Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2021, 07:48 AM   #29

Send a message via AIM to sgordo88 Send a message via MSN to sgordo88 Send a message via Yahoo to sgordo88
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
There’s no need to reinvent the wheel. 110 dryers are the only thing in Motorhomes with the exception of a very few high end ( prevost type) units and they use 220 electric.
The 110 dryers just take a little longer and smaller more frequent loads. Are you in a hurry ? The combo vented splendide that we have had has worked great for 7 years and a lot of full timing. I would avoid the ventless models.
I hate wasting time in laundromats If we had the space I’d opt for the separate washer dryer models for convenience of washing and drying at the same time but the combo once you understand how to use it works fine. Most people don’t take the time to understand the differences.This is standard faire in Europe and Asia they think Americans are crazy with their big laundry pairs .
In general Gas appliances, especially those not designed for rv use are in my opinion dangerous… an rv is a tinderbox anyway not to mention the tightly closed space carbon monoxide issues.
Welp, just floating the idea. As for the danger, properly vented, it would be no more dangerous than a furnace or water heater.
sgordo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2021, 07:58 AM   #30

Send a message via AIM to sgordo88 Send a message via MSN to sgordo88 Send a message via Yahoo to sgordo88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
The parts manual shows a resistance (electric) heater. Would have been nice.

WD802M Ventilation
I had to look up resistance heaters. Heck, yeah, 100% efficient.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:05 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
If you are thinking about converting a natural gas dryer to LPG / propane please note that propane contains almost 2.5 times the energy of natural gas.

You will have to swap the metering jets in the unit, and propane jets may be difficult to find for some dryers. Those that are sold in rural areas (where propane is all there is) will be a better bet.

My reference book says that one cubic foot of propane = 2,516 BTUs compared to one cubic foot of natural gas = 1,030 BTUs.

Mike
Nearly all or 100% of gas appliances have LP conversion kits available. Because LP is more fuel rich, as you point out, the conversion kits throttle down the fuel line to a smaller orifice opening. The facts you share explain why we only had to fill our five pound LP can, once, in three years.
Old 07-23-2021, 02:35 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgordo88 View Post
Welp, just floating the idea. As for the danger, properly vented, it would be no more dangerous than a furnace or water heater.

There is a significant difference between a motorhome furnace or water hearer and (residential) LP dryer. A furnace or water heater has a combustion chamber that has a dedicated combustion air source and vent to the outside. The combustion chamber does not communicate with the atmosphere inside the RV so carbon-monoxide cannot enter the RV.

This is not true with a residential dryer and probably is the reason there are no manufacturers selling LP dryers for the RV market.
Warrenjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:32 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
On the invoice I posted- model WD802M ?

Appears they no longer make a gas dryer model.....too bad, mine works like a champ
I too was intrigued with the idea of an LP dryer....

I found an installation manual and Data Sheet for the Splendide WD802M. It was made between 1996 and 2002.

In both the Installation Manual and the WD802M data sheet, there is no mention of any LP gas inlets, fittings, or installation instructions/notes. I found a parts list for the WD802M that shows an electrical heating element..

The owner of the model WD802M must be mistaken if he thinks it's an LP dryer... There is absolutely no paper trail I could find for one, however I found paper showing it with an electric heating elemnet. I suspect he is confusing the difference between the ventless and vented dryers...

Of course, it's possible he got a one-off LP gas version, I guess...

We have a vented combo Splendide 2100XC in our motorhome. Yes it does small loads, and yes it takes longer than a home unit, but my wife loads it, sets it, and then a few hours later it'a all done.. She just ignores it, letting it wash in the background, while we do many other things.. she has a pretty large home washer & gas dryer... but this is our 1st RV with a washer/dryer and she loves it!
Old 07-23-2021, 03:47 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
We load our wd, and hit the road. When we get where we're going, everything we wore yesterday is clean and dry. Simple. Ours is vented.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:29 PM   #35

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hattitude View Post
I too was intrigued with the idea of an LP dryer....

I found an installation manual and Data Sheet for the Splendide WD802M. It was made between 1996 and 2002.

In both the Installation Manual and the WD802M data sheet, there is no mention of any LP gas inlets, fittings, or installation instructions/notes. I found a parts list for the WD802M that shows an electrical heating element..

The owner of the model WD802M must be mistaken if he thinks it's an LP dryer... There is absolutely no paper trail I could find for one, however I found paper showing it with an electric heating elemnet. I suspect he is confusing the difference between the ventless and vented dryers...

Of course, it's possible he got a one-off LP gas version, I guess...

