Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2021, 05:22 AM   #1

House batteries

Haven't replaced batteries in 5 years. About to replace all 4 house batteries and would like some updated input on batteries. Current batteries are Pro-Master GC-25's. 75 amp with 132 cranking minutes. My rig is a 2002 40' Holiday Rambler Septer.
Any advice/guidance would be appreciated.

Thx, Road Rooster.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2021, 05:43 AM   #2

The Deca GC25, ProMaster, 6 volt batteries have 235 AH of capacity and are good deep cycle batteries.

If staying with flooded batteries, use them or an equivalent spec battery.

If your looking at a less expensive replacement, Sam's Club, Costco and Batteries + sell GC2 6 volt deep cycle batteries for 75 to 85% less.
You loose some capacity but if not dry camping much, they will do the job.

Others all chime in about AGM and Lithium batteries. AGMs doubles your costs and Lithium increases costs again, plus requires changes to your charging systems.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:34 AM   #3

Lead acid batteries do not age like cheese or tires. They "age" based on how much they have been charged. Many get between 200 and 400 full charge cycles. 50% discharge will get twice as many cycles.

If your batteries provide all the 12 volt power you need, they don't need to be replaced. I used my last pair for over ten years and they were working fine when I sold the trailer.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Lead acid batteries do not age like cheese or tires. They "age" based on how much they have been charged. Many get between 200 and 400 full charge cycles. 50% discharge will get twice as many cycles.

If your batteries provide all the 12 volt power you need, they don't need to be replaced. I used my last pair for over ten years and they were working fine when I sold the trailer.

Not sure thats right, I have seen websites that state that a lead acid battery has a "lifespan" of 6-7 years whether or not its used due to self degradation...

Otherwise most batteries would last "forever" as 400 cycles on an RV may be 20 years...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:55 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I just bought four of the Duracell GC2 batteries from Sam's Club. I caught them on sale for $89.95 each. They had the best reviews of any brand that I checked, including Interstate!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Not sure thats right, I have seen websites that state that a lead acid battery has a "lifespan" of 6-7 years whether or not its used due to self degradation...

Otherwise most batteries would last "forever" as 400 cycles on an RV may be 20 years...
I'm with persistent...
Battys are capable of providing a relatively fixed # AH.
Cycles and years are meaningless measures... yes you can get more (small AH) cycles with with smaller DOD or fewer (large AH) cycles with a larger DOD.
All above assumes proper maint and treatment during storage & use and you don't kill them prematurely.

I'm still using a 12V AGM that was pulled from a commercial UPS over 15 yrs ago as (PM, end of useful life) I have used it little, kept it on a maintainer until installing in our boat about 7 yrs ago. It does sit off season w/o charging. Still measures 12.6 V +/- in the spring before I reconnect it for my gennie start.
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:33 AM   #7

Most batteries don't die , they are murdered by abuse.

Things like " Every month I need to use the boost switch to start the engine ", murdered.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:39 PM   #8

Six years ago, I purchased six 300 amp Lifeline batteries. They are still performing great. I have never let them get below a 50% charge and expect them to go for another 5-6 years with current use. A nice benefit is that I only need to slide them out once a year to check connections (they are always tight and free of corrosion) and blow the dust off.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:38 AM   #9

Rules of thumb

There are many useful rules of thumb. They help us get through a complicated world.

Car batteries last about 5 years. That does not mean they die due to number of years aging. They typically get used to start a car the life time number of uses in 5 years. So, a good rule of thumb is to replace your car batter at 5 years so you can reliably start your car when you need it.

Your house batteries will slowly decrease their capacity as the number of recharges approaches 200. By 400, a significant loss will be evident.

References:

Battle Born Lithium https://www.solar-electric.com/lib/w...orn_Manual.pdf
https://battlebornbatteries.com/char...ibility-table/
https://battlebornbatteries.com/systems/rv/towable/

Choosing An RV Battery https://www.irv2.com/forums/download...do=file&id=231
This is a good article, but its recommendations against “Marine Batteries” does not apply to “Marine AGM batteries”.

Battery University https://batteryuniversity.com/articles

How does the Lead Acid Battery Work?
https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...d-battery-work

How do battery chargers work
https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...-chargers-work

How to Charge and When to Charge?
https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...when-to-charge

The following is what makes lead acid batteries last a long time:

Storing lead acid batteries:
Always store lead acid batteries fully charged. Fully charged means 14 to 18 hours on a high quality voltage regulated charger. Maintain batteries while in storage. Recharge before voltage drops below 12.4 volts for long service life.

Store connected to high quality voltage regulated charger/maintainer. Monitor water levels until you are comfortable with how long levels stay up. Optimum charger/maintainer voltage is 13.2 volts. Flooded cell can sometimes benefit from short voltage spikes up to 14.4 volts. For most AGM’s, voltage should not go over 13.6 volts.

Store disconnected. Fully charge battery 14 to 18 hours before putting it into storage. Disconnect a battery lead or turn battery disconnect switch “off”.

Shut off switches installed by manufacturers usually near entry door, rarely turn everything off. Monitor battery terminal voltage until you are confident it is truly “off”.

Note: Some inverter/charger/converter systems require disconnecting the positive terminal first. See inverter operators manual.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:46 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My first set of Sam's Club Duracell CG2's lasted five years. Probably could have gone another 18 months but I had just replaced the absorption fridge with a residential and wanted four rather than two. Adding two new batteries to two old isn't the most efficient configuration.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I'm with persistent...
Battys are capable of providing a relatively fixed # AH.
Cycles and years are meaningless measures... yes you can get more (small AH) cycles with with smaller DOD or fewer (large AH) cycles with a larger DOD.
All above assumes proper maint and treatment during storage & use and you don't kill them prematurely.

I'm still using a 12V AGM that was pulled from a commercial UPS over 15 yrs ago as (PM, end of useful life) I have used it little, kept it on a maintainer until installing in our boat about 7 yrs ago. It does sit off season w/o charging. Still measures 12.6 V +/- in the spring before I reconnect it for my gennie start.

Thats got to be a good battery. I'm using a similar AGM battery (new in 2008) for my house and starting batteries. I also use them on my dozer and loader. The batteries are still going strong . I never keep the batteries on a charger and they are fully charged then disconnected when not in use.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:13 AM   #12

Thanks for all the positive responses and information. I store my rig in a large garage when not in use. I always hook up the 50 amp shore power and the inverter supposedly maintains the charges in the batteries. Is this a good practice? Also, is an after market battery slide-out shelf available that would fit my rig and make the battery access/maintenance easier?

Thanks again, Road Rooster
Old 08-05-2021, 08:41 AM   #13

Many RVers don't run down to near 50% driving from powered camp sight to next ,so have reported going near 10yrs. Maybe last few they were low on AHs but they wouldn't really know.
If you do boondock....You can get a reasonable priced battery monitor. There are some really good inexpensive solar equipment out there, that have been tested and reviewed by large groups of people.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:04 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Current batteries are Pro-Master GC-25's. 75 amp with 132 cranking minutes.
Just for the record, you are misinterpreting the specs. That battery has a Reserve Capacity rated as 132 minutes at a 75A draw @ 6v. That's higher capacity than a typical GC2 6v golf car battery and equivalent to a Trojan T125 or similar.

If you want the same capacity and stick with a flooded cell battery, a T125 or another Promaster GC25 would be a top choice. If you rarely camp off-grid, I'd go with a cheaper, lower capacity GC2 from Costco, Sams Club or Walmart. Or an Interstate battery dealer. They are only slightly less capacity (about 12%) and should be priced more than 12% lower. Shop around.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries