Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2021, 12:31 AM   #141

I decided to tackle replacing the front air bags on my Horizon last week. It has the Freightliner XC solid I beam front suspension. After reading this thread and watching a couple of YT videos I thought I’d make the tool that allows access to the partially hidden 1-1/8” nut that holds the bottom of the air bag to the support (see first pic).

Now that the job is done I have to report - the tool is the way to go - if you can make one or have one made for you. With the tool it took me 2 minutes to remove the bottom nut and the whole job took an hour a side.

Here is the parts list and a couple of pictures.

Steel bar is 1/4” thick x 1-1/2” wide x 14” long
1-1/8” six point socket cut down to 7/8”
The hole in the bottom of the bar to allow the air bag stud to pass through is 13/16”.

Once welded dress the end of the bar with a grinder like in the picture, this will let you slide it under the stud easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62A06D5C-9017-4642-8EAE-4ABE15E2A8A5.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	324473   Click image for larger version

Name:	01F57BDB-3894-45CE-920E-4911B0FE3000.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	465.8 KB
ID:	324474  

Name:	4F6E7C08-97EA-4D21-821B-405F61644D87.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	324475   Click image for larger version

Name:	E552F249-255F-4DF8-82A3-BCEA28D0A4C9.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	375.6 KB
ID:	324476  

JaminSamin is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2021, 07:29 AM   #142

Thats a great idea !
im not sure if this forum has atool loner / rental program as others do .
if allowed maybe one can be started . im sure that tool could be popular for others to use also . Somewhere in the near future i could.
Although i could make one also . That sure would make it easy .
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:50 AM   #143

Hey Jamin,
Yep, I have all that equipment to make that same tool. If I would have made one, it may, or may not have worked for me. That nut, on both sides, was SERIOUSLY TIGHT and rusted. It took my Snap On Blue Point air impact quite a bit of time to break both sides loose. It might have been worth it for me to make it, just for a try. But, I chose the hard way. No one ever accused me of being smart.
I can tell you that, after replacing all four air bags AND, one pressure protection valve, my air system can be parked at 120 psi and, 24 hours later, it's at 115 psi. Most guys for the most part, couldn't care less about how much their system looses air, as long as it builds and works properly when they're in and operating the coach.
IN any case, glad the making of that tool worked for you. It definitely make replacing those bags quite a bit less of a headache.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:24 AM   #144

I would surely sign up for the tool rental/borrow program. Being a retire State Trooper welding is something I never learned how to do. Right now I'm working on getting the rad ect out to replace the pivot bolt on the water pump tensioner pully that broke while trying to replace the belts. Not an easy job. Thanks Ray
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 12:38 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJr View Post
I would surely sign up for the tool rental/borrow program. Being a retire State Trooper welding is something I never learned how to do. Right now I'm working on getting the rad ect out to replace the pivot bolt on the water pump tensioner pully that broke while trying to replace the belts. Not an easy job. Thanks Ray
Ray,
First off, thank you for your service as a state trooper. Growing up in So CAL, I always wanted to be a California Highway Patrol. But, I settled for being a fireman for 30 years. It all worked out.

Anyway, welding is to me, even at 68, is still kind-a fun. Being able to weld, in all facets, MIG, TIG, STICK and OXY-ACT, has always been pretty satisfying. Not to mention it's saved me a TON of money in the 60 years or so I've been doing it.

As for your yanking the radiator out, yep, been there, done that, TWICE! Each coach, diesel pusher that is, presents its own idiosyncrasies of complications. Some are not too bad while others, like mine, are NOT VERY FUN. But, like welding, I've been doing this kind of stuff for decades and, it's satisfying and saves quite a few bucks for me to put into the diesel tank for our ventures. Good luck on yours.
Scott
Old 06-15-2021, 09:22 PM   #146

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
...Front 10,410
Rear 17,500

It might, I SAY MIGHT be a suggestion that the part numbers for the front air springs are the same, *NEW90557249* and the rear part numbers might be the same at:: *NEW90557290* Again, this is all just a guess. If any of you that have a Winne or Itasca, Freightliner chassis of XC or Evolution, and have those axle weight ratings, can participate in the DTNA website and look up your part numbers or, lay under your beast and see if you can find a part number on those air springs, and report back, then maybe we'd be close to an answer here. That is of course if anyone's interested.
Scott
Here are the numbers for my 2005 Vectra 36RD on the Freightliner Evolution Chassis with 228" wheelbase, NeWay ADL-120 Rear Suspension, and ZF IFS Front Suspension:

Front 10,410 (limited by the OEM tires)
Rear 29,410

FRNT 002 SPRING-AIR,ZF IFS, FIRESTONE 16-17315-000 2 EA
REAR 004 SPRING-AIR,RSUSP,ADL NEW 90557290 2 EA

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:32 AM   #147

Where is the best place to look for the numbers ?
On the bag itself or the base plate .
Mine is an 05 Journey 34H .
Iwill have to do this sooner than later !
Old 06-16-2021, 11:46 AM   #148

I aired up . Crawled under .
Could not see any thing on the Rears . It must be hiding .
Although on the Front all I saw is this . But no number .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	49E440B8-4048-4662-80E2-8E04A35D22F9_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	387.7 KB
ID:	332391  
Old 09-06-2021, 08:33 AM   #149

How much and from where

Quote:
Hey JC,
I have misnamed that large piece of steel, in between the two thinner ones. It's actually called a: *Spring Beam*, as labeled in my DTNA Parts Pro layout of my coach. I've been calling it a "Spring Bar". Oops! The upper and lower, 1/8" plates are called: Retaining Strap(s). I've also been referring to the four large bolts as 5/8". They are in fact, 3/4" Gr8 bolts. There are two short, and two long, for each side of the air bag. The longer ones are to retain the torsion bar bracket to the axle, as well as clamping the air spring mount plate to the axle.