We have a vented combo Splendide 2100XC in our motorhome. Yes it does small loads, and yes it takes longer than a home unit, but my wife loads it, sets it, and then a few hours later it'a all done.. She just ignores it, letting it wash in the background, while we do many other things.. she has a pretty large home washer & gas dryer... but this is our 1st RV with a washer/dryer and she loves it!
......well dadgum, paint my horn toad red, I dug around behind the washer/dryer.... IT'S ELECTRIC, it's electric.. ha-ha
All these years I thought it was gas.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:01 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
We load our wd, and hit the road. When we get where we're going, everything we wore yesterday is clean and dry. Simple. Ours is vented.
So you run it off the generator or the inverter while on the road?
Old 07-23-2021, 06:40 PM   #37

American Coach Owners Club
I have ran mine on road a few times using Genset. But 99% time it's in a campground with sewer hook up.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:17 PM   #38

Quote:
I have been doing some work and there are zero-clearance, gas dryers (all can be converted to LP) that I think would be the perfect work-around for the absence of 220 volt in our 30 amp rig. My biggest concern has become fitment. I think I have the space for a stackable in our 1999 Winnebago Adventurer 37G, but, since it new to us and in the shop for touch-ups and check-outs, I am not sure of the door width. Are there compact gas dryers?
Anybody have experience with this?
Here are a few reasons why not to install a LP Gas Clothe Drier
#1 100% of the combustion air must come from outside your Motorhome
#2 100% of the Flue Gas must be vented to the outside of your Motorhome
#3 LP Gas is heavier than oxygen and if you have a leak it will settle to the lowest point which is the Motorhome floor
There is a reason why Motorhome Manufacturers do not install LP Gas Clothes Driers, Safety and Liability
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:56 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
If your only concern is about the dryer fitting in the door of your coach, you may try your emergency exit window. I'm not familiar with your coach but many have windows in the bedroom or living area that hinge at the top and swing out for emergencies. If yours is like that, and it is large enough, you can remove the window or swing it upward to get the dryer into the coach.

WOW, I would like to see a coach with an emergency window that big!!!
Old 07-29-2021, 04:42 PM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There are plenty of 120V dryers you can consider.

Adding a gas or propane converted dryer to an RV seems both dangerous and unnecessary to me. My coach has separate, stacked washer and dryer. The Whirlpool dryer is on top on its own shelf, it runs on 120V AC, and it has more than enough capacity. The used to be Whirlpool but now is an Electrolux washer is below and sits in a pan. When my original washer died I measured the opening and found several models that would fit. I also anticipated the death of my dryer but it's still running. It's opening is the same size and I found several 120V AC models that would fit. Unless you are looking for a full size residential dryer you don't need to be concerned with higher voltage power to run it.

My last coach had a Splendide combination washer/dryer and I hated it. Capacity was small, it took hours to both wash and dry a load, and it vented into my coach. Even with it we had to find a local laundromat every two or three weeks to wash the loads that either didn't fit into the machine or that would take too long to dry in it.

Look around for an electric dryer and I am sure you will find several that will both fit and work for you.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:58 PM   #41

We have a '14 Winnebago 37F Adventurer. It came equipped with Splendid Washer and Dryer (stacked). The Dryer is 115V, not 220. It is more than adequate and has performed flawlessly for 3+ years. It is a bit loud but tolerable.
Bob '14 Winnebago 37F Adventurer; Jeep toad
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:00 PM   #42

Quote:
Yes, besides LP, 110 volt is the only option for RVs. The criticism I have heard of 110 volt units is that they are slow. So, LP would give one a chance to install a full residential unit in a RV.

I lived with an apartment sized 110 volt dryer for years when my kids were small so plenty of loads of baby clothes, bedding, etc plus I worked construction so plenty of work clothes/jeans and the 110 volt dryer was just fine. Its not like you sit there watching it until its done but just set it and forget it. Yes it takes longer but you learn to plan around it and don't start the next wash load until the dryer is halfway finished. It helps when the washing machine is well matched to the size of the dryer and you don't overload them. Biggest problem people have is getting an extra large capacity washing machine, overloading it and then trying to stuff the items from the overloaded full sized washing machine into the 110 volt compact dryer. A little common sense is all it takes to make it work.

In an RV do you really want the bulk and weight of a full sized washer along with a full sized dryer inside your RV? That can consume quite a bit of wardrobe and storage space over what an all-in-one Splendid or even a Compact Combo Unit use.

Be mindful that your propane refrigerator, furnace and water heater are in cabinets that vent directly outside and have integral fire walls around the burner areas so any propane leaks will end up outside the RV and not spilling inside the living space while most gas dryers if they leak will be doing so inside the relatively small envelope of the living space in your RV.

Tags
gas, gas dryer