Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2022, 02:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
We take three bikes - 1 standard road bike, 1 standard city bike and 1 Radpower city cruiser.

We don't have any trouble putting all three on our four bike rack - either on out Jeep Cherokee toad hitch or one out dual hitch on the MH. When on the MH, we mount the biker vertically to get more clearance for the toad to pivot without hitting and to improve visibility of the MH tail lights.

Maybe I don't understand OP's concerns? If we remove the battery on the Radpower bike it weighs just a little more than a standard bike...
I definitely plan on removing the battery on my Aventon Aventure. The bike is listed as weighing 73 lbs, and I've added a front and rear rack, so probably closer to 75 lbs. The battery itself (15 AH) weighs in at 12 lbs, so if it is removed, the bike is "down" to a measly 63 lbs or so....still quite a lot heavier than a regular bike. My wife's ebike weight in at 55 lbs, and with the battery removed (about 8 lbs for the battery) about 47 lbs....still heavier than either one of our Cannondale hybrid bikes. The good new is that the Hyperax carrier that we bought is rated at 70 lbs per bike for a total of 140 lbs.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2022, 07:28 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAz View Post
Just to be redundant, I have two Lectric folding step thru that will stand up when folded and tied down in the back of my four door Jeep Wrangler. I have to fold the back seat to make this work. I cover them with a cheap harbor freight moving blanket. I might put a cable lock between them to make them more difficult to remove while the car alarm is going off.
I am not sure about the best way to lock them when I leave with the Jeep and do not want to have them in the Jeep? Perhaps a locking bike carrier on the hitch might work for this? Suggestions welcome.
So you can fit 2 Lectric XPs in the back of a wrangler? Do they fit side-by-side? I didn't think that would work when we were considering toads.
RoadTrip2084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:46 AM   #17

We're going to measure the back of our little Liberty today to see if the two-tote method will allow the two folded Rad Mini's to ride back there while we travel. Selecting a hitch mounted E-bike rack for the back of the Liberty is easy, my main concern is how to effectively cover them while driving to keep them from getting wet and grungy while driving. What's the most effective way of doing this? Have you guys found a dedicated bike cover that works well, keeps the bikes clean and dry and doesn't tear off while driving? Do you just use a general tarp and secure it down with bungee cords? The rack part is easy, the hard part of the equasion is how do you all effectively keep them clean and dry while back there? Hopefully in my case they'll both fit inside and this will be a null point. I guess it's a good conversation to have for those who don't have the space or have non-foldables, however.
Old 02-08-2022, 01:19 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
We're going to measure the back of our little Liberty today to see if the two-tote method will allow the two folded Rad Mini's to ride back there while we travel. Selecting a hitch mounted E-bike rack for the back of the Liberty is easy, my main concern is how to effectively cover them while driving to keep them from getting wet and grungy while driving. What's the most effective way of doing this? Have you guys found a dedicated bike cover that works well, keeps the bikes clean and dry and doesn't tear off while driving? Do you just use a general tarp and secure it down with bungee cords? The rack part is easy, the hard part of the equasion is how do you all effectively keep them clean and dry while back there? Hopefully in my case they'll both fit inside and this will be a null point. I guess it's a good conversation to have for those who don't have the space or have non-foldables, however.
We were just looking at which toad vehicle to get and I have the following data from that research:

Lectric XP fits folded (barely) into 40gal storage container
Depth (Inches) 38.23
Width (Inches) 22
So to fit two bikes would need min. 44” width (side by side)

2008+ Jeep Liberty:
44.5 wide 29” tall 28 deep or
Minimum Cargo Width at Liftgate Opening
Distance Between Wheelhouse Interior Trim

So I expect they will fit, certainly without using the containers they will. I'll be interested in your results.

