Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2021, 02:44 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hot water heater short ?

I've bought a 2003 Winnebago Adventurer last year but decided to sit still during COVID - now we are bot vaxed retired and ready to go - spent the winter on some cosmetic and now "dry running the systems with the grandkids in the driveway... and glad we did.

Connected to shore via home 20A outdoor receptacle and garden hose. Electric heat brings me up to and a bit over 30 -31 A so we are using Propane heat with no issues. Water dewinterized and sanitized and all is fine (except a problem with the kitchen faucet - so I replaced it. Water pump and propane water heater all fine.

Wo REALLY no big problems.

EXCEPT - I discovered that as soon as I turn ON the electric hot water switch the GFCI - not the breaker - for my house outside receptacles circuit trips. I cant even figure out WHERE my electric hot water heater is located to check for a short in the wires. Or look for a wet damp environment.

Ideas ? Help ? I have been reading these forums for months and garnered some great advice and tips so I have faith that y'all will have some ideas for me
TheBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2021, 03:26 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, it might help to get to a 30a connection so you can eliminate simply overloading the feed receptacle at the house.

GFCI's can trip without much warning, so first try plugging into a non GFI receptacle. Your 110v waterheater element is in the tank - you'll see it inside the door. They're about 11 to 13amps, so should feed off your 20a standard receptacle without issue. It is entirely possible the heating element is fried/corroded, but they are cheap and easy to replace. They're about $20, and probably worth just replacing it.

Good luck and have fun out there!
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:10 PM   #3

I suspect your HW element is leaking current to ground. A circuit overload should never trip a CGFI switch. Only a non-balanced current load between hot and neutral would pop a serviceable CGFI breaker. Suggest you replace the HW element or at least do a high resistance check to ground to see if there is a leakage. May need a megger to do the high resistance check. Many CGFI breakers have a tolerance of 30ma or it could be as low a 4-5 ma. It depends on the CGFI specs.

BTW - Your HW heater element is likely screwed into your water tank,
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:26 PM   #4

Look on the outside for a door similar to this, the water heater will be behind it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	325011  
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, hot water, water, water heater