Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2016, 08:08 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
House batteries wired wrong

This is an update my last post.

Summarizing the events: Agreed to but a 2002 Beaver 42 from seller Al Thompson in GA. Paid a $1,000 deposit, arranged financing, excited and ready to close. Thompson calls a few day before delivery saying, "I put in 6-12v house batteries thinking they were 6 volts, wired them up in series and things stopped working. Motors didn't work, inverter blew. It's in for service, don't know for how long."

Posted this here under "12v batteries wired wrong". Many replied. Most said drop the deal. I dropped the deal. Looks like I'll have to eat my deposit.

I first found this coach on line. It's still being offered for sale, without disclosure of the potential damage to electric components from 72 volts. Don't want to see some hapless buyer purchase this rolling disaster-waiting-to-happen, so I wrote several sites where Thompson has his coach advertised. I recited the history and received the following replies…

[Received from RV Trader]

Kevin, Mar 23, 16:19

Hello Tom,

I would like to start by saying that I am sorry to hear about your negative selling experience and I do hope that you are able to get back in contact with the potential seller and arrange a refund. RVT believes the validity and quality of the ads listed on our site is paramount to our reputation and success, and we strive to ensure that all of our users have the best buying/selling experiences possible. However, we provide the advertising services in a buyer/seller beware environment as laid out in our usage agreement and we do not involve ourselves in the sales process between these two parties. While a sellers tactics may differ from our own we are unable to scrutinize unless there is proof of fraudulent activity, of which currently the evidence is circumstantial. I can assure you that we will monitor this scenario moving forward in an attempt to mitigate further damages. If you believe the seller in fact has no intentions on providing a refund or if you continue to be unable to contact this seller, I would urge you to contact your local authorities to report this issue/loss. In the future when buying on-line we recommend avoiding deposits for goods not yet rendered when possible and have a listing of further protection strategies available at:

http://www.rvt.com/fraud.php.

Lastly I would like to sincerely thank you for bringing this to our attention and say that I hope you are able to reclaim your funds.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Kind Regards,
--
KevinRVT & OldCarOnline Support
http://www.rvt.com
http://www.oldcaronline.com
EmailRVT: kevin@rvt.com
EmailOC: kevin@oldcaronline.com

Toll Free: 1-800-677-4484
Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30AM - 5:00PM PST
--
les@rvt.com, Mar 23, 15:36

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/12v-...ng-281932.html

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: RVT.com - Contact Us
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 22:00:39 +0000
Reply-To:
To: tradersupport@rvt.com

Name: Tom
Email Address:
Phone:
Ad Number: 6623242
Sales Order Number:

Questions/Comments: After first seeing the above referenced coach on
your site, I agreed to purchase this coach and paid Mr. Thompson $1,000
deposit on a written contract. I arranged financing for the purchase. A
week before delivery of the coach Mr Thompson called saying that he
could not deliver the coach when promised because he had installed
himself, by mistake, 6-12v batteries connected in series. This put 72
volts into the coach which was designed for 12 volts, and there a number
of system failures. Accordingly, I immediately cancelled the sale
knowing that many of the switches and relays in the coach were probably
affected. I posted this on the iRV2 website under the heading of
"Batteries hooked up wrong". To date, Mr Thompson has not refunded my
deposit (3 weeks and counting). What concerned me as well is that his
damaged coach is still offered for sale on your site and could be sold
to some unsuspecting soul. I urge you to pull this listing of Mr
Thompson's until there is full disclosure and ask him to refund my
deposit. Since you have first-hand knowledge of this, I believe that it
is you duty to police your advertisers or else your reputation will
suffer.

[Second reply — Received from RV Online]

Hi Tom,

I emailed Al Thompson and he said "Well Mike maybe u don't know the whole story". Anyway, I gave it a try. We don't get involved in the transactions between buyer and seller. The only time we pull a listing is if there is fraud involved. You can review buyer and seller guidelines and RV Online responsibility on our User Agreement page at https://www.rvonline.com/useragreement.html . Our service is similar to placing an ad in a local newspaper.

