Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2020, 10:27 AM   #1

How did you start out camping?

I wonder how many of us started out in the camping life style.

We started out in tent camping late 50's lucky to find electric and water sites.
Time out for military spent time tent living in VN.
Started camping again in the late 60's with a three sided Popup bought it from K Mart.
Upgrade to PU slide in in the 70's.
Another time out.
Bought a used Airstream refurbished it in the 90's.
Finally retired and upgraded to a Holiday Rambler MH 2003.
Another and probably the final time out 2019.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2020, 10:46 AM   #2

We also started in a tent, then in 1966 we bought a COX popup then after many years with the cox we bought a VIKING popup, much bigger than the cox, then went to a used 25ft pull trailer, then bought a new 32ft citation pull trailer, 20years later went to a 30ft HR with slide out, 1yearlater a36ft 2 slide out pull, we rolled it over on 2nd trip and bought a 38ft HR 5th whl ,10years later traided to a 34ft bounder DP and 6yrs later still have it.

Bob
littlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:29 AM   #3

Started out tent camping mid 70's. Bought a mini motor home mid 80's, camped and traveled for 10 years. 1996 bought a used 37 foot Class A Itasca. Camped and traveled some more. 2009 bought used diesel pusher with a slide and traveled to Florida for winters. 2017 bought our 2006 Mountain Aire and are spending our time in it year round.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:42 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
The first night we camped was the first day of our cross the USA trip in 2001. So far we have crossed the country 18 times then winter in Florida.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:03 PM   #5

My dad borrowed a tent in 1964 since he didn't know if we would like camping. We went to Sequoia and fell in love with camping. Bought a tent at Fedco and used it for the next 16 years. Then married into an RV family. Borrowed the in-law's Class C until we got our own pop-up. Then came the 19' bunk trailer that we used for 16 years. Had our 28' trailer for 4 years and just graduated to our 1st Class A: 2018 Thor Axis 25.3.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:05 PM   #6

Fell in love with camping as a young boy with the scouts. I enjoy it as much today but require a few amenities.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:24 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cub Scout/Boy Scouts early 50s. RVin 1974
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:03 PM   #8

From an older post - but I always enjoy rereading it - -

So what’s my story?

Talk about a trip down memory lane! LONG

My love affair must have started very young – My Dad was in the Navy and we would travel from one coast to the other, stopping in most if not all the National Parks, during at least one of the trips, or to an Island in the middle of the Pacific almost every year until my last couple of years in High School(11-12 cross country trips) allowing me to catch the travel “fever” very early.

My story started with a 1949 Packard in 1964 – pulled the back seat and made a bed in the back and everything else on the roof or under the bed – had a canvas awning and a twenty-five gallon drum on the roof for water –Those were the days, Every weekend, in the summer at the Beach, Candles and Flashlights, Prep School and first year of College (1964-67)

Next was an old Diaper Truck (small UPS style truck) – converted it to a Camper - Built a bed, closet, running water - gravity, sink, Ice box, and an inside hammock, for guests – First class type B - got me through college but had to let it go as I got Married and started teaching and Coaching High School(1967-1969)

Next was a real Pick Up Camper – 8 feet of luxury in/on the back of a 67 Chevy ½ ton – don’t think it had real plumbing but did have some running water and a great bed over the cab – had some sort of set up so you could crawl through the back window to gain access to the back – Was teaching Civics at the time and had my kids do a report on all the National Parks, then in the summer of 1971 did the big loop with my wife, Her first trip out of the Mid-Atlantic, seeing the whole country with her, coast to coast in 21 days – then went to OC, MD to rest for a couple of days at the end. Remember $.24.9 cent gas in Denver and having the mirror in most of the pictures. Mt Rushmore – YNP – Tetons – GNP – SLC – Reno – RWNP – SF – PCH - Disney – YNP – SNP – Las Vegas – GCNP – San Juan’s – RMNP – Denver – Smokies – Annapolis (1970-1975) (8,900+miles)

