Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #29

I must be in the minority as we turn our water heater on and off twice a day no matter who is paying the electric. Once as soon as we get up and then just prior to dinner. Water stays hot all day long. 30 year old habit.
ibmcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #30

Old habits carry over. When dry camping in Alaska we found it used much less water to turn on the water heater long enough for the water to a comfortable shower temp and turn it off. When you take a shower just use the hot water valve, no adjusting of temp needed. Still do it. Washing dishes is different.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #31
JSW

In four years we have lit the gas heater only two times because our electric water heater works so well we never run out of hot water.
JSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #32

We turn ours off when not using. I added a second switch in bedroom to turn heater on from the bed so I have hot water when we get up
cocos camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:52 AM   #33

Other than using the propane, does it stress the heater to leave it on all the time?
Old 09-19-2012, 03:48 AM   #34

We are full-time so our vehicles are our house.

In a normal house the hot water is there 24/7 and I just can't see any point in doing things differently just because our house has wheels.
The other consideration is that our real house is rented out so the tenants pay all the utilities. This means that because with solar, our electricity costs are zero, our water costs are zero, our sewage and rubbish disposal costs are near zero (no need to pay for dumps with all the free dump points around), so even allowing for the small amount of extra propane we use for the convenience of having hot water on-tap, our total utilities costs are way, way less than they would be if we were living in our house.

And the different views nearly every day - priceless.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:07 AM   #35

When I had my 5er with dual handles, the hot water only, was hot enough to give you 2nd degree burns. If I turned it off after my evening shower, it was tolerable the next morning.
My MH has a single handle, so it should be easier to regulate. I'll still probably turn it off after my shower. I also had electric hot water with my 5er and when I refreshed my batteries in the evening and morning, I also heated my water. MH is gas only. :(

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water