Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2016, 08:20 AM   #1

House battery wiring for 2003 Holiday Rambler Ambassador

Hi all,

I just purchased a new to me 2003 HR ambassador. I had to replace two of the house batteries. I wrote down where the wires came from but am now confused. One of the wires shows that it goes to the 6v side of front battery..My question is what runs on 6v or do I have the position wrong..Thks in advance for any replies..J.C.
disisjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2016, 08:37 AM   #2

Not sure if it's in yours, but some use a 6 volt tap to dim the interior lights.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:45 AM   #3

My guess would be study your drawing one more time it doesn't sound logical.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:56 PM   #4

2003 ambassador

the 4 6 volt batteries must be wired in series in order to produce 12 volts overall. This means the positive of one goes to the negative of the next, so 2 batteries are wired together. NOT all 4 in a single line, but TWO sets of 2 wired together.
If this coach is new to you, do you have the Owners Manuals? If not e-mail me at george1369@att.net and I'll give you the info on how to get both Owners and Electrical manuals direct from Holiday Rambler. (By the way, not a good idea to replace only 2 batteries, unless the remaining 2 not replaced are relatively new and in good condition)
george1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:30 AM   #5

What I should of done...

If anyone has this same MH could you please take a picture of the battery placement..Thanks J.C.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by george1369 View Post
the 4 6 volt batteries must be wired in series in order to produce 12 volts overall. This means the positive of one goes to the negative of the next, so 2 batteries are wired together. NOT all 4 in a single line, but TWO sets of 2 wired together.
If this coach is new to you, do you have the Owners Manuals? If not e-mail me at george1369@att.net and I'll give you the info on how to get both Owners and Electrical manuals direct from Holiday Rambler. (By the way, not a good idea to replace only 2 batteries, unless the remaining 2 not replaced are relatively new and in good condition)
Thanks George, I want to replace the two 6volts with a deep cell 12v but am not sure I can because of the one 6v position wire..
Old 12-05-2016, 02:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by disisjc View Post
Thanks George, I want to replace the two 6volts with a deep cell 12v but am not sure I can because of the one 6v position wire..
that is a step backwards as two six volts have more staying power than a single 12 Volt that's the reason 6 volts are most widely used in a RV
there is nothing I have ever seen that runs off 6 volts in a RV
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:51 PM   #8

house battery wiring for 2003 ambassador

JC,
how many house batteries do you want to end up with? Two 12 volts, One 12 volt, Two 6 volt and One 12 volt, Four 6 volt ?
Four 6 volts are normal in that coach, but if you never dry camp Two 12 volts will do. I've never seen a single 12 volt setup, but it's not impossible.
Remember, though, that your slide-ins run off the house batteries and if your battery runs low on charge you'll have to run the generator to recharge or put a charger on it. If the battery charge gets below a certain point your inverter won't recharge it, even if you run the generator or hook up to shore power. You MUST then put a battery charger on and bring the battery up to par.
If you want to see the electrical layout of a 2006 Ambassador I can scan it and post it, it should be the same as 2003.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:10 PM   #9

house battery wiring 2003 amvassador

JC, Here is elec layout of 2006 ambassador
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MH elec layout.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	146127  
Old 12-06-2016, 05:08 PM   #10

I have the 03 imperial which is one step down from yours. If you haven't resolved your issue I can take pics of my batteries if that will help
Old 12-07-2016, 05:48 AM   #11

picture..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgholson View Post
I have the 03 imperial which is one step down from yours. If you haven't resolved your issue I can take pics of my batteries if that will help
Thanks for this..It would be useful if you could take the pic of your battery layout..J.C.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by george1369 View Post
JC,
how many house batteries do you want to end up with? Two 12 volts, One 12 volt, Two 6 volt and One 12 volt, Four 6 volt ?
Four 6 volts are normal in that coach, but if you never dry camp Two 12 volts will do. I've never seen a single 12 volt setup, but it's not impossible.
Remember, though, that your slide-ins run off the house batteries and if your battery runs low on charge you'll have to run the generator to recharge or put a charger on it. If the battery charge gets below a certain point your inverter won't recharge it, even if you run the generator or hook up to shore power. You MUST then put a battery charger on and bring the battery up to par.
If you want to see the electrical layout of a 2006 Ambassador I can scan it and post it, it should be the same as 2003.
I was going back with the six volt setup but the battery place talked me into replacing two of the sixes to one 12 volt. I very seldom dry camp so shouldn't be a problem.. Do they still use the six volt batteries in the new rv's, the battery tech seem to think that the new 12 volt batteries were better than the sixes..Please if its not too much trouble scan and post battery layout..thanks in advance..J.C.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:09 PM   #13

Here's my set upClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1481137707.592720.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	146199 with 4 six volt batteries
Old 12-08-2016, 11:05 PM   #14

We had to replace batteries that were not that old. No one told us we have to check them once a month to make sure they have water in them. Now we know. The only sealed house batteries are military grade that cost over $300.00.
two22penny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring, battery, holiday rambler