Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't think there is ever a dumb ? Yes some funny posters and yes 30 above is a heatwave around these parts. t- shirt weather. I run the dash heater and the furnace at the same time. When needed on the road. While stopped @ a campground I have a electric heater 1500 that I use along with the furnace and the furnace will stop running as the electric starts to catch up, plus it's a drier heat to help with condensation.
I'm thinking that I might watch the Football game out there today, on SP with the elec and furnace it will be toastie. ZERO out right now Even if our team loses its still football
Happy Sunday & the Lord be with you
wheres the remote -O- by the way
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2013, 08:25 AM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
After two gas Winnebagos, we had a rude awakening driving our Journey in cold weather. The "Coach Heat" on the gassers kept the whole MH warn no matter how cold it was outside. The Journey needs the propane heat often. I still won't go back to gas for everything else the DP excels.
I know exactly what you mean. I was shocked at how little heat is maintained up front, as if there is no heat at all! My MH is winterized so I don't have to worry about freezing pipes. If it wasn't winterized if read I the manual the furnace does nothing for the water lines. There is a systems heat switch above the passenger in a cabinet that heats the pipes (I assuming anyway) and all the tanks with water. No more than I will be driving in cold temperatures I am not going to worry about it too much. I was really worried about having to drive for a day or two wearing Carharts and insulated gloves! We will be traveling with the furnace running. Lol! This site is great for us people that are clueless about stuff.

Alan
Old 12-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #17

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Turn on the furnace and head south. When the furnace shuts off, look for a campground.

Very nicely put.
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
If you have a hydronic heat system you should just be able to set the thermostat and it will take the heat from the engine and distribute it to where you want it. I don't have a propane heater but you should be able to run that too. Check the owners manual on the heater or go to their web site. Good luck and make sure the batteries in your CO/Smoke detector are new (change the clock change your battery)
I believe Paz has the best idea.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #19

My Itasca gas has a front and rear heater, keeps it toasty warm when traveling.
rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
I do not own a MH but even so I would never get in my truck without a sweater and a jacket close by, I hate to have my heater full blast when a cosy sweater will serve to ceep out the cold, I also do not like extreme heat and my heater usually runs on low or med once it has warmed up.

I am sure it would be easier to have a few extra clothes close by....
I learned the hard way when I had to get out in some really nasty weather and had a full change of clothes and couple extra jackets and sweaters.

Just a thought for the future, it will also save on propane heat goin' down the road... wear layers ... works like a charm ... remove as body temp rises...
Old 12-12-2013, 01:20 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by malexander View Post
My front furnace doesn't keep the front of the coach very warm & runs ALL the time. So, to conserve propane, I run the genset, and use the oil filled, electric space heaters. You just have to figure out which power on the heater to use so as to not trip a breaker. I'm ready! BTW, I've got a 2000 Fleetwood Southwind 34N. V10 Ford.
I suspect you are better off burning propane
You are losing a lot of BTU's converting the diesel to electric then running an electric heater

Not going into the physics but just burn the propane

I'm sitting in 31c so I can give this sort of advice
Old 12-12-2013, 03:26 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSkinner View Post
I suspect you are better off burning propane
You are losing a lot of BTU's converting the diesel to electric then running an electric heater

Not going into the physics but just burn the propane

I'm sitting in 31c so I can give this sort of advice

Oh, I know running the genny is expensive electricity. What irritates me though, is how much these places charge to fill a propane tank. I pay $1.65/gal for propane for my house (delivered). I fill ALL of my small tanks, including the motorhome tank off of my 500 gallon home tank wet line. I have a tee in the tank line on the MH and carry extra propane tanks while traveling. I just can't get into paying the inflated prices (upwards of over $3.00 in some places) at the pump for LP, knowing how much it really cost.

