Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2017, 12:44 PM   #43

Maybe make direct temp comparisons of brake components from different sides with your infrared tester when you stop for gas or lunch.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2017, 03:32 PM   #44

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobk3d View Post
They were never badly mismatched, but I recently did a full check on all my tires pressures, made sure the rear duals matched to within about 1 psi cold, checking with manual gauges. Recommended pressure is 80 psi, mine are set for 85, which should be okay. I measure in the morning before the sun comes up, temps in the high 60's, so I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right.

But yesterday on the road, I noticed that inner and outer had badly mismatched pressure while driving, and I actually had an over-temp alarm as I pulled into my campsite.

So I made it a point to check this morning, and the TPMS shows them still being matched to where I set them.

I know the temperatures from the EEZTire can be affected by sun on the sensors, but that wouldn't explain the pressure difference.

The only thing I can think of is that I spent the entire day on hilly and curvy 2-lane roads (US 209 & US 6, Kingston NY to Scranton). Perhaps the outside tires take more of the load on corners?

Has anybody else run into this? Any thoughts? I don't want to mess up my tires.
I always add 10-15psi over chart specs. Just too many variables that one encounters on a trip and not about to be airing up or letting air out along the way, unless it's been awhile and that would be for inflating, if anything.
Rather be on the high side, than low.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:00 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpresto View Post
monte433 has it exactly right. Look where your rotors are. They do not get as much airflow as the outers. If you are driving in stop and go traffic or any situation requiring use of the brakes the inners will heat more than the outers. It is especially noticeable when you come to a stop as there is no airflow to dissipate the heat from the rotors.

If both sides are braking equally I would think the heat gain would be similar from passenger side to drivers side. OP is reading higher temp on one side only.

Brakes have been checked and given thumbs up. OP says problem more apparent on hills.

Maybe there are more curves on hills? Maybe worn bearing heating up from side thrust on curves?

I would swap TPMS sensors on the "hot" duels to check TPMS sensor, then have the bearing checked on the hot side.

Tags
tires