Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2020, 02:28 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
House Batteries Spark

I have a 2013 HR Vacationer and have had this issue since we purchased it in 2016. I disconnect my house batteries, 2 @12volts, when I put it in the storage lot by removing the 2 negative terminals from the batteries. I do this to maintain their charge while in storage.

My question, is it normal to have "small" sparks when I reconnect the negative terminals?

According to the Owners Manual, small sparks are due to the inverter circuit.

One of the negative cables is connected to the frame.

Does anyone else have this situation??
denk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2020, 02:41 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
If anything is connected to the 12 volt system of your house batteries, which there usually are they will give a spark once connected. Even when the salesman switch is turned off.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:45 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The Inverter will cause a spark when the house battery cable is connected - from the capacitors in the Inverter. The Inverter is connected directly to the batteries with its own cable. I assume that is the cable connection you are referring to.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:43 PM   #4

After you install the battery cable, remove it and reinstall it again. If you get a spark the second time, you have a load some where. If you get no spark the second time, it's just some capacitors charging up.

Richard
Old 11-26-2020, 07:00 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You are pulling a battery cable because the disconnect switch doesn't disconnect everything - notably the inverter/charger. If you do this often consider to install a battery disconnect switch right at the battery bank.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by denk View Post
I have a 2013 HR Vacationer and have had this issue since we purchased it in 2016. I disconnect my house batteries, 2 @12volts, when I put it in the storage lot by removing the 2 negative terminals from the batteries. I do this to maintain their charge while in storage.

My question, is it normal to have "small" sparks when I reconnect the negative terminals?

According to the Owners Manual, small sparks are due to the inverter circuit.

One of the negative cables is connected to the frame.

Does anyone else have this situation??
Every one has this. Perfectly normal. There are always some things that don’t have an off switch. Best to disconnect or put in a trickle charger
tomgrigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
You are pulling a battery cable because the disconnect switch doesn't disconnect everything - notably the inverter/charger. If you do this often consider to install a battery disconnect switch right at the battery bank.
We have some parasitic loads that draw down our batteries over time so in storage we disconnect as well. And we get the spark
Looking to install this 500 amp Disconnect:
https://www.flamingriver.com/fr1046-...ck-out-bracket

Stay Safe,
greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #8

Yiiiiip,
I get it too, each and every time I yank all four 6V batts for cleaning and maintenance. And yep, the house battery switch is in the OFF position. I figured it was the inverter/charger. I would think that, if there's that kind of spark, (almost no matter what size the spark is), that something would eventually get damaged inside that inverter by causing that 12V surge each time the batt posts are connected. But, so far, everything still works so, no damage yet.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:28 PM   #9

The propane detector is on at all times unless the batteries are disconnected. This is so if the disconnect switch is off it will still work.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:19 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
I know this post is almost a month old but a question - when disconnecting / connecting battery cables on a diesel - is there a specific procedure as to which cable ( + or - ) gets disconnected / connected first?
JohnArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:35 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
If you have a magnum inverter you disconnect its positive 1st according to magnum.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:46 AM   #12

The negetive terminal is the safest one to remove first. That prevents the tool from creating a dangerous spark and short to ground.
If the tool was touching the positive terminal and touched ground, with ground still connected, that will cause problems.

Magnum does recommend removing the positive cable first.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 11:40 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfg9585 View Post
If you have a magnum inverter you disconnect its positive 1st according to magnum.
^^This.

To prevent the issue Twinboat describes, use an insulated tool. I have a specific tool just for this purpose. Quarter inch drive ratchet with the socket and ratchet completely covered with insulating material.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 04:23 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Good to know - thanks.
JohnArch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries