Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2020, 09:22 AM   #85

Gifitz302: I live in Lancaster County, PA, near Morgantown. Will respond by pm.

RightUR:
"Hmm interesting. So your just gonna get a license (even if Temporary) in Idaho without a Residency (requirement)? I guess I'm just dumb, but I don't know of ANY state that will issue a License without a Residency requirement (unless you're active duty)."
Not talking about getting an operator's license in Idaho. I am saying that because I will get a temporary license plate/registration for the RV in Idaho that the vehicle may be operated under the laws of Idaho in all the other states (reciprocity agreements), which means no Class B license is likely required. Many states issue temporary tags to transport a newly purchased vehicle.

Asherday:
"why not just obey The rules of your state? Just a thought!!!"

This whole thread is about how to obtain a class B license in Pennsylvania if the vehicle you're buying (and which you need to take the driver's test) is out of state and you need a class B license to drive it home. It is about trying to obey the somewhat contradictory laws of PA.
Larry
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2020, 09:48 AM   #86

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check with your state about the COVID 19 exemptions. Here in TX I bought a new Class A out of state in June and still have not received any Inspection sticker, registration, or Tags. The DMV is closed so no tests are being giving. The Governor has exempted any requirements for not having any of this until 60 days past the end of the Covid emergency mandated in TX. So you shouldn't have to worry about anything until this is all over but check locally. In my case I have put close to 6K miles on my new coach with expired temp tags, no inspection sticker or updated drivers license. But that's me, you need to do what your comfortable with.
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:59 AM   #87

Bringing a new CLass A Home,

I think the only way to do this with the border on lockdown is the most expensive wiay is using a Border Broker, but you could also check with the dealer to meet you at the Canadian Border with your vehicle, then you take it from there Home.
Peter
studesrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:58 AM   #88

Look on something like UShip for a “drive away”, this is a persona looking to go for a drive and you usually just have to pay for fuel and the plane ticket to send them home: or in some cases I’ve been able to is the RV for a long trip to deliver and paid my own air fair home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapehound View Post
I realize this is a unique question but here goes ...

Can someone tell me how I would buy and bring a Class A RV from out west (Idaho) to my home in PA if you need a Class B license to drive it but can't take the class B license driver's test without having the vehicle to drive here in Pennsylvania?

Actually I guess the question would apply to any RV over 26,001 lbs which you bought to drive home and did not have your class B non-commercial license.

I can easily get a learners permit for a $5 fee, so that's not an issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Larry
HOTRDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 03:06 PM   #89

Drive from Idaho through South Dakota. Stay overnight in South Dakota. Register it in South Dakota. Drive to Pennsylvania. No worries.
n7mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 03:25 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherdav View Post
why not just obey The rules of your state? Just a thought!!!
You and others don't understand the conundrum.
You need the Non-Comm Cl B DL to get the MH and be legal.
You need the MH >26,001# to take the test to get the Non-Comm Cl B DL.
Which comes first MH or DL as you need one to get the other.
Thats the practical problem states ignore when they implement well meaning laws. Unless you know someone that will lend you a vehicle and accompany you as a learner you are SOL unless you spend the $ to go to a school that provides vehicles and accompanying drivers.
I have volunteered to help others in my area with road tests but would probably hesitate offerring use of my MH to a stranger and I would have to see what my insurer said about providing MH to a "learner".
MH dealers should be stepping up to help customers obtain their licenses but their most common response is to mis-inform buyers by telling them they don't need a special license.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:03 PM   #91

Few thoughts...

1) Are you a member of FMCA? If so, post a request there for someone to help you bring the thing home. I've seen posts like this before and usually for the price of a ticket to fly them to the staring point you can find someone to accompany you who has the proper class of DL.

2) Contact one of the local companies in PA that offers driver training for motor homes or for CDLs. Usually they have a vehicle that they will let you rent for a day for the testing.

3) Does PA use third-party testing? Here in Wisconsin nearly all CDL testing is done through third-party test sites, and many will rent an appropriate vehicle.

4) Contact a local motor home dealer about the situation. Likely they have a person on payroll that would be willing to pick up a few extra dollars helping you either get the thing home or to get your license in PA.

5) Do you know anyone with an appropriately sized motor home in PA? If so, ask them for help.

6) Do any of the PA dealers offer driver training? They might have a vehicle they use for training which can be rented for testing.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:13 PM   #92

How many attempts do you get to parallel park a
Class A before you fail?

On a more serious note, would you be able to take test in a Class C? In WY oilfield, the shop kept around an old GMC Kodiak with 15ft flatbed. Still classified as commercial vehicle, other companies would borrow it so hands / employees could do commercial driving test.

Side Note: I initially failed my first driving test because I didnt know where the ether canister was connected on tje same Kodiak above. Next attempt failed due to shifting (i learned in International with autoclutch). Time after that i failed because exceeded speedlimit on 12% grade. Yeah, missed a gear. 4th attempt I passed but I think examiner had pity on me.
Krbjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:04 AM   #93

To get a NC class B you need to test in a vehicle over 26k.

Better and easier is to get a NC class A which allows you to drive any vehicle over 26k and you can tow a trailer/vehicle over 10k.

To test you can use your pickup and a trailer over 10k.
Vehicle over 26k is not needed.

NC class A give you everything a NC class B gives you plus more. You can tow a trailer over 10k.

If you have experience towing a trailer, this is an easier route than trying to get a MH over 26k to test in.
07Ram5500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:03 AM   #94

Driving out of class is expensive.
$165+ ticket and you have to park it and find someone with class A or B license to come and drive it any further for you.
07Ram5500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:22 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by studesrus View Post
I think the only way to do this with the border on lockdown is the most expensive wiay is using a Border Broker, but you could also check with the dealer to meet you at the Canadian Border with your vehicle, then you take it from there Home.
Peter
Did you read the first post? Where do you get Canada in the OP's question?
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:10 PM   #96

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
If the OP must have the CDL to drive his motor home he mite as well go ahead and get it he says he must have it so go get it and get it over with. the MH will be of no use to him until he gets the CDL. I am happy to live in Arkansas where no such thing is needed to drive anything unless it is for Commercial use.
uhm...it's not a CDL.
Old 10-03-2020, 04:32 PM   #97

Seems like lots of people aren't getting the crux of the matter here...

The license required is a NON commercial class B. Not a CDL.

The problem is that in order to test for the license you must have a vehicle that requires said license. But, you need said license to bring home the required vehicle once you purchase it.

This is where another properly-licensed driver is key to making this work.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 03:46 AM   #98

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Seems like lots of people aren't getting the crux of the matter here...

The license required is a NON commercial class B. Not a CDL.

The problem is that in order to test for the license you must have a vehicle that requires said license. But, you need said license to bring home the required vehicle once you purchase it.

This is where another properly-licensed driver is key to making this work.
Richard5933 having a class A or B licensed driver along for the trip is a key issue as you have noted. I have had a couple folks from PA and elsewhere indicate that they are willing to travel to help me bring the unit home, which is amazing and makes this forum so helpful.

Aside with being able to help drive home, they bring their driving and teaching expertise for me on the trip home and also make the whole process "legal" in the eyes of Pennsylvania and the insurance company.

I don't think I am interested in paying to have the coach driven home for me because 1) that way I don't get to drive it and learn and 2) it's very expensive.

If perchance I could not get a class A or B licensed driver to make the trip with me, then I believe that the laws of the state where the vehicle is registered (Idaho) would apply to my trip home, at least until I had it registered in PA. Idaho does not require a class A or B license to operate a motor home over 26,000 lbs.

Richard5933, I am not familiar with the FMCA organiztion so I will have to look into that too.

PA does have third-party testing but the ones I have called so far are only for class C operators licenses.

As far as borrowing a class A, I have a friend with a 22,000 lb GVW gasser but I don't think that would meet the criteria for the test. I honestly don't think it's realistic to ask to borrow a stranger's motor home for the non-commercial class A or B test. (Who wants to loan a new guy their $200,000 motor home, raise your hand...)

I will contact a couple local dealers and see what they would do to get their clients a license. My guess is that they don't offer much and you are on your own for a license, but I could be wrong.

Thanks to all for the great feedback.
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a