The *Dowel Pin* on the Part Pro drawing has some strange measurements. But, in any case, it's pressed into the top section of the axle. I can't remember from my first encounter with the drivers side, if the upper retaining strap has a hole in it for the tip of the dowel or not. Obviously the bottom retaining strap does and so does the spring beam.

As for using C-clamps for keeping the assembly in one piece while the air spring is removed and replaced, well, due to the shape, size and dimensions of the parts involved, C-clamps may be tough to get in there and do any kind of retaining. Besides, while I did have an issue with the dowel alignment on the drivers side, I had no such issue with it on the passenger side due to the fact that, I spread the distance between the axle and the frame juuuuuust far enough to wiggle that old air spring out, and the new one in, without tempting the spring beam and axle separation which, might have dislodged the dowel from the spring beam. So, no catastrophes there. Hope this description is of some help here. As for prolonging the replacement of yours, well, only you can make that decision.

I might have put it off for a lot longer if I would have not heard the air hissing from the coach one night after backing it in from getting fuel. But, I guess one would call it a blessing in disguise. That front air bag, as you all saw in the video, was in sad shape. Who knows just how long it might have lasted BEFORE it went KABLUIEEEEEE!

I don't know what the general life expectancy is of these. As stated, mine were around 17 years old and, 97,000 miles on them. I guess I pushed my luck far enough. I have right at $898 in four new air bags. I doubt VERY SERIOUSLY I'll be putting in the next round of air bags!

Dunrollin,
Thanks for the nice comments on the write up. Some might call it "long winded" but, there are some that have reported that the job of replacing them (the air springs) is pretty simple. Well, all I can say is, mine were NOT SIMPLE. My explanation of what it took to get those 1 1/8" nuts to break loose was just PART of it NOT BEING SIMPLE! But, I will say, the drivers side was a learning experience. The passenger side was easier but, those large nuts were still a pain.

As for not re-using the factory *push-to-connect* air connections and fittings, well, that's up to the individual. I myself, in the 9 years of ownership of this coach, have not had one single one of those type fittings/connections, give me any trouble what so ever. And, they sure make for disconnecting and reconnecting real easy. Yep, the rear air springs are due in Thursday. So, depending on my mood, I might jump in and tackle them on Friday or Saturday. It all depends on the weather. If it's nice, I'm going for a MOTORCYCLE RIDE!! Those air bags will have to wait. If the weather sucks, well, then it's time to attack the rears! And yes, the tires and wheels will have to be removed.
Scott
If you don’t mind me asking where did you get your rear airbags from and what was the price?
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:57 AM   #150

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Here are the numbers for my 2005 Vectra 36RD on the Freightliner Evolution Chassis with 228" wheelbase, NeWay ADL-120 Rear Suspension, and ZF IFS Front Suspension:

Front 10,410 (limited by the OEM tires)
Rear 29,410

FRNT 002 SPRING-AIR,ZF IFS, FIRESTONE 16-17315-000 2 EA
REAR 004 SPRING-AIR,RSUSP,ADL NEW 90557290 2 EA
Just correcting the GAWR rating for the Rear suspension in my earlier posting:
Rear 19,000 (29,410 is the GVWR, not the GAWR)

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:53 PM   #151

Quote:
Gang,

Just got home from fueling up the coach and after I'd backed it into it's cave, I shut the thing down and closed the cave door. As I've heard a time or two before, I heard some *hissing* from under it. Even with my worn out, 68 year old ears, I could hear some hissing. That in itself is quite astounding! Anyway, I decided to at least put some effort into locating this hissing. This coach has had an air leak for quite a few years. I'd done a soap and water spray down of many of the fittings etc. a few years ago but, that attempt at a find, was futile.

And, I also realized that, over time of owning this coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT 330HP, that the air leak, was more prominent when left on the suspension and not the jacks. And of course, it sit's considerably lower on the suspension than it would if I had it on the jacks. Hence, this is why I never really put much effort into a search as, I have a hard time squeezing this fat old body under it when it's that low.

But, hearing this leak this evening, I thought what the heck, let's give it the old college try. I got out my trusty soap and water sprayer and, I carry a flashlight on me since I'm both BLIND and deaf, I worked my way under the front end since that's where the hissing was coming from. Well, even with my old, siren and air horn destroyed ears, I could inch my way towards the noise. I sprayed fittings on everything that was near me. Nothing. More squirting of air lines and more fittings, nothing.

Then, I thought, what the heck, let's spray the air bag. WOW, now THAT'S AN AIR LEAK FOLKS!!!!!!!!!!! As you can see in the video, yep, Houston, we have a problem! So, now, the search begins to find one. I know that their fairly common but, I think I'll cruise on over to DTNA and plug in my coach and see what the exact part number was from the factory. I'm going in folks, cover me!

Scott

If you don’t mind me asking where did you get your rear airbags from and how much were they?
Old 09-06-2021, 10:58 PM   #152

edgewant,
Well, here ya go. In my learning about this operation, I ended up getting my air springs from three different places. The first one was from Freightliner at whatever price I paid. The second front air spring came from Finditparts.com, ebay, $224.50

The two rears, came from SDtruckspring.com but, they were drop shipped from Firestone. W01-358-8184 (2) $423.10, for both.
Scott

Tags
problem