Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #1

Talking How did you get such a great deal on your coach?

So my upcoming purchase of a coach may be the largest I have ever made. I want to make sure that I make a good deal. I know some of you crafty RVers on this forum have made some deals way below MSRP.

Please share your experiences on how you got such a great deal.

Did you time your purchase to your advantage?
How did you avoid some of the dealer ploys to grab more cash?
What was your strategy going into negotiations?
How did you get your dealer to accept your low offer?
Did you use a trade in in your dealings?
Any other advice for novice RV buyers?

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.
James
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #2

- It was August.

- I said no to everything.

- Gave them a price that they laughed at, but they took it.

- They had no choice.

- Yep. The deal was that I gave them a price that included absolutely everything (except their add-ons). And Out The Door Price. Worst case, it would have been a low point to bargain from.

- It is your money. Be brutal. I have bought 3 rigs. Only had to deal on 1.

Best of luck.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
An easy answer would be is to do your homework!!!!

We purchased our coach new in 2011. We bought it at a large RV show in KY. We did our homework and had settled on 3 makes and models that we intended to pursue and went from there. We checked the MSRP on each and then decided what we could reasonably afford and not to go above that predetermined amount. The day of the purchase we thoroughly examined each of the makes/models and took our time over lunch to narrow the search. Once we had decided to "bargain", we made an offer for the one we had selected that had the floorplan we liked better than the others. The sales rep. played the "I will have to check with the boss" yada, yada. We held firm and decided to give them time to "consult" and looked at RV supplies for about 2 hours - went back and they accepted the offer, reluctantly, or so they said. We had a Travel Supreme 5th wheel that we had sold outright before shopping, so no trade-in. We believe that we got a great deal and have thoroughly enjoyed the MH. We now have over 25,000 miles on it and although not trouble-free, it has not had major issues. By the way, if you live close to Indiana, there are some good deals to be had in and around the Elkhart area - assuming the coach was made there. Good luck with your search and PM me if you would like additional information.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I looked it over, gave them a take it or leave it offer. They said no initially, I said call me when you want to sell it. The rig was sitting in a snowbird area and it was June. I figured they would either sell it at a heavy discount or have it sit on the lot until November, maybe longer. Took them 1 week and 3 offers, but they finally came down to what I offered them. I held my ground on what I was willing to pay, said no to any extras or any offer other than mine.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
Community Moderator

- yes, when econo was at the lowest; supply >>> demand

- i don't buy vehicles from dealers. the good deals are in private parties'.

- use the power of walk away

- n/a for me; but you should always be in control.

- n/a for me but not necessarily bad

- price wise, do not over stretch... always keep a cool head.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post
... snip ...
... snip ...
Remember, stories about miles per gallon, length of fish caught, and deals got on an RV purchase are wrought with wishful thinking.

SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #7

I think you need to convince them that you will walk if they don't take your effort. If you are not convincing on this, they will never believe you and take your deal.
COMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Remember, stories about miles per gallon, length of fish caught, and deals got on an RV purchase are wrought with wishful thinking.
And there are always doubters.
Some think 25-30% off MSRP is a deal. I start way waaaaaay below that. And stayed there 2 of 3 times.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
And there are always doubters.
Some think 25-30% off MSRP is a deal. I start way waaaaaay below that. And stayed there 2 of 3 times.
No doubter here . . . just a realist with the knowledge businesses normally make a profit, at the very least minimize their loss.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #10

We recently sold our MH and during the process we had a couple of people take the time to "educate" us about the "real" price of our MH, A couple of folks were even kind enough to leave us there name & contact info so that we could call them when we came to our senses and reduced our price!

They were such nice knowledgeable folk ....and I don't want to appear ungrateful or unappreciative of their free advice....so I keep wondering if I should call them and let them know how lucky we were to sell the MH at many thousands $$$$ more than they offered? They are probably sitting by the phone waiting for my call & I feel bad about disappointing them....maybe I'll call them tomorrow.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #11

I think be realistic, it goes a long way. Do your homework, you know they are not in business to lose money. I made an as determined by me, reasonable offer on a nice unit I really would have liked to have had at McClains RV in OKC. They yucked it up pretty good, told me how ridiculous I was, and how unreasonable I was being. Me, I knew I was not being any such they and that my offer was reasonable. I walked away, drove to Texarkana and bought one a few days later from a private seller. McClains called me back to sell me the RV they initially wouldn't they were a day to late. Also, for sure keep in mind what SeeTheUSA stated, I took it to mean "eyes wide open"!
YZF571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
When I found ours (1999 Dutch Star) on craigslist. We discovered the owner listed it with the wrong phone #. And no email address I figured out the right phone number, called him and he was real anxious, To sale
Ron & Kerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #13

Sorry, I can't help you. According to my friends I always pay to much. Btw my friends always get better mpg then I do.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-Bota View Post
Sorry, I can't help you. According to my friends I always pay to much. Btw my friends always get better mpg then I do.
This made me laugh! I have worked with people that always could have gotten it cheaper if I had only asked or they know of something that is better, cleaner, faster, stronger yada, yada, yada. For the OP, do your research in-depth and decide what a fair price is for a unit and make your best offer with all the bells and whistles you want on it and then wait and see what comes back to you. Decide up front what you are willing to pay and if you decide that is the one and you buy it, pay no attention to the hordes of people that will tell you how you got taken advantage of. They are everywhere.

Alan