Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2020, 01:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanluc001 View Post
you can't rent a vehicle you don't have a license to drive.

It's the sellers responsibility to make sure of the buyers competency driving a large vehicle?????? that's just plain funny right there.

No but you can get someone to rent it for you and go with you to take the test. It’s done all the time.
And I would assume the seller would really like to sell the vehicle. just like you can dicker with price you can dicker with how the deal goes down. Buyer has all the leverage.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2020, 02:05 PM   #30

More good info, much appreciated.

Idaho will issue a temporary tag and they do not charge sales tax as it's temporary. PA will not issue a temporary tag to drive it home, so I would just have to register permanently in PA once home. I think I have 30 days to do that.

Yes, it's funny, but insurance companies are blithefully unconcerned about the sort of license you have when they issue your RV insurance.

I have no illusions that driving a magacab dually with a 33 foot fifth wheel is identical or even largely similar to driving a class A. That said, one does get used to driving with many things in mind about speed and vehicle height and distances and turning radius and allowances that will be helpful in driving a class A.

I plan to do a lengthy demonstration drive on different types of roads with the RV before I drive it home. I am sure the dealer will spend some time with me if I decide to buy it.

Winemaker2, I discount about 90% of what the dealer would tell me about driver licensing anyway, since Idaho requires no special license and when I return to PA that's not their problem.

TheWoodBoss, I plan to spend sufficient time learning the systems once I get out there. I will be spending several days getting new tires installed, test driving the unit and going over each system with the selling dealer. I am having a local independent RV shop (not the selling dealer) go over it in detail and give me a report as a prerequisite to flying out there to buy it. So I will spend at least several days going over the unit and testing it out before I hit the road for PA.

I have also downloaded and reviewed the Winnebago Tour owners manual and will go back over key sections on the mechanicals, operational systems, understanding the air brakes, etc. Last thing I want is to be stranded with a 40 foot RV somewhere along I-80 in Wyoming.
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:06 PM   #31
tvp

How Do I bring a new Class A Home?

In Ontario Canada, we need what is classified as a class D license, this is a truck license and you need to pass a 80 question test first (80%) then book a 1 hr driving test . Lost of reading etc. I opted to take a truck driver school , they prep you for the written exam and give you time behind the wheel of a truck that they let you use for your test , they book everything and make sure your good to pass. Well worth the money, only stipulation is you need a Medical every year from your doctor/ eye test etc.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:46 PM   #32

TVP, that option of doing a commercial driving school makes sense too. If I were younger and could do some CDL work along with driving the motor home I would probably do that.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:51 PM   #33
tvp

I guess I did not have a choice,
First the 80 questions were tough enough that having a teacher to help you was important to pass the first time , then having them book and supply a truck to take test in also helped , good safety info and experience
Old 09-25-2020, 02:53 PM   #34

Driving without the correct license, gives your insurance a great reason to decline any claims... big issue...

I’m in Wisconsin, no requirements for a special license. Yet, I see websites saying you don’t have reciprocity in all states, just some...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:55 PM   #35

I'm retired. Have a Class "A" CDL and also drive a DP. I like to travel. FLY us out there I will leave the dealer and you take over to gain your experience, while also studying your course materials for your written tests. 4 days max and a ton of experience.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:57 PM   #36

Maybe it's different in PA, but here in Colorado I just went to a dealer and asked to test drive some coaches. I had never driven a Class A and let them know. I don't think there is a special license requirement here, but the dealer never even asked to see my license. I drove both a 36 foot gasser and 38 foot diesel. Even though I had never driven a Class A, I didn't find it at all difficult. So maybe it's possible to get in some practice in PA by just doing a few test drives, even without the license.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:35 AM   #37

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donskiman View Post
Maybe it's different in PA, but here in Colorado I just went to a dealer and asked to test drive some coaches. I had never driven a Class A and let them know. I don't think there is a special license requirement here, but the dealer never even asked to see my license. I drove both a 36 foot gasser and 38 foot diesel. Even though I had never driven a Class A, I didn't find it at all difficult. So maybe it's possible to get in some practice in PA by just doing a few test drives, even without the license.
On test drives ... It's funny, I was interested in a similar class A Winnebago at Tom Schaeffer RV here in PA and I called to see if I could drive it. They said they only let you drive it if you're sure you're going to buy it. That did not sound very accommodating to me so I lost interest in that RV pretty fast.

I think that by registering the class A (temporarily) in Idaho, the RV is held to their laws in all the other states which I drive through (no class B required) and I'd be good to drive it until I change the tag to a PA registration sometime before my class B driver's test.

Then my only challenge is to find a PA class B or A licensed driver to go with me. I think that's my solution.

I am grateful for all the suggestions folks proposed.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:43 AM   #38

Alpine Owners Club
Familiarize yourself with operating all systems. Practice driving it until your comfortable. Have a good PDI done before you go.
Toss in your suitcase, add fuel, food, water, beverages of choice and head east. Good luck.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:11 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapehound View Post
On test drives ... It's funny, I was interested in a similar class A Winnebago at Tom Schaeffer RV here in PA and I called to see if I could drive it. They said they only let you drive it if you're sure you're going to buy it. That did not sound very accommodating to me so I lost interest in that RV pretty fast.
They probably don't want to do a test drive like that. What we did was tell the dealer we wanted to test drive two different coaches, a gasser and a DP. Tell them you need to compare the two.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:23 PM   #40

"Who has that much time or patience to help?"
Retired people.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:03 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp View Post
In Ontario Canada, we need what is classified as a class D license, this is a truck license and you need to pass a 80 question test first (80%) then book a 1 hr driving test . Lost of reading etc. I opted to take a truck driver school , they prep you for the written exam and give you time behind the wheel of a truck that they let you use for your test , they book everything and make sure your good to pass. Well worth the money, only stipulation is you need a Medical every year from your doctor/ eye test etc.

I have to disagree with you. In Ontario you can drive an RV of any size with a G license. However if said RV has air brakes you need a Z endorsement on whatever class of license you have.
GonetoRaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:49 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapehound View Post
Thanks for the comments. Not to get off track, I live in Pennsylavnia and the Class B non-commercial license is required for drivers of vehicles over 26,000 lbs. No debate about that. What goes on in other states is irrelevant.

I am just trying to figure out the best way to buy an RV and bring it home from ut of state if you need the class B license to drive it but can't drive it home legally to get the RV to practice and take the test!

The other issue is that it would be nearly impossible for me to find another class A or B license holder to go with me, even if I first got my class B learner's permit, if the RV I want to buy is a thousand miles or more from home. Who has that much time or patience to help?
Google a truck driving school in your area. They will have a vehicle that meets the requirements for the Penn Class B test and they will be set up to provide a licensed driver and the vehicle for the test. You might need to take a lesson or two for you to be comfortable with a vehicle that size and weight. End result is you will have the appropriate PA license when you pick up your RV.

Please let us know how things work out.

Tags
class a