Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2019, 04:12 PM   #1

How do you track maintenance - both what's due and what's been done?

How do you remember what routine maintenance is due on your RV? Do you have an app? Keep a calendar? Other ideas?

How do you keep maintenance records? Do you just save receipts? Scan them? Enter work in a spreadsheet?

If you don't like what you have or what you do, what do you WISH you had?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2019, 04:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Spreadsheet is perfect for me. Stored on Dropbox along with PDF manuals.
Spreadsheet has all maintenance schedules, records of any maintenance. Trip log of all trips with notes on each location.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:41 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Excel spreadsheet
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:19 PM   #4

I am lucky. My travels always allow me to schedule Freightliner Factory Service at Gaffney, SC. They know what's been done, what needs to be done , what options to consider, what will be next and when due. They print out what I want. Even includes individual axle weights.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:31 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
I also use an Excel spreadsheet with 4 tabs. RV Specs, Fuel Log, Maintenance, and Purchases. Keep this, and all RV info/pics in separate files in Microsoft One Drive.
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:54 PM   #6

I did all PM service when I bought the coach. That set ground zero. My log book is set up with maintenance in the back. Regardless, all PMS get done yearly if nothing else.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:29 PM   #7

Back in the '50s with one vehicle I kept it in my memory. After we accumulated several vehicles I started keeping a record of all maintenance in a small spiral notebook that was kept along with registration, etc in the glovebox, or other inside compartment, of the vehicle. Receipts for parts went in there too.

To keep track of fuel mileage and cost for trips I write down the starting and ending mileage and keep all receipts for fuel, campgrounds, propane, etc. in a plastic bag. I also write current mileage on each receipt. At the end of the trip I do the calculations and enter the results in the notebook.

Weights and other useful information is also entered in the spiral notebook. When the vehicle is sold the notebook goes with it which provides good records for the purchaser.

I would guess there are better ways of doing this, but I started doing it that way in the '60s and it has worked well for me all those years, so I will probably continue.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:37 PM   #8

What am I missing? It is a MH not a nuclear power plant.

I write maintenance down in the maintenance section of the owners manual. Just like the original owner did before me.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:00 AM   #9

Unfortunately, we do not log enough miles each year to need anything other than annual maintenance on everything. The Freightliner Dealer does all of the oil, filters, lube etc. and I put the receipt (along with the oil analysis results) in my maintenance book. The zinc in the water heater gets replaced when I de-winterize the water system. AC filters cleaned when they get "the look." Tires scheduled for replacement every 5 years. The roof gets inspected every time the DW scrubs it, I would not dare put that on a schedule

I don't like this system at all. I hope for a time when I'd have to block out two days of a trip for a stop at a service center to catch up on maintenance!
Old 01-23-2019, 06:36 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I use an excel spreadsheet, although there isn't so much maintenance, even on a DP, that I can't keep track of what needs done in my head.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:49 AM   #11

I use a small notepad and just write down the date mileage and what I've done for maintenance . I also keep track of the fuel in the same book. Its cheap simple and reliable.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:06 AM   #12

I have a master punch list of annual PM items I do every Nov. before we head out for our winter location.

Then I've created 2 electronic maintenance logs. One for the MH and one for the toad. Anytime I do anything (including my annual PM items) I log the date, what I did, part#'s, time it took, special comments etc., etc.

Since FTing, there's always something I'm doing or checking, and when completed it's logged in. My MH log is currently 22pgs. long. It has every single thing I've done, so I have a complete history and refer to it all the time. All my receipts are kept in an expandable folder.

Lastly, I have one other document that sits on my desktop that I jot things down that I think of that either need to be done or checked at some future date. For example, sometimes I'll be reading a thread here on this forum and I'll go, "Oh, I need to check that", and on the list it goes. If I don't make a note of it, I'll forget.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:07 AM   #13

I use the Freightliner manual. I copied the required maintenance after 6 mo, 1 yr, 3 yr etc. sections from the actual FL manual & I fill them out after completing the work. I have the tech sign/date & I staple the parts receipts to this. Actual work is completed by a mobile tech.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
I use a small notepad and just write down the date mileage and what I've done for maintenance . I also keep track of the fuel in the same book. Its cheap simple and reliable.

Love the comment about the "nuclear power plant"

When I sold my first DP I know the guy bought it because of my little spiral note book with every fuel up and oil change. You can always cheat on a computer but the spiral note book looks a lot more reliable.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance