Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2015, 12:05 PM   #1

How cold will rv take

I have read through most all the posts on winterizing but haven't seen this ask so far.

2014 Providence sitting in cold storage. Plugged in with Aqua Hot and tank heaters. Temp set on 45 and holds it steady. Checked it at 6 degrees and inside was 45 degrees but water filter was 32. Drained filter and put 60 watt light in side door for a little extra heat.

Currently not drained because of trip at end of this week. Suppose to get to -10 Wed night here.

Will it survive ?

thanks
pointrow
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2015, 12:10 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Turn the heat up inside a bit........basement will also be warmer, especially with the light bulb. I am not saying it will survive.......but this would help I think.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:39 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have been in mine several times below zero, -15 F in Breckenridge CO noting froze up, but I did supplement the utility compartment with a small electric heater. I also spent a -23 F in MO many years ago, the dump valve froze closed so I couldn't dump that morning, but a little electric heater in bay and in no time it thawed.

I agree with more heat, especially in the utility compartment. Other thing is, what type of refrigerator do you have? My brother froze his 2 way fridge in his '01 Eagle in Breckenridge with me because he wasn't using the propane side. I have a household fridge in mine.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:05 PM   #4

I'd watch the water lines exposed to outside walls. Especially the ice cuber lines. Put an extra electric heater or two in the compartments with water in them.....run the water once in a while to make sure they don't freeze up.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:33 PM   #5

It is more of a question of the rate of how much energy you put in and how much it loses.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:23 PM   #6

Turn the house thermostat up to 70! That's where you are going to want it when you leave on your trip anyway, so why not warm up the house now? The additional thermal energy in the house will help keep things from freezing up in the basement.

I would never leave our coach plugged in and set at only 45 degrees. You've already lost the war against the cold when the temperature is set that low.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:28 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most class A motor homes with heated enclosed tanks are rated to 20 degrees (F) with the furnace set on 68 degrees.

With modification you can make it to 10-12 degrees (F) (did that last winter).
Old 01-04-2015, 04:47 PM   #8

In addition to turning the heat up, open the cabinet doors under the lavatory and kitchen sink. And if you have a washer, get some heat to the pipes for that. Personally, I would blow the lines out.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:58 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
In addition to turning the heat up, open the cabinet doors under the lavatory and kitchen sink. And if you have a washer, get some heat to the pipes for that. Personally, I would blow the lines out.
Ditto blow out the lines, what if power went off for short while and you start at 45?
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:05 PM   #10

Our 07 cc magna froze up at -15 earlier this winter. we added a heat exchanger off he aqua hot into the plumbing bay, before it had only a radiator with o forced air. we also added line heaters and added an ac electric heater set for 62f. Just in case I added a shut off valve between the holding tank and the water pump so I can drain just the lines with the low point drain. Finally I bought cheap pillows that fit between the bay door and the plumbing bay cover for additional insulation while on the road. I recently had it in - 20 with no freeze up in the plumbing bay,
buddfalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:33 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I place eight trouble lights around the coach...washer, water pump, ice maker, etc. Also, if you have it, turn on the AGS (Auto Gen Start) so if you lose power the gen will come on to recarge the batteries...which you'll need for the Aqua Hot.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote