Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2020, 03:16 PM   #1

How Alert Are You??

My son is traveling back to WI from AZ and encountered a potential fatal event yesterday. Traveling on the OK Turnpike yesterday @70 mph in his Newell towing an enclosed trailer, he observed a vehicle passing him at an estimated speed of 80 mph. While alongside of his coach, he heard a "woosh" of air and saw some dust next to his coach. He recognized the passing SUV having a tire blowout and immediately braked to slow down. The SUV then swerved in front of him with pieces of tire and debri flying off. It went to the shoulder, then to the ditch and finally came to a stop just before dropping into a creek. His quick response to the event prevented the vehicle from slamming into the side of his coach and although he weighs 60,000# plus a 15,000# trailer, the result of an impact at 75 mph would not have been pretty for him or the other guy. How quickly that suv could have flipped from slamming into his side if Scott had not reacted as quickly as he did.

He was headed home and stopping at Newell in Miami, OK for a service appointment today. Fortunately, the stop is still for several little issues and not major body damage.

We can never become complacent when on the road. We can't control what happens around us. We have to be ready to react to anything.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2020, 03:40 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
That wasn't just alert, he was also aware of what the noise was as well, and had the presence of mind to act immediately on what he heard and saw. Good on him.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:28 PM   #3

Staying alert of what is happening around you is a must for driving a MH. Good job by your son. I always keep aware of what is going on around me with all the idiots on the roads these days.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:32 PM   #4

The closest thing I've had to that happening was a car that apparently dropped it's driveline on the freeway right next to me. The car rose up and then fortunately slowed down immediately. I didn't need to react, thankfully.

But yeah, stuff can happen right next to you. Scary to think about.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:40 PM   #5

KUDOS to your son.
Heads up driving and NOT panicking/ Good skills when driving any vehicle much less a 60K MH

While traveling FT we were passing a slower moving semi tractor/trailer (yeah I know.....not normal)
Just as my 5vr was along side the tractor one of the drive tires BLEW
Sounded like a 12ga double with both barrels going off

Fortunately lane to my left was empty giving me a place to go and get away from the flying debris
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
... Traveling on the OK Turnpike yesterday @70 mph in his Newell towing an enclosed trailer, he observed .....
Observed your son passing me in Texas. Just shook my head. A few mile later on the side of the with the cargo trailer listing to starboard.

I would have stopped and helped but I was driving BIL car. My rig and TOAD has all manner of jacks and shoring to help those refuse to learn the lessons of history. Also know first aid and CPR.

Your son was driving to fast for his tires as was the other driver. The expected result of a bow out of high center of gravity rig is a broken neck. Your body is not designed for such events.

Whenever a RV rig or semi passes me going 70 mph I think the driver has a death wish and the hair stands up on the back of my next hoping they will not take me with them.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
Observed your son passing me in Texas. Just shook my head. A few mile later on the side of the with the cargo trailer listing to starboard.

I would have stopped and helped but I was driving BIL car. My rig and TOAD has all manner of jacks and shoring to help those refuse to learn the lessons of history. Also know first aid and CPR.

Your son was driving to fast for his tires as was the other driver. The expected result of a bow out of high center of gravity rig is a broken neck. Your body is not designed for such events.

Whenever a RV rig or semi passes me going 70 mph I think the driver has a death wish and the hair stands up on the back of my next hoping they will not take me with them.
OPs son was NOT the one with blowout or crashed

SUV had the tire blow and crashed
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:02 PM   #8

Sometimes it pays to read the entire post. Nice driving job. Maybe a tad fast though.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:00 PM   #9

Your son was very lucky, happy it ended well.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:33 PM   #10

Quote:

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you are talking about. What does a cargo trailer listing starboard on the side of the road have to do with an SUV blowing a tire next to my son?? FWIW, his tires are rated for continuous speed of 75.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
OPs son was NOT the one with blowout or crashed

SUV had the tire blow and crashed
Thank you for stating the obvious. I apologize for for my safety zeal.

Let me ask old biscuit this. Which would rather investigate, a fatal engine room fire or a minor burn?

You can learn as much about safety studying the later as the former. I learned this for while training to investigate accidents at the nuclear power plant. As it turns out my best friend from grade school in Indiana investigated fatal trucking accidents.

During one visit I followed him from his house to his office. He blew through every stop sign.

More recently I looked into taking our granddaughter camping in our Class A. I found no cases of children being killed.

It was a wonderful trip. The last pictures I have of my wife before she died in her sleep. There is a natural order to life and it is not easy.

Your you want a recipe for attending the funeral of your children and grandchildren based in real life here it is.

Tell then to get a big MH. Tow a big enclosed utility trailer for all of your toys. Drive like a bat out of hell.

If the OP started by say his son was driving 60 mph and being alert for what could go wrong; then I would be heaping praise.

Sow down and enjoy life while you can.
Old 11-03-2020, 05:19 AM   #12

OK, here's a confession. I was driving on a two lane road at 45 mph, headed for the barn and not paying as much attention as I should. I saw a car stopped ahead of me with the left turn signal on and waiting for oncoming traffic.

Full emergency stop and I avoided a collision but another coat of paint and I think there have been contact. Just a reminder that you must keep fully alert and these things do not stop like a sedan.
Warrenjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:59 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Lets keep to the topic of staying alert to your surroundings please.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Thank you for stating the obvious. I apologize for for my safety zeal.

Let me ask old biscuit this. Which would rather investigate, a fatal engine room fire or a minor burn?

You can learn as much about safety studying the later as the former. I learned this for while training to investigate accidents at the nuclear power plant. As it turns out my best friend from grade school in Indiana investigated fatal trucking accidents.

During one visit I followed him from his house to his office. He blew through every stop sign.

More recently I looked into taking our granddaughter camping in our Class A. I found no cases of children being killed.

It was a wonderful trip. The last pictures I have of my wife before she died in her sleep. There is a natural order to life and it is not easy.

Your you want a recipe for attending the funeral of your children and grandchildren based in real life here it is.

Tell then to get a big MH. Tow a big enclosed utility trailer for all of your toys. Drive like a bat out of hell.

If the OP started by say his son was driving 60 mph and being alert for what could go wrong; then I would be heaping praise.

Sow down and enjoy life while you can.
Thanks for more "Safety Zeals". The point of my original post was to remind us all the importance of being aware of our surroundings at all times. What you are saying is that if he had been going 60 mph his reaction was correct, but doing the same at 70, he was driving too fast? His speed is normally 65-67, but on a turnpike with few merging on ramps, good weather and a better road, he bumped it up a few. He was actually slower than most, as he was being passed by several vehicles.