Next were a few Class C’s. Had gotten out of teaching and started a business and a family so had very few trips in these other than just locally, Williamsburg, DC or the Beach drove to the slopes some to ski. (1975- 1985)

GMC Palm Beach – now that was a Coach – used it mostly for skiing (until I learned it would not go in the snow – then would use the class C) GMC got us (DW and 2 Son's) to the West/Rockies for a couple of family trips – Rushmore – Canada – Glacier – Yellowstone – SLC -- RMNP - and a lot of Lacrosse and Football TailGates in the 80’s – lost the brakes (had rusted trough with pinholes - (drove into the center grass, for a ways till They Pumped up) - going to a Lacrosse game in 86’ and parked it for about 8 years (Kids -- sports – work -- limited the RV trips –so we used Airplanes to get where we could quickly – these times were a blur) best riding Coach I ever owned. 26’+- of smooth riding/no storage Coach (1980-1994)

Kids were in College started to dream of RV'ing again so I worked on a List of what I thought a coach should be - National Trop-I-Cal 37’ two slide outs - Gas on a truck frame - (found the RV web sites and slowly began to really think about and learn about the RV) – Kids graduating college and closing the business, got the DW to agree to let me get back into the real RV lifestyle, this is when I learned what you really needed in a Coach – First let me say the Trop-i-Cal it was a Great Unit! But we found what we did not like -- to sit at a booth – needed a larger shower – real wood is really worth the money – King sized bed sure would make the nights better – Rear generators are not to sleep with when you boondock with the air on – did not like to stare up, at a front TV – sure did want Air Ride – pretty good to stay in just not so great to drive (needed air ride – gas unit) Coast to Coast up and down the East Coast, probably a 100 college and Pro lacrosse games and even a few football games. (1999-2004)

Did a small subdivision to be able to afford a New Coach - Saw a Travel Supreme at a Show and the Layout and I was hooked.

Travel Supreme 42DSO4 During the RV boom TS would allow you to design build a production Coach (shame they didn’t survive) - allowing me to make many changes/additions and have used/loved this Coach for about 5 years out West - well built and Beautiful. Spent three years figuring out what we needed and wanted. Spent a couple of hours on the phone with Johnny T one of the Moderators and he helped with adding the finishing touches, things I had never thought about. this Coach was large enough – Air ride – Mid station TV – King Bed – Hydro-Hot – extreme cold weather equipped - on and on………..Larger is better, designed for the way we enjoyed using a Coach, from a High end Resort to Boondocking and Tailgating. Great in the cold in Yellowstone and Colorado – spent a few years commuting out to Colorado and the Rockies – couple of winters in Golden and all of Utah found we loved Colorado and all of the Southwest. (2004 – present)

Still have the TS - had to take about 7 years off to take care of the DMIL Traveled very little - couple of East Coast trips Out to Colorado a couple more Times, but mostly it sat and we flew.

Now the Coach is 14 year old - Just put New shoes on it (Yes still drove it with 14 year old Michelins) - I was a Heavy Contractor - we ran trucks with 75,000 lbs on them and 30 year old tires) - New Batteries - replaced the NoCold with the Samsung. Think the DW will love it. Changing all the fluids - repairing almost every exterior electrical connection - re caulking and Eternabonding the seams - have done the leather and the wood every year and they still looks like new - Fisher and Paykel may need a little work as will the Hydro Hot. TV's - might needed to be updated - Have been switching lights to LED's - ................... Feel I am really Close to Having the MotorHome back in my Life.

This Summer with Covid - Grands had No Camps/No Family Reunion at the Beach and we all spent the Summer in the Rockies, in our Covid Isolation Vehicles Together - This was the Old Man's Dream summer - Best ever - Had a few issues - Alternator wore out - Turbo almost fell off - Replaced Coach Batteries - blew the Transmission (will be discussing this with Allison as the TCU was set from the factory to drop into 2nd gear at 60 miles an hour - not right) - Best summer ever, like I said Long.

"You Asked"

Thanks for letting me take the trip down memory lane,

- -
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:24 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Boy Scouts in the 60's, tent camping.