btw. we settled on a 06 Honda Pilot, found a really nice low mileage one and I've been a Toyota/Honda guy for decades. Had a Jeep Cherokee back in the day, and test driving the Jeep Liberty brought back some memories, and provided some clarity on my purchase decision.
RoadTrip2084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 01:26 PM   #19

I would suggest that you find a way to get them in the back of the jeep, and throw a blanket over them. E-bikes are a pretty hot commodity for thieves these days.
They will stay cleaner, too.
Old 02-09-2022, 09:41 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Just received the last of two Lectric step-thrus. We have a Jeep 2 dr., so the plan is to remove the back seat (no-one wants to sit back there anyway) and keep them in two 50 gal. containers. The 40 gal. version(I understand) is a real tight fit for the Lectric step thrus and may be hard on the exposed wiring at the bike's fold.

From what I've read, the containers that have the two wheels are great for rolling the folded bikes to the toad, putting the handle end in the toad opening and then lifting the wheel end and sliding the whole thing in. My plan includes locking both bikes to the Jeep's rollbar for transport, just in case...still have the Cobra chain from my Harley days. Lectric also suggests removing the batts while in transport - not sure about the other makers.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:00 PM   #21

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Check out the Curt #18088. We just purchased one last week and I will tell you it is great. Easy to install. Comes with cable locks. anti-rattle shank. Easy to load and you can tilt it. Supports 130lbs. Next stop figuring out which e-bike to purchase.

CUSTOM TRUCK, RV & SEMI SHOCKS by HD SHOCKS Race Proven. Highway Comfort.
SHOCKERRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:05 PM   #22

Thumbs up

We have two BAGI E bikes that we put into containers and then into the back of our 2014 CRV .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:11 PM   #23

As a weekender we dedicated a compartment for them but when we hit the road they will be in the Jeep luckily its a 3 row seating position and the seat go all the way flat
Old 02-27-2022, 08:45 AM   #24

We have two e-bikes that we take with us. We tow a Jeep Wrangler behind our 34' Class A. The bike carrier we use it a Thule EasyFold XT 2 hitch mounted carrier. It folds up small when not in use, and is rated for heavy e-bikes. It also comes with a folding ramp, so no lifting of the bikes is required.

Full details on my website: 2manytoyz - Thule EasyFold XT 2 Hitch E-Bike Rack
Old 02-27-2022, 09:49 AM   #25

We have 2 folding Biria ebikes that fit nicely in the huge basement of our 2012 ACE
FredKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 11:30 AM   #26

The Thule XT Pro-2 also works well. The rack is heavy though, about 45 pounds or so. The new rack version now has a wheel on the bottom so yo can roll it around
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 05:58 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
How do you guys bring your E-Bikes along?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manytoyz1 View Post
We have two e-bikes that we take with us. We tow a Jeep Wrangler behind our 34' Class A. The bike carrier we use it a Thule EasyFold XT 2 hitch mounted carrier. It folds up small when not in use, and is rated for heavy e-bikes. It also comes with a folding ramp, so no lifting of the bikes is required.

Full details on my website: 2manytoyz - Thule EasyFold XT 2 Hitch E-Bike Rack

We tried a similar setup behind our 06 CRV, I wasn’t happy with blocking 90% of the rear taillight’s on the toad.
Oped to setup a bumper Rv hitch adapter recommended by the great people from E Trailer. This allows our cover not impede any safety concerns.
Yakima -Ride On Rack
Name:   IMG_1096.JPG
Views: 129
Size:  14.3 KB
Tlmr4784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 07:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlmr4784 View Post
We tried a similar setup behind our 06 CRV, I wasn’t happy with blocking 90% of the rear taillight’s on the toad.

Me neither. If you follow the link I posted, you'll find that I designed a pair of tail light housing that I installed on the rack. It came with two reflectors. I used those same locations.

The video of the new LED tail lights in action is here: https://youtu.be/6SkOiQkVx60

For anyone wishing to do the same, I've uploaded the 3D files (FREE) to ThingiVerse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4577097