Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2021, 09:42 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to sgordo88 Send a message via MSN to sgordo88 Send a message via Yahoo to sgordo88
How about a gas dryer?

I have been doing some work and there are zero-clearance, gas dryers (all can be converted to LP) that I think would be the perfect work-around for the absence of 220 volt in our 30 amp rig. My biggest concern has become fitment. I think I have the space for a stackable in our 1999 Winnebago Adventurer 37G, but, since it new to us and in the shop for touch-ups and check-outs, I am not sure of the door width. Are there compact gas dryers?
Anybody have experience with this?
sgordo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2021, 10:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgordo88 View Post
I have been doing some work and there are zero-clearance, gas dryers (all can be converted to LP) that I think would be the perfect work-around for the absence of 220 volt in our 30 amp rig. My biggest concern has become fitment. I think I have the space for a stackable in our 1999 Winnebago Adventurer 37G, but, since it new to us and in the shop for touch-ups and check-outs, I am not sure of the door width. Are there compact gas dryers?
Anybody have experience with this?
If your only concern is about the dryer fitting in the door of your coach, you may try your emergency exit window. I'm not familiar with your coach but many have windows in the bedroom or living area that hinge at the top and swing out for emergencies. If yours is like that, and it is large enough, you can remove the window or swing it upward to get the dryer into the coach.

If that's not feasible, you may have to remove a window, frame and all, to get enough room for the dryer. More complicated and expensive, unless you DIY, but doable. The final solution is to remove one side of the windshield, obviously more difficult and requiring a professional. At that point, I would think hard about the doing the change-out. Might have to find a smaller dryer, if possible, like you were thinking.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:49 AM   #3

I would like to follow this post.
Warrenjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:59 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to sgordo88 Send a message via MSN to sgordo88 Send a message via Yahoo to sgordo88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenjo View Post
I would like to follow this post.
Since 220 volt is not an option in nearly all or all RVs, this would make residential-level drying work. There are discussions I have since found that discuss this. From what I have, so far, gathered, the only "extra" thing required, besides the LP conversion and venting out, is perhaps an "intake" vent for outdoor air, which makes huge sense given the carbon monoxide risks.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:00 PM   #5

My concern would be how much propane is it going to burn. Will you end up having to fill your propane tank quite often. I guess it depends on how much laundry you do.

Unless you are a full timer, I wonder if it is worth the hassle. Our rig doesn't have any spot for a washer/dryer, and on our longer ventures, my attitude is go to a laundromat where you can wash and dry multiple loads at one time. I know it's not cheap, but just the price of being on the road.

If we were full-timers or on the road a lot more than we are, than I'd be looking to get a rig where one of the washer/dryer units could be used.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:12 PM   #6

Our Needs are Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
My concern would be how much propane is it going to burn. Will you end up having to fill your propane tank quite often. I guess it depends on how much laundry you do.

Unless you are a full timer, I wonder if it is worth the hassle. Our rig doesn't have any spot for a washer/dryer, and on our longer ventures, my attitude is go to a laundromat where you can wash and dry multiple loads at one time. I know it's not cheap, but just the price of being on the road.

If we were full-timers or on the road a lot more than we are, than I'd be looking to get a rig where one of the washer/dryer units could be used.
Not full-timers, but intend some months-long trips. Our needs arise from our adult son, who has autism. We need some means to address washing on a frequent basis and he has little tolerance for the tedium of a laundromat, which is doable, but may not keep up with our needs. I fully agree one can get much more done at the laundromat and such, likely, will still be necessary from time to time.
As for the propane, estimates I have heard range from .25 gallons to 1 gallon per load. I think .5 gallon is most accurate since a dryer would not be doing a continuous burn. And most large estimates seem to assume constant burn at the highest BTUs.
Thanks for the input.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:38 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Why not use Splendide washer/dryer? Able to wash and dry in same machine
Mine uses very little lp...
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:36 PM   #8

The only thing I see is same DIY issues as installing any stackable in RV as loss normal top access that's normal for single dual mode until. Plus to be able to hook up flex gas line and slide in and out dryer as well as vent hose / duct. Maybe create a side access door for adjacent cabinet. Maybe someone can share pics of stackable installation and access . There are high flow safety valve flex gas lines I would suggest one on top of RV one.
Is it an issue with lack of power to run 120v dryer/dual washer dryer plus have AC or too much laundry or boondocking thing.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:38 PM   #9

Do you have a LP dual Splendid machine. Was it original or did add it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 03:35 PM   #10

Yes it's lp, and no...it was factory installed
Old 07-22-2021, 03:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Yes it's lp, and no...it was factory installed
I would love to know the model number of an LP version of the Washer/Dryer combo.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood58 View Post
I would love to know the model number of an LP version of the Washer/Dryer combo.
Here you go

http://splendide.com/

Attachment 336871Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210722_190054685.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	336872
Old 07-22-2021, 05:56 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Your Splendide uses no LP. They are all electric.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:05 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Please supply a model number. I have search Splendide's website and can find no gas dry washer dryer combos.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, gas dryer