Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2020, 04:47 PM   #1

How Do You Lift Your Gasser?

Relating to the other active thread, How Do You Lift Your DP (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/how-do-you-lift-your-dp-480683.html), I wanted to ask about gas fueled Class A's.

Is the process that you use similar to the ones mentioned in the DP post?

Thanks!

PS: I know about using the search feature for the forums to find older topics that have dealt with the subject. I find the search feature on these forums awful. One can put in the exact words of a post in the search and it will not show up. Very frustrating so I tend not to use it. Someone had said it is not a bad idea to bring up old topics because it helps the newbies out getting fresh answers.
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2020, 06:28 PM   #2

If I put a short piece of 2x4 under each jack, I can lift the tires off the ground. Then I slide jack stands under the frame and go to work.

Richard
Old 03-08-2020, 06:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband View Post
If I put a short piece of 2x4 under each jack, I can lift the tires off the ground. Then I slide jack stands under the frame and go to work.

Richard
That sounds very similar to the methods mentioned in the DP thread.

Do you have any personal recommendations for jack stands?
Old 03-08-2020, 08:48 PM   #4

I use a hydraulic Jack to lift it and then slide jack stands under the frame and set it on the jacks.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:14 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why lift it when you can just get on creeper and get under it. I do it all the time and I'm not exactly what you can skinny
Old 03-09-2020, 07:14 AM   #6
US1

I just bought a 20T bottle jack from HF last week. Either placed under rear axle spring plates or front lower control arm, I can lift the tires off the ground without thinking about it. I bought the ‘low’ version so that it would fit under the front with a flat. Only down side is the stroke is less, so for the rear you would need to block the jack up as high as possible. Could have went with a less tonnage jack, but they are taller. Plus for just the $10 more, I have double the lifting capability over the lower rated jacks.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:47 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
My Southwind has hydraulic levelers, I use them to lift the coach and then put jack stands under the axle.

My Ole Mirada didn't have levelers. I had a 10 ton bottle jack that I'd use, again, put stands under it before doing any work.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 05:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Why lift it when you can just get on creeper and get under it. I do it all the time and I'm not exactly what you can skinny[emoji23]
Can one change out the shocks and other suspension parts without lifting the motorhome?
Old 03-09-2020, 05:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5c5 View Post
Can one change out the shocks and other suspension parts without lifting the motorhome?
You can change shocks on the ground but anything weight bearing would need to be lifted.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Relating to the other active thread, How Do You Lift Your DP (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/how-do-you-lift-your-dp-480683.html), I wanted to ask about gas fueled Class A's.

Is the process that you use similar to the ones mentioned in the DP post?

Thanks!

PS: I know about using the search feature for the forums to find older topics that have dealt with the subject. I find the search feature on these forums awful. One can put in the exact words of a post in the search and it will not show up. Very frustrating so I tend not to use it. Someone had said it is not a bad idea to bring up old topics because it helps the newbies out getting fresh answers.
Use the Google search box at the top of the page. It is pre-set to only search irv2.com, however you may change the setting to search the entire web. Its only weakness is not sorting results by date.
The search feature in the bar below your name is practically useless.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:26 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
On my Ford F53:

Front shocks - It can be done, but its a lot easier if you remove the front wheels.

Rear Shocks - No need to remove the wheels, but jack the frame so the rear tires are just barely off the ground. You'lll need to support the frame and have the ability to raise/lower the rear axle
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:33 AM   #12

When I first read this post, I thought you were asking which arm I used to lift the front or rear axle! I use the left arm on the front and the right arm on the rear because I'm right handed!
Old 03-12-2020, 02:22 PM   #13

I have this one and lifted front and rear to remove tires.
If doing any work jack stands will be mandatory

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton...ack-66480.html

My levelers are broken, in a pinch it can be used to slightly level out RV also if needed I guess
Old 03-13-2020, 11:30 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Do you have any personal recommendations for jack stands?
Hazard Fraught has 12-ton jack stands for $100, and 6-ton stands for $47. 12 tons is enough to support either half of my 18-ton GVWR MH with room to spare.

I, personally, do not trust HF products fully. I always support the coach primarily by other means, i.e. the leveler jacks or wheels, and use the stands as backup in case the primary method fails. If I'm ever in a situation where I would have to rely on the stands only, I'd take it to a shop instead.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas