Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2022, 04:12 PM   #57

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I used to do the multiple credit card route but switched to TSD. The saving are sweet and really add up when dumping in a hundred gallons of Diesel.

An added advantage of TSD is it does not limit your gallons or dollars on one fill. At least I have never hit the limit. And I have never had to go in the store to use TSD.

Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2022, 04:17 PM   #58

yes, you can just start another transaction. we've had to do that!
broadhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 04:24 PM   #59

National RV Owners Club
With fuel prices today…..my answer is CRYING L😢L
Old 03-24-2022, 04:30 PM   #60

I swipe a 2nd and 3rd time. Have had 2nd swipe blocked twice in 2 years. Got an email quockly to verify legit charge. I use a Sams Club card. Gives me 5% related on all fuel purchases. I catty an EFS card but so far that seems to be discount at higher priced stations and a bad deal.
Charlesland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 04:30 PM   #61

Citi costco card

There is something most CITI COSTCO card holders have a misconception about.

The 4% cash back amount of "qualifying" fuel applies ONLY to fuel bought at a Costco location! Fuel purchased anywhere else only qualifies for the 1% level.

The Costco Citi card that gives me 4% back. So at $4 per gallon, that figures out to be $0.16 off per gallon.
ROVILIAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 04:34 PM   #62

Excel Owners Club
First off, I am ok. I was a little shaken up this morning as I was robbed at a gas station. After my hands stopped trembling, I managed to call the police. They were quick to respond and calm me down. My money is all gone. The police asked me if I knew who did it. I said yes...

It was pump number 5
wkayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 04:35 PM   #63

Plan ahead

The thing I've found helpful is to let your CC company know your travel plans. That way when you are getting fuel in 3 states in 3 days they know it's a planned trip by you.
Old 03-24-2022, 05:19 PM   #64

I just swipe multiple times, usually twice and then switch to another card for a couple more swipes. Problem with going inside to have the clerk override the pump limit is that now the transaction becomes a "not paid at the pump" payment so the 5% discount of the Pen Fed card is lost. Once in a while I've just gone across or down the street to finish the fill-up if I could only 1/2 fill...sharing the profit around. Never tried eating lunch at the pump to get the third and fourth swipe through. Most stations seem to limit to two swipes which is not enough even at a half 150 gallon tank and $5-$7/gallon prices. At one station in Albuquerque I have swiped 5 to 6 times with no problem other than the $75 transaction limit the station imposes, but that was back when diesel was 3 something... I may start stopping for fuel at 3/4 of a tank now. Sometimes I find a convenient Mudflap station and there is no limit then, but then have the hassle of dealing with all the trucks in the way. I remember filling up in the NorthEast one time and was asked how I was going to pay ... I said CC as it was cheaper than cash. Attendant said cash was 10 cents off but I said CC was about double at 19 cents off. He just looked dumbfounded... Back in the good ol' days of less than $4 fuel when we were energy exporters and drilling was allowed and pipelines could be constructed.
Old 03-24-2022, 06:04 PM   #65

Most truck stops give a discount if you pay in cash. It also takes care of any fraud issues with your cc.
dmacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 06:06 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by sploke View Post
This sounds like such a dumb question. When we picked up our coach from the dealer, I stopped at a highway rest stop to fill up the tank. I just swiped a cc at the fuel pump. The fuel pump maxed out at $100 worth of gas! It shut off and wouldn't let me pump any more. This is only like a quarter tank. Is this a common thing? How do you pay for gas? I don't want to run my cc multiple times at the same pump because I'm pretty sure the cc company would flag the account and freeze it. If I pay with a cc inside can they override that stop? Do I need to pay in advance with cash? I figured putting gas in the thing would be the easy part to figure out...
Most truck stops give a discount if you pay in cash. It also takes care of any fraud issues with your cc.
dmacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 07:00 PM   #67

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
Quote:
This sounds like such a dumb question. When we picked up our coach from the dealer, I stopped at a highway rest stop to fill up the tank. I just swiped a cc at the fuel pump. The fuel pump maxed out at $100 worth of gas! It shut off and wouldn't let me pump any more. This is only like a quarter tank. Is this a common thing? How do you pay for gas? I don't want to run my cc multiple times at the same pump because I'm pretty sure the cc company would flag the account and freeze it. If I pay with a cc inside can they override that stop? Do I need to pay in advance with cash? I figured putting gas in the thing would be the easy part to figure out...
I have found that if you go into the station you can run your credit card for any amount. $300, $400 etc. then once done, I go back in and get a receipt for actual amount purchased. Works all the time for years. Jeff
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 07:07 PM   #68

Quote:
I know Cap1 will freeze my card....

That's an easy one to fix, find a new bank. I understand why banks do what they do but when they make their credit cards unusable it's a really stupid move.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 07:59 PM   #69

I have an 80 gallon tank, and even last year when gas was cheap, the pump shut off. I always think how little $100 is today as I run the card through again. $100 in 1975 is worth over $527 today. Yeah, inflation really sucks. That dollar you worked hard for is worth less than $.25 today. Anyway, point is, the pumps should shut off at $500.
Bogus JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:29 PM   #70

[QUOTE=Kash;6120200]I use what I call the 'Trucker Routine". At the RV pumps or using the Truck Stop pumps where the Semi tricks get fuel (we have a Diesel Class A) I park my coach at the pump, take my credit car to the cashier and they charge my credit card with the amount of money I tell them based on over the amount of fuel I estimate I will need to fill my coach and I get my card and receipt. I then go back out to the pump and pump my fuel and fill the tank which is less than I charged. I then move my coach up so the next truck or rig can move up to the pumps, go back to the cashier and get a correct receipt for the amount I pumped. Then back to our coach and move on. For me it is a normal routine knowing I can fill my tank without stopping to run my card again and again which we all have done in the beginning of having to fill large tanks. There are many ways to get around using multiple cards or multiple swipes. This method above works for us. It might take a bit more time but rushing at the pumps is not a good idea. Stay safe, Stay well and Safe travels.

We used to do that long ago. First we got the Flying J/Good Sam card $.08 or $.09 off cash price. Fill at the pump. No need to go inside. Then we got the TSD, much better discounts. Just returned from a 6000 mile trip and save $.40 to $.50 a gallon and you just pull up, pump and go. We get out quick and don’t hold up the truckers, who are working.
Dutchstar53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel