RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2018, 06:54 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
90% of our camping is done in NP, State Parks, county and city parks and have never had a problem with size (currently waiting for deliver on our 37PA and previously had a 37 foot class A). Sometimes a no go because campground is full.

I think some of the reasons many do not see a lot of 38+ footers in the park campgrounds is that a majority of those owners prefer to camp in RV resorts and parks with full amenities rather than "roughing it" in the parks systems.
momdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacay Wheels View Post
.... From what I observe, the vast majority of people with the bigger rigs park further out, and drive in to many destinations. This summer, I could only find one other >30 foot class A in a week in Yosemite Valley, and it was a park host.

Yeah, I've seen the same over the years. I'm a wildlife photographer putting on presentations and visiting five coastal campgrounds in an immensely popular area dozens of times a year, beyond our own camping. We see plenty of the largest rigs on the road...at certain locations, and know where it's very unlikely to find anyone over about 30-35'.

It's a compromise, like so many of the choices made with RVs. Get the most room in your RV and you have the most room, but you're not going to fit into some campgrounds and within some campgrounds you're not going to fit into the best sites.
To some this compromise is a problem, and we see accounts of people downsizing to go more places. We all know this to be true, right?
WheelingOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:45 AM   #31

https://rvinspection.com/contact-us/

Don't forget to get fluid analysis too.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:28 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtogo View Post
Thanks for the feedback. We live in St Petrrsburg Fl. and having the coach professionally inspected is a great suggestion. Can someone recommend a good inspector in the area.
Not sure of their coverage area but I used this company about 2-3 weeks ago. Thanks to their service, I did not purchase the coach. Not cheap but worth it.

Art Horton LLC
RV Quality Inspections
Level 2 Certified (advanced)
Art Horton, LLC - Home
arthortonllc@gmail.com
386-562-8721
SavageCatHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:40 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacay Wheels View Post
For the OP, I'll agree with those who say not much difference between 36 & 38. I'm pretty sure I've never been anywhere that would have been fine with a 36 and no-go with 38.

On the flip side, I am always surprised to see the amount of people who seem to be able to go anywhere with their 43-footer. At 33 feet, we've scraped by at Yosemite, Yellowstone (other than Fishing Bridge), and definitely in BC provincial parks. From what I observe, the vast majority of people with the bigger rigs park further out, and drive in to many destinations. This summer, I could only find one other >30 foot class A in a week in Yosemite Valley, and it was a park host.
I called Yosemite just today (2/13/2018) and shared the length of my potential coach plus the toad and was informed they only had a small handful of 50' pads (some dual pads some not) but they were booked since May 2017.

Here is a link for Yosemite RV Parking: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

The best advice I'd give (and I'm new and still without a coach) is to call or visit the web site of the park(s) you intend on visiting and find out (tedious tasks - believe me!. The answers in this thread are just too generic and may be giving you false hope. I've done the same search as you and found threads like this one. After contacting Yosemite, my wife and I are reconsidering coach options. We were considering 40'-45' but now are considering shorter in order to fit the older National Parks (NP).
SavageCatHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:38 PM   #34

Forest River Owners Club
I was able to stay at the Bridge Bay CG inside Yellowstone NP with my 40' coach and toad...

It took numerous calls until I was able to get a booking agent there that was willing to work extremely hard at getting me a site.... He even went the extra mile of moving a shorter rig into the single spot they had that was too short for me but would work for them so that I'd have access to the longer site....

We've stayed at Fishing Bridge (never again) but really didn't like it....

Most of the 8 times we've been to Yellowstone, we've stayed just outside (1.5 miles) the South gate at Flagg Ranch and used it as our base....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:27 PM   #35

We have had our 42' Country Coach for 9 1/2 years. We started out looking at shorter RVs for exactly the same reason you state. Before the 42' we had a 26' and it would go anywhere. So we looked at a whole bunch of class A motorhomes and bought the one that I thought drove the best and to us had the best interior floor plan.

We have had some issues over the years getting into spots both at public and private campgrounds. Most of the problem was with roads in the park that the turns were too sharp. We always tell the park what size we are. A few have said no due to length. Fishing Bridge at Yellowstone is one. But we just went to Colter Bay a few miles south. The last few times we went to Yosemite we rented a cabin near Wawona or stayed in the Awhanee.

If you are going to go on two week trips size is not much of an issue for being too small. If you plan to go for two months you want big. At least I do. I also really like a campground that is at the top of the Lassen N Park road. We have a tent in our basement storage and use it for a day or two leaving the motorhome below.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote