Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2017, 08:12 PM   #1

Hot and cold water reversed when on city water

We just picked up our 2018 Hurricane 29 TB. The first couple of days we ran off of the water tank and everything worked fine.

Today we hooked up city water and for some strange reason, the water fixtures are now reversed. We get hot water out of the cold water faucets and vice versa.

We turned the pressure water off and turned the water pump back on and the flow is normal; hot water out of the hot water faucet and cold out of the cold water faucet.

To be clear, when the faucets were reversed while on city water it effected all faucets in the RV.

Anyone ever heard of this or experienced this?
KeysVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2017, 08:53 PM   #2

This doesn’t make sense. Would love to hear possible reasons-if any!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:03 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes, I've heard of it but never experienced it. As I remember it has to do with the anti backflow in the pressurized lines or the valves for winterizing.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:28 PM   #4

Very interesting.........don't see how

Cold water system is fed by pump discharge OR by city water inlet.
Both go to same cold water plumbing

Then cold water inlet goes to water heater which then feds HOT water into the hot water system.

Only direct connection is via the water heater bypass line which ties cold & hot together.

But water HAS to go thru water heater which only feds hot water plumbing lines

Bypass valve open or leaking thru would allow cold to mix with hot causing luke warm water but not reverse the flow pattern

Course anything that would affect water temps would do so whether using pump or city water connection

I just do not see how flows could be reversed and still retain HOT Temps and COLD Temps ??????????????
Water only flows one direction thru water heater
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:51 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let us know what you find.

I repaired electronic equipment all my life and more than once I've worked on problems that "Couldn't happen...impossible." But they happened.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:44 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have an outside shower make sure it's turned off. If both valves are on it can sometimes cause this issue.
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:18 AM   #7

Is it possible that the supply hose is laying in the sun thereby warming the cold water supply into the coach?
gary rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:20 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Like everyone has said this just is not possible. So I got my flow charts out and would think it might be possible if there are two check valves that are installed backward one at the pump and one at the water heater. In any event I would think a trip back to the Dealer would be in order and upon solution everyone is anticipating your findings.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
If you have an outside shower make sure it's turned off. If both valves are on it can sometimes cause this issue.

We do have an outside shower that we haven’t looked at yet. I’ll check it out before we get back on the road today.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:39 AM   #10

We live in Key Largo, FL and we bought the RV from Camping World in St Augustine, FL. We are on a business/pleasure trip to Pensacola, then New Orleans, then to Gatlinburg, TN. We won’t be back in the St Augustine area until the middle of January.

We already have a couple of warranty items that need to be addressed (replacing bezel on dashboard for the radio, replacing sliding bedroom doors), so we”ll add the reversed water issue if we haven’t figured it out by then. I’ll let everyone know the resolution, but in the mean time, if someone has a suggestion, please let us know.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysVal View Post
We do have an outside shower that we haven’t looked at yet. I’ll check it out before we get back on the road today.
I checked the outside shower and the valves were closed. BUT, with the water pump on the outside shower hot and cold valves are reversed. Everywhere else in the camper the water valves are correct when on the water pump. They are only reversed when on city water.

So I suspect that the issue lies with the plumbing for the outside shower. The city water connection goes into the RV right next to the outdoor shower, so I suspect that the outdoor shower housing will have to be removed to access the plumbing anyway.

So I don't have it figured out, but I do have a clue to where the issue is originating at least.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:36 AM   #12

Until you get it resolved, do like we do. Our pump puts out more pressure than some parks, so we fill the fresh tank and use the pump. Just have to refill if staying for a prolonged time. Even when just passing through for a night or two, I don't hook up to the parks water. The extra weight of a full water tank is insignificant to the total weight of the coach. Another reason is that if you get a leak during the night you will hear the pump cycle on and off. Also, you can turn the pump off when leaving the coach and never have a flood from an unexpected leak. We came back one afternoon to see water coming out the front door of a neighboring coach.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:47 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
They are only reversed when on city water.
Almost inconceivable. Both city inlet and pump feed the same water lines and at essentially the same point in the system. About the only possible difference is the amount of water pressure at each.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:08 AM   #14

Maybe a pressure difference between pump and city water. One has enough pressure to operate/defeat a check valve and the other does not. Just throwing stuff out.

Tags
water