Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
House calls for Rv Tec ??

I need real help ....Have a 1999 Monaco Diplomat ....was replacing the flooring over the winter took out all my console's to fit flooring under them for factory fit.......BIG DUMMY me removed my driver side console that holds my controls for 5 switches like... from left to right 1.exhaust-brake..
2. Step cover...3.Cruise...4.Cruise Cancel...5. Accelerate/Coast....They all are plug ins on backside of panel with different number pins on each switch. But I didn't mark them when I unplugged them from console. Now I cannot seem to get them back in the right order. The first time I plugged them back in (thinking they were right) I tried to start the coach and it turned over then ...stopped without starting. Hit the key switch again and all my gauges started to go crazy. I stopped right away ...checked my switches on my console all were tight. I am guessing I have the plugs on the wrong switches and that's causing my gauges to act crazy. ANYWAY I have tried to switch them around and cannot seem to get it right. My question I guess is ....does any one know of a TECHNICIAN that will make house calls ...I cannot get my coach started now ...?????? In Maryland
Happy RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
Community Administrator

As in the old TV show. Car 54, where are you ? Which part ( city ) of Maryland ?
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
would it be possible to contact monaco for a wiring diagram?
I went on the monaco website- they have service center locations on it- maybe they would have a wiring diagram or even know a good mobile tech.
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Cliff ....We are in Southern Maryland a small town just outside Washington Dc...it's called...LaPlata Maryland 20646
Old 03-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Here's a link to rv service reviews for Md. Maybe you can find someone close by.
http://www.rvservicereviews.com/StateList.asp?state=MD
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I do have a wiring diagram however it looks like you need to be an engineer to read it .....
Old 03-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #7

Good suggestions so far. But if those don't pan out, if you have an ERS (Coach Net, Good Sam ERS, etc.), they should have on their database a mobile service in the area that you're in.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #8

Are the wires numbered?

You may be able to locate someone with same unit that can document theirs, numbers, photos etc.

Expect to send some funds for dinner...we all work for food...
Old 03-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe someone out there has the identicle coach and can tell you how they go from their coach layout.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy RVer View Post
I do have a wiring diagram however it looks like you need to be an engineer to read it .....
I have learned on my schematics that if you start from the component (switch?) on the diagram you wish to trace, the schematics are very helpful although intimidating at first. They are just a map of wires.

Follow the lines until you find the other end. If you have wire numbers on the schematic, it is much easier. If you can, make a copy of the diagram (scan to your computer and print) so can use colored pencils to trace the power flow.

Usually the wires shown on my schematics are just the power wires not the ground wires.

Without wire numbers, you will need a Voltmeter and a 18 gauge cheater wire.

Clip the cheater wire to one of the target wire ends so your meter can "reach" both ends of the wire to be tested. Set the meter to continuity measurement or ohms measurement. Then touch the meter leads to the open end of the cheater wire and the other to the remaining end of the wire to be identified. An infinity reading indicates you have both ends of the relevant wire identified. A 1 on the meter indicates you do not have two ends of the same wire, look for another.

If your manual also has a wire number schedule, that will be very helpful to identify the "from" "to" attachments of specific wires and shorten your analysis of the wires in question.

Good luck.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #11

on each plug and socket check the pin location and count on both the plug and socket. compare and try that that is alot easier than tracing the wiring
boweavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Are the wires numbered?

You may be able to locate someone with same unit that can document theirs, numbers, photos etc.

Expect to send some funds for dinner...we all work for food...

I also have a 2 drink minimum!
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #13

Happy RVer wrote "The first time I plugged them back in (thinking they were right) I tried to start the coach and it turned over then ...stopped without starting. Hit the key switch again and all my gauges started to go crazy. I stopped right away ...checked my switches on my console all were tight. I am guessing I have the plugs on the wrong switches and that's causing my gauges to act crazy."

This won't help with your switch connection problem, but to me your starting problem and guage problem sound like a discharged cranking battery. Have you checked the battery?

Fred
Old 03-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
There may be interactions that I'm not aware of, but I would start by disconnecting all of the wiring from those five switches, then try to start your rig again.

Check and see if some of the wiring is bundled into larger harness groupings. For example, you have several switches and leads that go to the cruise control. If you find a bundle with the right wire count you can pretty much rely on those wires connecting to the cruise switches. Through this process, you may be able to at least identify which wires go with which switches.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote