Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2020, 06:17 PM   #1

Question How Do I bring a new Class A Home?

I realize this is a unique question but here goes ...

Can someone tell me how I would buy and bring a Class A RV from out west (Idaho) to my home in PA if you need a Class B license to drive it but can't take the class B license driver's test without having the vehicle to drive here in Pennsylvania?

Actually I guess the question would apply to any RV over 26,001 lbs which you bought to drive home and did not have your class B non-commercial license.

I can easily get a learners permit for a $5 fee, so that's not an issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Larry
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2020, 06:38 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I drove mine for 3 years before I knew I needed the endorsement. I had a gas class a for many years before. Didn’t need the endorsement for it. I have the endorsement now. Have never been pulled over in any of them.
Harleytoter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:39 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Get your learners license, and find someone with the proper license to get it with you. That way you will get some driving experienced before taking test
RichieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:19 PM   #4

This really depends on the state, as only about half the states require special licenses to drive a motorhome.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
This really depends on the state, as only about half the states require special licenses to drive a motorhome.

While very true, the critical question is "what are the requirements in YOUR home state".

Nothing else matters. Requirements in other states don't apply.

Said another way-- all other states accept the driver's license standards of all other states-- there is reciprocity in terms of driver's licenses.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:46 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I say get the learners permit and go get your new coach. Odds of getting pulled over are slight and if you do, you may just get a cop that will be sympathetic to the situation.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:46 AM   #7

Thanks for the comments. Not to get off track, I live in Pennsylavnia and the Class B non-commercial license is required for drivers of vehicles over 26,000 lbs. No debate about that. What goes on in other states is irrelevant.

I am just trying to figure out the best way to buy an RV and bring it home from ut of state if you need the class B license to drive it but can't drive it home legally to get the RV to practice and take the test!

The other issue is that it would be nearly impossible for me to find another class A or B license holder to go with me, even if I first got my class B learner's permit, if the RV I want to buy is a thousand miles or more from home. Who has that much time or patience to help?
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:55 AM   #8

I had the same problem with my motorcycle endorsement here in Colorado. I had ridden for 15 years in AL where you don’t need one, but been in CO for 10 years without a bike. Legally, you have to have one to drive the bike to the testing center to take the driving test to get the endorsement, right? I called the DMV and they just laughed. She said technically, you need it to get there, but just park outside and if asked, tell the instructor a friend drove it down for you and dropped you off. They know it’s a catch 22.
rogerfromco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:57 AM   #9

There are RV delivery services. How much, I don't know. If you look hard enough I'm sure you could find someone to go with your but maybe not for free. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapehound View Post
Thanks for the comments. Not to get off track, I live in Pennsylavnia and the Class B non-commercial license is required for drivers of vehicles over 26,000 lbs. No debate about that. What goes on in other states is irrelevant.

I am just trying to figure out the best way to buy an RV and bring it home from ut of state if you need the class B license to drive it but can't drive it home legally to get the RV to practice and take the test!

The other issue is that it would be nearly impossible for me to find another class A or B license holder to go with me, even if I first got my class B learner's permit, if the RV I want to buy is a thousand miles or more from home. Who has that much time or patience to help?

The key word in your post is "practice".

1. Pay a service to deliver the coach for you. Know ahead of time it is not cheap.

2. Buy it from a dealer who will arrange delivery and add it into the cost.3. Go to school get your lic endorsement, then shop.

Realize that you just may not be in the position to purchase an RV from across the country without being able to see it and drive it yourself. A lot can happen on a 2,000 mile trip.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:19 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Like said earlier I drove for years not knowing I needed a Class B. When I went to test I drove by myself and no one asked, or appeared to care.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:23 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As many others have done in the past, you hope for the best and break the law to get the rig home. Second option is you hire someone with a correct documents and experience to drive the coach for you. Third you find someone with a coach in excess of 26K and will be willing to help you get the needed endorsement before buying a coach.

Keep in mind even if you get a leaner's you still need a properly documented driver in the passenger seat to be legal to operate the coach. Same when the day comes when you go to the DMV for your driving test.

A bit of a Catch-22. You can't drive a coach without the license but you can't get the license without a coach to drive. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:29 AM   #13

Unless you have some sort of traffic violation, why would any LEO stop you just to look at your license? I wouldn't give the endorsement a second thought, unless you have never operated a heavy vehicle on the road. Are you concerned about the learning curve of driving a heavy rig? If so insist that the dealer have a qualified tech/driver spend a couple hours with you on the road.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:56 AM   #14

License

I had the same problem as the driver license centers were booked for months. I was hesitant to use the motorhome during the time of having a "permit" as I was not sure what would happen if I was involved in a wreck and if insurance would cover.

When I was finally able to get a driving test slot the license center clerks were a big help as they told me to drive it and they did not care if I had a license driver with me.
backpack96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a