Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #1

Grand Design Owners Club
Hot Water Problems

The other day our hot water ceased to flow. I thought it might have been a plugged line. When I looked through the hatch to the back of the hot water tank. I find a valve in the water lines connecting to the back of the tank. This valve seems to bypass the tank when thrown one way. I pulled the drain plug out of the hot water tank and ran water through the tank to flush it out and I played with this valve while I did it. This seems to have cleared whatever my problem was and hot water worked well for the last couple days.

Today the hot water stopped again. So I drained the tank and ran water through this valve in both positions and the hot water works again.

What thoughts or experience do you have with this problem?
Is this valve to bypass the tank?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
paz

There is probable a check valve that keeps cold water from back-flowing into the hot water tank. It could be plugged, and playing with the bypass valve may temporarily clear it.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #3

Smile Hot water problems solved!!

I had a similar problem with the hot water supply on my 2006 Bounder diesel. It turned out that Atwood water heaters have a tempering valve on the outlet. Over time, it could become plugged with debris. The tempering valve according to Atwood Techs is to "mix" cold water with the hot water coming from the heater. This allows a 6 gallon reservoir to generate 10 gallons of hot water. The valve is not easy to access in my MH. So I replaced it with a Strahman tempering valve that allows me to adjust the temperature of the mixed water. I positioned it in a remote location so I could easily adjust the mix between hot and cold.

We just took a trip to Lancaster PA with some friends and I'm happy to report all four adults had an ample hot water supply for our showers!!. Problem solved.
AugieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:22 AM   #4

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugieP View Post
I had a similar problem with the hot water supply on my 2006 Bounder diesel. It turned out that Atwood water heaters have a tempering valve on the outlet. Over time, it could become plugged with debris. The tempering valve according to Atwood Techs is to "mix" cold water with the hot water coming from the heater. This allows a 6 gallon reservoir to generate 10 gallons of hot water. The valve is not easy to access in my MH. So I replaced it with a Strahman tempering valve that allows me to adjust the temperature of the mixed water. I positioned it in a remote location so I could easily adjust the mix between hot and cold.

We just took a trip to Lancaster PA with some friends and I'm happy to report all four adults had an ample hot water supply for our showers!!. Problem solved.
Thanks Paz and AugieP. I'm going to look at this valve closer. And it's not easy to get at in my motorhome either.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:42 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with paz. I had a check valve that the spring broke and would cause the ball to block the flow of water occasionally.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

It's not the bypass valve itself - it is the associated check valve(s) where the lines go in/out of the heater tank. They are clogged with mineral salts from the hot water. They need to be replaced.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:53 AM   #7

Grand Design Owners Club
To do this I'm assuming one has to pull the hot water heater out to work on these. Correct?
Old 10-19-2011, 05:39 AM   #8
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsrule View Post
To do this I'm assuming one has to pull the hot water heater out to work on these. Correct?
It depends on where the tank is located. Ours is under the bathroom sink, and all I have to do is open the cabinet door to see all the plumbing. My check valve is sitting in plain view. Hopefully, you have access to the back of the tank somewhere from the inside.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:01 AM   #9

My heater is in a part of the coach that is not easily accessible. That's why I elected to position the mixing valve in a location I could easily reach. It required taking the heater out to get to the original valve, but that only has to be done once. The other nice part of the valve I installed is that it has much larger ports internally and was designed for industrial use. Much less chance of clogging. It can also be taken apart if needed and cleaned out. The real bonus is the new Strahman Valve can be easily adjusted to increase the water temperature.Overall, a much better design and a good long term solution.
AugieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #10

Hot Water Problems

Had similar issue with an Atwood 10 gallon tank. There are 2 check valves. Use check valves from an RV supply store. 1 on input water line, 1 on the output line. Replace them both (one at a time, and do not install in reverse...or no water will flow). Turn off water, propane & circuit breaker to water heater. Drain water heater. Crawl under the water heater and will remove the access panel - held in place by 6 Phillips heads screws. Takes a little time but resolves the problem.
pavepaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:55 AM   #11

Grand Design Owners Club
The problem was the check valve. I only have one on this hot water tank and the tank had to be removed to work on it. Hot water is flowing and my DW is happy
Old 10-21-2011, 07:48 AM   #12
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsrule View Post
The problem was the check valve. I only have one on this hot water tank and the tank had to be removed to work on it. Hot water is flowing and my DW is happy

Tags
water