Tent and blue tarp in the 70s with my Vega, roof rack and 10' boat.

Bought a new 74 GMC 2500 pu and a used up 10' Open Road camper, lots of memories camping when I was single.

Finally settled down and bought a 22' BellBoy boat. DW and I spent nearly every summer in the SanJuan islands and BC, boat and tent camping.

Moved up to a new Truck/Alpenlite camper in the late 80's. Many camping and snowmobiling adventures made in that rig all over the PNW. Probably the best camping trips we ever had were made in that setup. Oh to be that young again.

Bought a piece of recreation property in CleElum and a 22' Terry Travel Trailer. Eventually sold the Alpenlite and property, and drug that Terry everywhere.

Bought a recreation "Cabin" at Lake Cushman Wa. "Camping with dignity" my wife called it.

Retired and bought a 23' Winnebago Class C. Too small and uncomfortable. Sold Seattle house and moved to Cushman full time.

Built big shop and remodeled "cabin" into permanent residence. Sold the Winnie to my neighbor. (Don't ever do that btw)

Bought our current 36' pusher, best move ever.

Life really does happen one step at a time, but don't wait until you retire to enjoy it.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:39 PM   #10

Earliest memory I was 4-5 and the youngest.Dad put family of 6 in 67 Chevelle station wagon with home made car top carrier. Camel brand cabin tent . We could make and break camp in 15- 20min. Frying Spam on gas Coleman stove for breakfast. Watching small towns for dry ice signs. Yellowstone Park was probably best trip. I even remember Dad getting too tired and pirate camping just off the highway. I remember painting light root beer colored waterproof at on bottom couple feet of canvas it was probably a molecule off from Agent Orange . Coolers back then not great so we painted its box ,that box was waterproof to pouring rains. I still have the tent .
Me.... tents to popup to 35'TT and now 95 Monaco Crown Royale.
Happy Thanksgiving all.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:49 PM   #11

I started off in the early 1980's, tent camping while on motorcycle rides....

I continued my Motorcycle camping into the 1990's:

Into the 2000's:

And into the 2010's:

Then in 2015, I added a wife and two Great Danes to the mix, so I switched to a toy hauler:

I thought I was in heaven, until March of this year when I switched to a Class A toy hauler... Of course, the dogs think the garage is theirs... So I have to remove the Motorcycle as soon as camp is set up...

Old 11-25-2020, 03:26 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Camping life for me

Wife and I built a custom camping van in the early 70's and really enjoyed camping in campgrounds and Boone docking. Being an avid motorcyclist we soon converted to Motorcycle Tent camping. Then our first Son came along and we went to a popup in the mid 70's. After 2nd Son was born we stepped up to a TT but found it not as much fun. We went back to a Hard side Palomino popup and enjoyed this for several years. In the mid 80's we bought some Lakefront property and built our home there. Boats and PWC soon took the place of camping for many years. After our boy's were grown and gone we decided to leave Lake life and built a new home in the middle of 47 wooded archers. The Wife and I went crazy and bought a Big Truck (Simi) and ran freight over all lower 48 states and Canada. We had a big sleeper and were self contained as most small campers. We loved it and called ourselves PAID TOURIST.
After 10 years we decided to come off the road and retire and take care of our ageing parents. We missed camping and bought a small 18' TT. After 8 years we decided to take another leap of faith and bought out Motorhome. It's been three years now and we are loving it!!!
I am so glad to have found this site, it is so informative and Great people always willing to help and answer my sometimes Stupid questions.
1Motorhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry1p View Post
spent time tent living in VN.
Thought I might reply to this, but that leaves me cold. Been a camper all my life, but have no idea what "living in VN" means.
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 05:18 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My parents bought our first family trailer when I was about 8 or 9 years old. It was a Shasta 12' singe axle trailer. My dad had a lot of vacation time every year and we camped out west quite a bit. The trailers got bigger as we got older. At 21, I bought a Lance camper and never looked back. Over 50 years and close to 200,000 miles of RVing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image016.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	309309
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping