Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2021, 08:06 AM   #1

How do you torque your high torque lug nuts?

I had new tires put on the front of my DP a few months ago and it's recommended to check their torque after 100 miles. It's been about 2000 miles and I still haven't done this.

It was easy with my gasser because it only required 165 ft lbs. My DP requires 450 - 500 ft lbs. It's not convenient to take it back to the tire shop and I really doubt if they apply the correct torque to start with. I don't want to spend the money on a big honking torque wrench either that I would probably use 2 or 3 times.

I was wondering if you can use a torque multiplier and it apply the correct amount using it with a low torque torque wrench? I've looked at them, just can't figure if they would work for this use.

Anyone have a better idea how to torque these monster nuts?
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2021, 08:21 AM   #2

On the road I bring a torque multiplier. You calculate from the ratio of the multiplier what the lower torque should be on the opposite of the nut side. Plus 10% for friction losses inside the multiplier. So for simple math, if it's a 10:1 multiplier, 450 ft lb end result would be 45 plus 4.5 or 50ftlbs. Most don't have that much multiplier.

keep the multiplier at right angles to the wheel face and the torque wrench it right angles to the axle so you aren't putting angle and friction losses into the system.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
On the road I bring a torque multiplier. You calculate from the ratio of the multiplier what the lower torque should be on the opposite of the nut side. Plus 10% for friction losses inside the multiplier. So for simple math, if it's a 10:1 multiplier, 450 ft lb end result would be 45 plus 4.5 or 50ftlbs. Most don't have that much multiplier.

keep the multiplier at right angles to the wheel face and the torque wrench it right angles to the axle so you aren't putting angle and friction losses into the system.
Sounds like this would be a good way to do the torqueing. Just need to do the math on what the multiplier ratio is plus the friction loss.

I wasn't really sure if these were accurate. Sounds like they should be good.

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:12 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, torque multiplier. On mine it's 151 ft lbs in equals 500 ft lbs out.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:15 AM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Another torque multiplier is simple leverage. For example if you know what 100# feels like then you could use a 4.5' cheater pipe over the breaker bar, and for 100# of pressure against the end of the pipe, the torque of the lugnut will be 450#. You could also use different lengths, for example, if you weighed 150# (as most men do not...) then a 3' cheater pipe extension with all of your weight on it would give you the same 450 ft lbs of torque being 3x150=450. I use a simple 1-1/4" diameter thick walled steel galvanized pre-cut pipe (5') from HomeDepot for my heavy duty needs. ~CA
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:27 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
3/4" drive ratchet and a 4' long cheater bar is what I carry.
When re-torquing your basically checking for any lug nuts that may be loose. I also carry a torque multiplier set, but only use it for lug nut removal and initial torque, finishing with the ratchet/cheater bar set up.
It's very easy to over torque things with a torque multiplier and never even know your doing damage.
With practice the cheater bar will get you very close to recommended torque, in our case 450 ft lb.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Another torque multiplier is simple leverage. For example if you know what 100# feels like then you could use a 4.5' cheater pipe over the breaker bar, and for 100# of pressure against the end of the pipe, the torque of the lugnut will be 450#. You could also use different lengths, for example, if you weighed 150# (as most men do not...) then a 3' cheater pipe extension with all of your weight on it would give you the same 450 ft lbs of torque being 3x150=450. I use a simple 1-1/4" diameter thick walled steel galvanized pre-cut pipe (5') from HomeDepot for my heavy duty needs. ~CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
3/4" drive ratchet and a 4' long cheater bar is what I carry.
When re-torquing your basically checking for any lug nuts that may be loose. I also carry a torque multiplier set, but only use it for lug nut removal and initial torque, finishing with the ratchet/cheater bar set up.
It's very easy to over torque things with a torque multiplier and never even know your doing damage.
With practice the cheater bar will get you very close to recommended torque, in our case 450 ft lb.
That's an interesting idea. I don't ever plan to remove these huge tires myself. So I can get a 2.5' cheater bar and at 190 lbs that puts me in the middle at 475 ft lbs.

I'm going to give that a try and see how it works.

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:28 PM   #8

I bought one of these along with a 4' 3/4" breaker bar and the right size socket.

Neiko 20743A Digital Torque Adapter, 3/4" Drive | 150-750 Foot-Pound | Audible Alert https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009GLITFW...4NTT1KY0QP3W3B

All in about $150 IIRC. Works good.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 01:37 PM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
That's an interesting idea. I don't ever plan to remove these huge tires myself. So I can get a 2.5' cheater bar and at 190 lbs that puts me in the middle at 475 ft lbs.

I'm going to give that a try and see how it works.

Thanks.
I would recommend something just a little longer, perhaps 3' or 4', the reason being is that anytime you have to use your full body weight on something like this, you run a high risk of falling, slipping, and hurting yourself. I know this first hand for sure over the years.

Keep in mind that if you had a 3' cheater pipe that you would be using all but 40# of your weight (for 450# torque 3'x150#) which would keep your feet somewhat firmly planted. Not too mention, if you are using the math to calculate the torque, even with a longer pipe you don't have to put the pressure at the end of the pipe, you could still push down full body weight at 2.5' out. ~CA
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 01:42 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I use my 3/4" Proto torque wrench.

A torque multiplier will work as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	torque.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	710.8 KB
ID:	346538  
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 02:04 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
You may not like my suggestion BUT, if it is not convenient to go back to the tire shop you bought your tires at, call a local tire shop and ask how much to check them.

I just had mine retorqued this morning. They do a very accurate job of getting it right. The use an air wrench that has a pressure box supplying it and set it to the required ft pounds. Took them less than 10 minutes to do. I can't imagine more than $50 to do them.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:35 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I called a Loves truck stop that was about 200 miles from home. I asked on my next trip after installing new tires if they would recheck the torque. I did tell him they were not purchased from Loves. The tire manager said he would for no charge. He gave me his cell number and the days he was working. Called him the day before we left and approximate time of arrival.

He checked the the torque and I gave him $20 and went on my way.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:48 PM   #13

I studied up on torque multiplier torque accuracy .....up to 3-1 is okay to use with torque wrench + 10 %. This may have been for thing a bit more exact torque critical that lug nuts. By the time you add up costs may as well get electronic torque extension and big breaker bar/ratchet.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Yep, torque multiplier. On mine it's 151 ft lbs in equals 500 ft lbs out.
Funny, I just checked my Proto torque multiplier and it indicates 152 ft lbs in equals 500 ft lbs out!

BTW, I had a tire shop check my lugs after I torqued them and they matched.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote