Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2021, 05:54 PM   #1

How do you make driver seats more comfortable?

2000 Winnebago class A...

Nice leather oversized captains chair... looks great, but after 2 hours your butts sore...

I can easily go 5-6 hours in my Toyota of Honda without getting a case of the “butt wiggles.”

These seats are really soft, mushy, not supportive...

Anyone use gel covers? Re-pad with foam? What?

Truck drivers go 8-10 hours... there must be come magic solution
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2021, 06:01 PM   #2

We have long haired sheep skins on our towed and in the coach and wouldn't be without them.
$75/apiece at Eskimo Coats in Berlin, Wisconsin.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
We have long haired sheep skins on our towed and in the coach and wouldn't be without them.
Is that just for getting better air circulation? How do sheep skins help?
Old 07-31-2021, 06:24 PM   #4

Yes sheep skins really help.
Back in the crazy days of trucking( has it really changed?) when 16-18 hrs a day were the norm my butt got really sore. I do find that I need to stop more often these days for various reasons, a coffee, a sandwich, pee break, dog needs a pee break. Etc. I'm just not in that much of a hurry these days and after an hour or two I'm happy to stop.

We tend to start late about 10am and finish early about 3 pm. That's about enough for my bony old butt.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:41 PM   #5

Some seats are really plush and great to sit on for about 15 minutes. Our seats are pretty firm. They almost seem hard at first but seem to form after a short while. I also use a sheepskin for added comfort. The firmer seat with a piece of sheepskin have shown to be the best combo for long term comfort for me.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:44 PM   #6

I too have the leather captains chairs that were uncomfortable and the solution for me was that I got a large beaded cover. Covers my butt up to my shoulders. Works great stopping the wiggles. I can literally drive for 6 hours straight with no discomfort. To my skin, it's like it's not there, but it breathes so I don't have any itches or hot spots and no wiggles. I do have to move around once in a while, but not often. This one I have now are the big beads but I've used smaller beads successfully too.

I know that many people find the beads uncomfortable, but there are millions of us that don't. And at $15 vs $75, worth a try.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:00 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2" soft foam. Fixed the car and RV seats. Upholstery supply.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:39 AM   #8

What about gel seat covers? Is that any better?

With beads, don’t you slide all over? Don’t the beads damage the leather?

Does the sheepskin breathe? Wouldn’t your rear be very “hot,” especially with shorts on?

All help appreciated...
Old 08-01-2021, 07:44 AM   #9

I took my seat bottom to an apholster and had 2 inches of high density foam added. Iirc I picked the middle firmness grade of foam. Cured the exact same problem. Everything I added on top left me unstable and hips sitting unlevel sometimes. Cost was 100$ and me r&r ing the seat bottom.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:02 AM   #10

I just added a seat top gel cushion from Walmart $33 CAD.
Doesn't look that great but seems to have helped the problem.
We are having the driver and passenger seats recovered due to Flexsteel's quality issue, and will ask to have additional, better quality foam added then.
In the mean time, it's the Walmart cushion.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:15 AM   #11

We were traveling through Eureka California after cruising through the giant redwoods, and stopped our sore butts at Costco. They had some lumbar support cushions on sale. We have been happy ever since. They likely do not have them any more, but this is the exact product we bought:

https://smile.amazon.com/Samsonite-S...%2C320&sr=8-10
Old 08-01-2021, 08:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
What about gel seat covers? Is that any better?

With beads, don’t you slide all over? Don’t the beads damage the leather?

Does the sheepskin breathe? Wouldn’t your rear be very “hot,” especially with shorts on?

All help appreciated...
No, I do not slide all over with the beads. No they don't damage the leather, but my chairs are real leather, not the fake 'Ultra Leather' or the 'Pleather' products that are made from vinyl. Not sure if they'd damage that type or not. But the 2nd link below shows a type that has a breathable plastic backing.

I have 3 types, two with smaller beads have a 'expanded' plastic screen type covering on the back so the beads don't touch the leather, the one I use the most has large beads and that one doesn't have the backing cover but the beads aren't doing any damage. Been on my Captain's chair for several years over several thousands of miles now and it's the one I prefer.

I've used this type for a couple years on my leather seat too, and it has the plastic breathable cover on the back with the smaller beads in front that you sit and lean on, and this type is fine too. Works just as well to make the drive comfortable. I just prefer the larger beads.

With these beaded covers my bottom and back never get sweaty and there's no discomfort sitting on them all day driving.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:40 AM   #13

I use my sleeping pillow on the seat.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
Can’t find any info on Eskimo Coats. Can you provide contact info? Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver, seat