Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #1

House batteries making buzzing noise

2007 Fleetwood 39V DP. My newly installed house batteries are making a buzzing or humming noise. Before replacing the existing batteries I tagged each battery and each connection to ensure that all connections were returned to the original location. I also took pictures of the battery connections. So I am sure that they are connected correctly. The old batteries were interstate 6v golf cart batteries. The new batteries are the same. The new batteries are not hot to the touch. The charger display indicates a float charge of 13.5v. Any suggestions ? I do not remember that the old batteries made a noise.
Furniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2014, 01:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Are you connected to shore power or have the Ginnie running? Does it really sound like the noise is coming from the batteries or could it be your inverter/charger?

And, does everything inside the coach work as expected?
Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #3

Batteries making buzzing noise

RickO
I am connected to shore power. Noise is from batteries. I can feel the buzzing when I touch the batteries. Everything works correctly. All conditions are the same as before the battery change. The inverter/charger is located in a different compartment from the batteries.

Walter
Old 06-20-2014, 03:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I would disconnect them before they explode!

Have a RV Service Technician check everything out before using those batteries again.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:37 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furniss View Post
RickO
I am connected to shore power. Noise is from batteries. I can feel the buzzing when I touch the batteries. Everything works correctly. All conditions are the same as before the battery change. The inverter/charger is located in a different compartment from the batteries.

Walter
Walter, I have never heard of this symptom before and I have dealt with many batteries and charging systems. If your can remove the batteries and place them outside the coach and reconnect them one at a time, testing each one as you go along, this may help discover what is going on. (I am considering that you are using 12V batteries. If 6V, install them as sets, in searies.)

I am suspecting that this may be a mechanical vibration from the inverter or a relay being telegraphed into the batteries. If you have a volt meter that reads Hz, see if you can detect frequency into the batteries. If so this is not good at all. Something in your charger is bad.

I didn't notice if you stated what inverter you have. I would like to know this just for useful info. As stated Dr4Film, don't leave the battery bank in this condition. You will damage your batteries if they are getting AC.

Rick Y
Old 06-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #6

Are all the batteries buzzing?? Do you have AC volt meter ?? You may want to check for stay/strong AC voltage reading across the battery terminals.
Might also check to see if the batteries buzz when running on generator power.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:13 PM   #7

House batteries making buzzing noise.

Thank you for everyone's input. The problem has solved itself. After being installed and on the charger for twelve hours there is no longer any buzzing. The charger display indicates a float charge @ 13.5 volts. The batteries are cool to the touch . After fifty years of experience with RV, boat, auto and motor cycle batteries this was a first for me.

Walter
Old 06-21-2014, 05:43 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furniss View Post
Thank you for everyone's input. The problem has solved itself. After being installed and on the charger for twelve hours there is no longer any buzzing. The charger display indicates a float charge @ 13.5 volts. The batteries are cool to the touch . After fifty years of experience with RV, boat, auto and motor cycle batteries this was a first for me.

Walter
Great news, Walter. I am still thinking that your charger was the source of the vibration. The transformer was humming under the heavy load current produced by the demand on the new batteries.

There have been several threads on putting mineral oil in batteries. If you want to know more do a search on the forum or if you need even more personal results start a new thread.

Rick Y
Old 06-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
I get a humming at my battery tray when on shore power. 12 years, multiple sets of batteries, and 25 feet from the Freedom inverter. Never gave the sound much thought.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:44 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
There is a subtle buzz from my 6v battery bank when in bulk mode. Never thought anything of it. Never had any problems. Don't think there would be a problem for you unless the noise gets louder, or something stops working. Or you see smoke! LOL! No worries, I don't think. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #11

You should not be able to feel a hum on the batteries simply due to their mass unless the tray is not very solid.

You did well and confirmed voltage good.

I suspect following things...

1. New batteries not fully charged
What was voltage when installed before power applied.

2. Amp capacity of charging source is large resulting in large transformer.

3. Charging source is constant voltage.

Results are the constant voltage converter will output high amps to maintain the 13.5 vdc and if type with large transformer the source may viberate until current drops.

May be normal or something may be loose.

Run yhe unit on battery to drop the voltage a bit and test again to sre where the viberation is then make sure all is well.

Tags
batteries, house batteries