighed in at 55,500 lbs., I kept the coach 6.5 yrs. and 63,000 miles.

I was concerned about the passing abilities and it did fine. It had plenty of pull power although on big hills, it did slow down but not like the Dynasty. I pulled the 4,200 lb. Lincoln that I still own.

Good luck and safe travels!
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:38 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
TwoJayHawks,

good point. I was looking at GVW numbers.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:40 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Gary RVRoamer,

Looking at a 2006 Dynasty Platinum IV. It is the 40 foot offering but spec says it is actually 41'.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:15 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The 2006 Dynasty is a very nice coach. It is built on the "S" series Roadmaster chassis with 10 outboard airbags and 10 shocks. The 2006 is the first year for the Magnum inverter vs the previous Trace inverter. It will also have the Intellitec lighted multiplex switch system and a beautiful hardwood interior.
Monaco geared the ISL slightly lower to compensate for less torque (as compared to the larger ISX or the Detroit 60). The 400ISL will work well as long as you have patience on the mountain grades.

If you want more, the next coach up in the Monaco lineup is the Executive. On the used market they are usually priced about the same as the Dynasty. It came standard with a Cummins 500hp ISM (1550 ft lbs), or the optional 525, 600, or even 650hp Cummins ISX.
Monaco also made some Executives, Signatures, and Holiday Rambler Navigators with the 515hp Detroit Series 60. These are awesome coaches and will tow almost anything.

Monaco Brochures:
https://www.monacocoach.com/luxury-rv-brochures

Monaco owner’s manuals:
https://www.monacocoach.com/rv-owners-manuals
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:07 PM   #12

The ISX15 Cummins Big Block is an awesome beast regardless of the HP rating. I expect mine to outlive me and the RV. With the 13 speed Eaton, the shift points are at about 1,700 rpm. Its barely above idle cruising down the interstate. I get around 7 mpgs with the cruise set between 70-75. I weigh in at over 40,000 lbs, plus towing. Only the longest steepest grades slow me down. I couldn't live with an under powered rig. If your priority is the destination, then HP probably doesn't matter much. I love the journey and love to drive, so for me, HP and torque are a priority. Regardless, just get out there, have fun and experience the open road.
KFed 90-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 04:40 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks

Thanks for all the good feedback. I would like to have found an Executive but was unable to find one within reasonable range, condition and price for my logistics and budget. I pulled the trigger on the Dynasty and it is being prepared for us. Delivery in about 2- weeks.

Iím not a fast driver in the MH hopefully Iíll be satisfied with the performance. Not to say I wonít be wishing for more at times🤠.

Very 73 to all,
Doug
Amarillo, TX
Old 09-30-2021, 09:43 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Fantastic! The Dynasty is nicer than 99% of the motor homes out there. You would have to spend $700k to equal it with a new one.
Either take someone with you that is familiar with large Monaco coaches, or have it inspected by an inspector familiar with large diesel coaches.
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power