BTW, though, my MH is gas the genny runs off the main fuel tank.
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enokie View Post
I do not own a MH but even so I would never get in my truck without a sweater and a jacket close by, I hate to have my heater full blast when a cosy sweater will serve to ceep out the cold, I also do not like extreme heat and my heater usually runs on low or med once it has warmed up. I am sure it would be easier to have a few extra clothes close by.... I learned the hard way when I had to get out in some really nasty weather and had a full change of clothes and couple extra jackets and sweaters. Just a thought for the future, it will also save on propane heat goin' down the road... wear layers ... works like a charm ... remove as body temp rises...
Enokie - I know exactly what you are talking about the clothes but I have had motor homes before just never a DP. It was shocking how little heat is produced from the dash even though it is producing a lot of heat at the dash. I was wearing a jacket but I left my gloves in car not thinking it would be any big deal. The car was following behind me about an hour so it was of no value to wait for it. It's still cold. We were picking up the MH from warranty work so I had no clothes in it to stop and put on so it was a miserable drive. It was not as cold then as it is now and I refuse to drive the MH wearing Carharts, gloves and hood. The temperature is close to zero here now so an all day drive would be a miserable drive. I figured there had to be a better way which is why I posted here. I was fearful of firing up the furnace so I tolerated it for a couple of hours until I could get a better solution. Not doing that ride again.

Alan
Old 12-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #24

so, a quick review for a new class A owner.
Heating options (in addition to dash heat) while traveling
1. turn inverter on and run electric space heater ( do I need to turn on generator while traveling, too?)

2. Turn on elec heat pump heat (does this need the generator to be on?)

3. Turn on propance furnace
Thanks
taigarazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wilson View Post
My idea is to run the furnace while we travel so DW could access the fridge to get my ice or water while we travel.
I like to have a warm coach in the evening.
How do you travel that two days out of the cold weather to a warm weather area?
Alan
Alan
We run the propane furnace during the two days travel from COLD Wisconsin each Dec, and back again in April.
Since the dash heater does not warm the living area enough to be comfortable, we run the propane furnace when traveling.

The trip to and from warm weather takes 2 days, (with a one night stop in a rest area or at a Walmart).

We do not un-winterize until we reach above freezing outside temps, (and winterize again before the srart of the return trip in April).

BTW, anytime we run the genset we also use 1 or 2 1500 watt electric space heaters.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
gen issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigarazz View Post
so, a quick review for a new class A owner.
Heating options (in addition to dash heat) while traveling
1. turn inverter on and run electric space heater ( do I need to turn on generator while traveling, too?)

2. Turn on elec heat pump heat (does this need the generator to be on?)

3. Turn on propance furnace
Thanks
1) yes otherwise it will deplete your batteries pretty quickly
2) yes for the same reason also outside temps must be in the range your heat pump will operate. Mine will start running anywhere between 36-40 degrees depending on humidity.
3) yes this has got to be cheaper than burning fuel to run the gen to run the electric. However if you have to run the generator to charge up the batteries and it's a diesel gen it like a load so running your heat pump or space heater while charging the batteries is fine. (depending on your gen size) I'm not sure if it's the same for a gas gen.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I swear that there is more heat going out the exhaust on my 82's furnace its ridiculous it has bothered me since we got her. Does all the bigger MH work that way?I have been thinking about new HVAC"s that have a heat pump in them,in the long run I think I would save monies? It does get the MH warm in just minutes maybe 10 to be able to start disrobing down to a t-shirt and jean's.Getting her ready for AZ. It has been -10 to + 10 above this week. Heatwave +20 today might have to turn on the AC sorry got excited
I read another post that said his warmed up in hours. There's has to be older than my 82 to take that long. IMO I have a electric portable that maintains it after it gets up to 65-70 on sp @ the S&B.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #28

American Coach Owners Club
We have 3 space heaters plugged in, fore, aft and amidships, so running the genset along with the dash heat makes for a world of difference, even though rare that we're in cold climates. All else fails, run the gas furnace, which has already been suggested.
As an alternative, some AC units have a heat element installed and most sure this Mod is available somewhere, for the units that don't.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote