Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #15

Shows how little I know. I was not aware that the WH had an electrical option. I thought it only ran on propane. I will re-read my manual. Thanks everyone.
John Stott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2012, 10:49 PM   #16

Many rigs come with an electric element, and many it can come as an option, then there are those that only have gas.

Many of us in the latter group have added an after market electric element that screws into the drain hole. Works great, and always have hot water after plugging into shore power for a while. Like others, I only use gas for showers and turn it off afterwards.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I don't mean to highjack this thread, but it has reminded me of something I need to fix. If I leave my wh on when we are not using hot water I will start loosing water out of the relief valve. I don't like hot water draining down the outside of the mh so I've got in the habit of shutting the wh down after we're done showering or cooking or whatever.

I'm thinking it is either the thermocouple not regulating the temp and the water is getting to hot or the relief valve is getting old and no longer able to hold normal pressure.

Is there a quick troubleshoot to narrow down the problem?
Old 07-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #18

My relief valve leaked the second trip out. Dealer replaced it free. Try snapping the release lever closed.

I've been thinking of adding a Hott Rod to my propane only water heater. I could heat my water when I'm doing my morning or evening battery recharge then turning on the propane on the way to the shower.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:27 AM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Since I burned up my electric element the first time I turned on the water heater while connected to 30 amp service, I leave mine off until I need it. Propane heats 6 gallons quickly enough. I eventually found the water heater bypass valves.

RVing is truly an adventure!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardbark View Post
I don't mean to highjack this thread, but it has reminded me of something I need to fix. If I leave my wh on when we are not using hot water I will start loosing water out of the relief valve. I don't like hot water draining down the outside of the mh so I've got in the habit of shutting the wh down after we're done showering or cooking or whatever.

I'm thinking it is either the thermocouple not regulating the temp and the water is getting to hot or the relief valve is getting old and no longer able to hold normal pressure.

Is there a quick troubleshoot to narrow down the problem?
Many don't realize that there is suppose to be an air pocket at the top of the tank. Since air is compressible, this serves the purpose of allowing the water to expand a little and it works to prevent hammering when you shut off a valve. When the tank is full of water, with no air pocket, and heats up, it can and will leak out of the pressure valve. Other causes are the valve itself is old enough that the ring is not sealing anymore or there is something preventing the seal from making it water tight. Trick is to let the tank cool, open that valve and let the water drain out from the top of the tank. Close the valve and turn on the heaters.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Many rigs come with an electric element, and many it can come as an option, then there are those that only have gas.

Many of us in the latter group have added an after market electric element that screws into the drain hole. Works great, and always have hot water after plugging into shore power for a while. Like others, I only use gas for showers and turn it off afterwards.
The problem with the Hott Rod type of heaters is that installing them voids the warranty on both Suburban and Atwood. Plus they are slower the gas or a built in element.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:02 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Many don't realize that there is suppose to be an air pocket at the top of the tank. Since air is compressible, this serves the purpose of allowing the water to expand a little and it works to prevent hammering when you shut off a valve. When the tank is full of water, with no air pocket, and heats up, it can and will leak out of the pressure valve. Other causes are the valve itself is old enough that the ring is not sealing anymore or there is something preventing the seal from making it water tight. Trick is to let the tank cool, open that valve and let the water drain out from the top of the tank. Close the valve and turn on the heaters.
You are 100% correct. Last time I had the rig out I pulled out the original manual that came with the wh and it outlined these very steps to recreate the air pocket. Didn't work. After purging and refilling it still insisted on puking hot water out of the prv.

I'm leaning towards a worn out relief valve, its not that uncommon from what other rv'ers have told me.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:11 AM   #23

Did you try snapping it shut?

Old 07-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The problem with the Hott Rod type of heaters is that installing them voids the warranty on both Suburban and Atwood. Plus they are slower the gas or a built in element.
I've never heard of that. But they have, what, a 1 year warranty? I could wait if that's the case.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
When plugged in we leave it on electric when on propane turn it off
Old 07-31-2012, 03:06 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Plugged in, leave it on. Running propane, turn it off when done. It will stay hot for a long time.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Did you try snapping it shut?
Yep, a bunch of times. Even applied direct pressure to help it seat.

But on the off chance the temp regulator system is the problem (thus building too much pressure), trying to force a relief valve to stay seated when in fact it is doing exactly what it is designed to do doesn't tell me much.

PRVs are cheap enough, easily changed and a pretty common failure point. I'll change that out first, and if it continues to vent hot water, well... I'll call it a sucessfull ops test on the new valve and start troubleshooting again.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #28

I think it will fix your problem. When mine leaked, I snapped it to no avail. Replaced it and never another problem. It was a warranty item as it happened on my 2nd trip with my new 5er.

Tags
water