Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2012, 12:11 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
House Battery replacements - 6V? 12V? AGM? FLooded? Where to buy?

I have at least 2 of my 4 6V house batteries leaking. Need to replace them.

I know there's a ton of info in these pages about the choices for replacements, BUT can anyone give me the Reader's Digest version?

Why do I never see MH owners using Optima Blue TOp 12V AGM batteries?

Lastly, besides Costco or Sam's, is there a cheapest place that carries the batteries? (I don't belong to Cost/Sams).

Thanks for any quick advice.
baloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since you are asking, I will guess that you are happy with batteries that work, but don't really care if they are "Super-Dooper-Brand RBP."

So, try Walmart. Most Walmart's with an automotive section has 6VDC RV batteries similar to Sam's and CostCo at a good price.

These will NOT be the bigger batteries seen in some luxury RV's or those used in commercial Golf Carts...but they will fit the standard battery trays of most all RV's.

It is recommended that you change these batteries in pairs or the new battery will only perform as well as the older one.

12V batteries (including AGM's) do not have the same capacity for deep draw (cycle) that comes with 2-6Volt batteries, so most RV's use the pairs of 6Volt batteries. But, the Optima Blue Top is the next best thing.

Best of luck and safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:20 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Very nice. Thanks for giving me precisely what I needed.

One more question: Do they make 6V AGM batteries? It's the maintenance that bothers me, since we are not full timers, and the MoHo is still an occasional sideline in the midst of a myriad of other competing priorities (too many other projects).

Maybe my question should be more appropriately: Do they make maintenance-free 6V batteries?

Thanks for all info.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #4

What ever batteries you chose to use you need to replace all 4 unless the other two are relatively new.
Traveler52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:39 PM   #5

The Battery Watering Systems they sell are one of the best things I ever added to Motorhome . I have four 6 volts and can add water to them in about 1 minute without getting dirty or the threat of getting acid on my clothes. Keeping Batteries clean, full of water and charged will make your Batteries last the longest. I got 9 years out my last set from SAMs Club and they still weren't dead when I replaced them. Maintainance free only applies to water not keeping them clean and charged.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #6

If you can find the Trojan brand at a decent price (it varies by dealer), I would go for them. A friend who had a solar/off grid business for 25 years considers them to be the best.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:04 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks. I presently have Trojans, and I'm wondering if they were the originals from 2003. I'll check if the terminals are stamped.

I have heard about the battery watering systems, and I'll check that out.

TDogKing - is there any brand you are using?

FINALLY, are any of you using the "2-4oz of mineral oil" added to each cell (dependent on 6V vs 12V)?

Thanks.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:43 PM   #8

There certainly are lots of options for batteries. I for one never was good at maintaining our batteries because we don't have the battery slide and well,,, it just wasn't easy for me so I didn't.
That being said after much research I went with 4 of the Lifeline 6ct AGM batteries. It gave us 600 amp hours and we boon dock a fair amont so it made sense. Not cheap and they certainly are heavy.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:53 PM   #9

FINALLY, are any of you using the "2-4oz of mineral oil" added to each cell (dependent on 6V vs 12V)?

You will still find a few using it but you will also find many who regard it as another snake oil scheme. May have been good in very large float-service stationary batteries, but probably not a good idea in small batteries getting shaken around on the road.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:03 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
The Battery Watering Systems they sell are one of the best things I ever added to Motorhome . I have four 6 volts and can add water to them in about 1 minute without getting dirty or the threat of getting acid on my clothes. Keeping Batteries clean, full of water and charged will make your Batteries last the longest. I got 9 years out my last set from SAMs Club and they still weren't dead when I replaced them. Maintainance free only applies to water not keeping them clean and charged.
I put 4 oz of mineral oil in each cell around 2004, much cheaper than any watering system. I got one month under 10 years out of our Interstate U-2200's and they were still doing OK. I just didn't want trouble with them on an upcoming trip.
Put the mineral oil in the new ones too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D
I put 4 oz of mineral oil in each cell around 2004, much cheaper than any watering system. I got one month under 10 years out of our Interstate U-2200's and they were still doing OK. I just didn't want trouble with them on an upcoming trip.
Put the mineral oil in the new ones too.
I've used the mineral oil thing....water miser caps....but neither replace the need to regularly check your water levels. As a result, I think the pro-fill systems are the best answer to a low maintenance, hassle free living with wet cell batteries. Easy to use, no need to remove caps, access to difficult spots, takes no more than a couple of squeezes to insure your battery fluids are OK....expensive, but a great investment in your sanity & your batteries..... The poor man's AGM's!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #12

In the RV'ing world, there are no 6 volt battery's in reality, there ARE 12 volt battery's that come in two half's, and test electrically, at 6+ volts.

Ed
Who is some times easily amused.
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have oil in my four 6 volt batts. No corrosion in compartment and have not added water in 3 years. We live in MH for 6 months out of the year and keep it plugged all the time. Oil works.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
OK, I am a rookie when it comes to Class A's. Don't be hard with your comments or flames.

If my coach came with two house batteries and one cranking battery, and all three are 12v, how would I change to enough 6v's to do me any good?

Would it be a good or bad idea?

Tags
battery