Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2020, 02:15 PM   #1

House battery overcharged?

Prior owner put in 3 new agm batteries 1 year ago. All looked vented and sucked in...

Chassis alternator puts out 14.3 volts... all the time...

Generator charging the batteries starts at 14.3 and goes to 13.3 presumably when done...

Buy chassis never lowers the voltage. Prior owner had lots of issues with the alternator not charging the house batteries. He had several relays replaced multiple times...

Is there a systematic way to check for issues? Or is that normal?

Chassis amp meter shows chassis batteries 100% charged, but 3 amps still flowing into them constantly...

Any help appreciated...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2020, 02:36 PM   #2

What voltage are the chassis batteries sitting at when the 3 amps are going into them ?

A few amps is normal but the volts should be less the 14. You may be missing a battery sense wire from the chassis battery to the alternator.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 03:05 PM   #3

Chassis battery at 14.3 or so, based on voltage from cigarette lighter outlet...
Old 09-20-2020, 03:13 PM   #4

Alternator not charging house and charger not charging chassis seems to be most common discussed shared issue across every manufacture . A lot have replaced diode isolators , big boy solenoid and or BIRD charge relay with Bluesea ACR. Just search Bluesea many posts diagrams and pics. Lifetime warranty no one has mentioned failure. Pasted first one that popped up if seen for about $200
https://www.waytekwire.com/item/7800...hoCgikQAvD_BwE
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Alternator not charging house and charger not charging chassis seems to be most common discussed shared issue across every manufacture . A lot have replaced diode isolators , big boy solenoid and or BIRD charge relay with Bluesea ACR. Just search Bluesea many posts diagrams and pics. Lifetime warranty no one has mentioned failure. Pasted first one that popped up if seen for about $200
https://www.waytekwire.com/item/7800...hoCgikQAvD_BwE
What's that got to do with the subject ?
Old 09-20-2020, 04:52 PM   #6

The alternator is overcharging. Take a look at the alternator and see if one of the smaller wires is lose or broken off.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:57 PM   #7

Will do, has to wait til next weekend though...

Reading the tech notes from the non charging situation he mentions doing a jumper wire to check and that it worked fine... I do wonder if they screwed something up, making it charge... but not down regulating...

You’re taking about the voltage feedback wire to the alternator? Will check...

Sigh, when you buy something new there’s a million things to fix...
Old 09-21-2020, 06:45 AM   #8

QUOTE=twinboat;5448528]What's that got to do with the subject ?[/QUOTE]
OP writes at end....
"Prior owner had lots of issues with the alternator not charging the house batteries. He had several relays replaced multiple times..."

Twinboat...
Pretty sure you already hit on the head as usual with alternator sense wire . Sounded like he was asking about two separate issues . I should have more clear I trying to answer the second and don't believe two are related unless sense wire somehow is tied to house batteries.[
Also I can't find or see your coach in signature or in about you stats. To see type of alternator you may have.if it has sense wire. If there is/was a diode battery isolator/combiner wires laid out like mine . Someone could have mistakenly put sense wire to house set of batts.Or if he did a lot of swapping wires around combiner solenoid .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
QUOTE=twinboat;5448528]What's that got to do with the subject ?
OP writes at end....
"Prior owner had lots of issues with the alternator not charging the house batteries. He had several relays replaced multiple times..."

Twinboat...
Pretty sure you already hit on the head as usual with alternator sense wire . Sounded like he was asking about two separate issues . I should have more clear I trying to answer the second and don't believe two are related unless sense wire somehow is tied to house batteries.[
Also I can't find or see your coach in signature or in about you stats. To see type of alternator you may have.if it has sense wire. If there is/was a diode battery isolator/combiner wires laid out like mine . Someone could have mistakenly put sense to house set of batts.Or if he did a lot of swapping wires around combiner solenoid .[/QUOTE]

Thanks all, every bit helps...

2000 winnebago ultimate advantage on freightliner chassis...

Also, does the alternator charge the chassis and house battery at the same time (ie. In parallel)? I ask as the voltage on both is identical, I would think it would be different between the two...
Old 09-21-2020, 05:00 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
You have a solenoid that connects the house and chassis batteries together when the engine is running/ when the generator is running/ when you are on shore power and the primary battery(ies) get to a certain voltage, predetermined by the BCC/BIRD

Tags
battery