If you feel he has defaulted on your contract, then I would pursue it with him in a legal manner.

In over 20 years of business, there has only been a couple of reported disputes between buyer and seller. I'm sure the vast majority of our 1000's of sold transactions have been consummated in a very satisfactory outcome.

Mike
RV Online
6250 North Pointe Ct.
Aptos, CA 95003
info@rvonline.com
http://www.rvonline.com

On 3/23/2016 2:41 PM, Tom wrote:
After first seeing the above referenced coach on your site, I agreed to purchase this coach and paid Mr. Thompson $1,000 deposit on a written contract. I arranged financing for the purchase. A week before delivery of the coach Mr Thompson called saying that he could not deliver the coach when promised because he had installed himself, by mistake, 6-12v batteries connected in series. This put 72 volts into the coach which was designed for 12 volts, and there a number of system failures.

Accordingly, I immediately cancelled the sale knowing that many of the switches and relays in the coach were probably affected. I posted this on the iRV2 website under the heading of "Batteries hooked up wrong".

To date, Mr Thompson has not refunded my deposit (3 weeks and counting). What concerned me as well is that his damaged coach is still offered for sale on your site and could be sold to some unsuspecting soul.

I urge you to pull this listing of Mr Thompson's until there is full disclosure and ask him to refund my deposit. Since you have first-hand knowledge of this, I believe that it is you duty to police your advertisers or else your reputation will suffer.

So there you have it, friends. Seems like these sellers of cyber-space would rather collect a few bucks from an ad that they know may be for damaged goods, placed by a liar and cheat, than cancel the ad which would make it difficult or this lousy seller to dump his bus on some unsuspecting souls.

Since many of us buy and sell our coaches online, we rely in part on the integrity of the websites. If there wasn't some degree of honesty and integrity involved, buying and selling would be a crap shoot. I am surprised that the websites won't police their advertisers in light of legitimate complaints like mine. If, "Well Mike maybe u don't know the whole story," doesn't confirm the events, what would? I know the whole story, and so do you.

If you think that these websites should continue to market damaged goods that they know about, please bitch. This is the only way we can keep this channel for buying and selling at least semi-clean.

Fair winds and smooth roads...
8Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2016, 08:21 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
He Owes You The Money

I'm not an attorney, but I sleep with one nightly.

The seller told you he damaged the rig. He stated so in writing.

If he accidentally wrecked it pending delivery, or set it afire, would he be entitled to keep your deposit? This, I believe, is no different.

(Of course, if he's so determined that you're being unreasonable and have breached the contract, he'll certainly agree to placing a portion of your purchase price into an escrow account and signing a contract agreeing that, for a certain period of time, he'll cover any electrical damages that might be linked to the over-voltage. If his confidence is merited, and you have overreacted, he can claim his funds at the end of the term, and everyone is happy.)
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:51 PM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
If you can get your deposit back, grab it and run. No telling what has been damaged that has not shown up yet
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:50 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
File suit in the small claims court that has jurisdiction over the matter. It shouldn't be too hard to get your money back.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:02 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
So, OP, what's the problem (besides your lost deposit)? RV Online has their terms posted on their site, it says they don't verify any of the info posted and it's between the buy and seller, they just list the RV.
Quote:
GENERAL INFORMATION

RV Online.com is a vehicle listing site that is informational only in content. RV Online.com does not participate in the sale of these vehicles and all contact is directly between buyer and seller. RV Online.com posts the sales information that was supplied, and does not verify or guaranty any of the vehicles or information supplied. Common sense and caution should prevail as if you were buying or selling via a newspaper ad.

It is the responsibility of the seller to supply accurate and valid information about the vehicle for sale and notify RV Online.com when the vehicle has sold. Buyers and Sellers should verify all information and price before entering into any contract of sale. RV Online.com has the right (but assumes no obligation) to remove or edit any ad that is deemed deceptive or inaccurate.
I added the bold

Now, as to getting your money back, the seller damaged the vehicle, they would have no right to keep the deposit. File in small claims but beware that even if you win there is no way to make the loser pay. Been there, done that three times and have yet to get a ˘ from any of them!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries