Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2022, 09:06 PM   #1

How Do I tell what type of Coolant is in my coach

I just purchased a coach with an ISL 400 Cummins. It was very well cared for but the original owner has passed so I am lacking some information.

Is there a way to tell what Type of coolant is in the system? I am trying to determine if it is an OAT type or If I need to check SCA levels.

There are some service records I just have not found any info on this yet.

I might check with Blackstone labs to see if they can test a sample.
thanks for any info.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2022, 09:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kramer View Post
I just purchased a coach with an ISL 400 Cummins. It was very well cared for but the original owner has passed so I am lacking some information.

Is there a way to tell what Type of coolant is in the system? I am trying to determine if it is an OAT type or If I need to check SCA levels.

There are some service records I just have not found any info on this yet.

I might check with Blackstone labs to see if they can test a sample.
thanks for any info.

Is there a reason that you haven't contacted a Cummins Dealer?

Tim
Old 07-09-2022, 09:28 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think the best way is to just pull a sample. They should be able to tell you what type of coolant and the condition both it and the motor are in.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 01:57 AM   #4

If its green pretty good chance you need to test with strips, I know not green is 100% non OAT better than 50/50 . Test with strips for nitrate and moly levels they are cheap by 3 pack. Check coolant filter if a blank/ non sca has been put in. Look for label stating OAT has been added near coolant tank.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 07:35 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
When your coach was built, OAT was not commonly used in new vehicles. My 2003 ISL had conventional antifreeze. I know you said it was well maintained, but I would suggest you change all the fluids and filters to give you a new base line starting out. Engine, coolant and transmission (there is a new spec. for synthetic trans fluid that you should included in your upgrade -T668). As mentioned earlier, the water filter should be a filter only, no additives version, if it has had OAT or you ae switching to it.
Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 07:48 AM   #6

When I buy a coach at that age with (16 years old)no/sketchy records, I ASSUME that all fluids need to be changed and do it.

That way I have absolute knowledge that a low-cost fluid change will not cause expensive damage or leave me on the side of the road.

And, even the long-life coolants are basically 6 year coolants. I would flush and fill with one of the new generation OAT based Fleetguard products since you have the Cummins engine and Fleetguard is Cummins's in-house brand.

If you are referring to a short-term "top off", just use distilled water.
Old 07-10-2022, 07:56 AM   #7

Agree with Wolfe10. New to me coach, the first top is to a qualified shop to change all fluids, belts, etc. and do a complete check of everything. More or less starting with a clean slate. I keep maintenance records from then until.....
Old 07-10-2022, 08:03 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Blackstone does not offer coolant analysis, but JG Lubricant does.

If it's green, chances are that it is the old style EG coolant. If it's some other color then it may be OAT or not.
Surf Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:34 AM   #9

Thanks to all. Yes I am in the process of ordering all filters and I will change everything. I may bring it to a shop for the coolant. That is the only fluid I have not ever done.
I think I will send a sample to JG.

Thanks to everyone.....

RK
Old 07-10-2022, 09:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I think the best way is to just pull a sample. They should be able to tell you what type of coolant and the condition both it and the motor are in.
You are correct if you want to find out exactly what’s in the cooling system.

The problem I have with that is with an older vehicle where you aren’t the original owner, there’s no telling what someone used in the system.

The safest way would be to do an engine cooling system flush and reinstall anti freeze according to the engine manufacturer’s specs. Just my thoughts.
Country Road is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 02:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
You are correct if you want to find out exactly what’s in the cooling system.

The problem I have with that is with an older vehicle where you aren’t the original owner, there’s no telling what someone used in the system.

The safest way would be to do an engine cooling system flush and reinstall anti freeze according to the engine manufacturer’s specs. Just my thoughts.
Thank you! Was wondering why that had not been mentioned yet.

Am I being naive in thinking it shouldn't be that difficult to find the info in a service manual for that particular year and engine? Posting the chassis year on here might help to narrow this down.
Old 07-10-2022, 05:55 PM   #12

I would not rely on Cummins recommendations alone.
Check with Chassis mfg as they are the ones that put the cooling system together. When I was trying to confirm what coolant to use in my Freightliner w Cummins ISB engine FL had a very different recommendation than Cummins due to the sensors they installed in the system.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:42 PM   #13

Thanks, I am going to try to check with the strips. I plan to flush the system.

The Monaco Roadmaster chassis was built by the Monaco Coach company in Oregon back in the day.
Old 07-10-2022, 09:08 PM   #14

I don't know much about diesel maintenance but I am trying to learn a bit and maybe help while I'm at it. This old thread may or may not be helpful.

Coolant-change-isl-400

Tags
coolant