Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2020, 10:26 AM   #1

How do you use your water tanks

When you are stationary for 3 or 4 weeks do you rotate fresh water thru your tanks? Do you drain and refill with fresh before moving to your next location? I'm wondering how long non-chlorinated water takes to get "stale" especially with temps in the 80s and 90s.
RVific is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2020, 10:28 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I typically fill the tank and use it till it runs low then fill it again. I get better pressure from the pump than through the pressure regulator. It also gives me an easy way to turn the water off when we leave the coach.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:57 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
You worry too much. In 50 years of RVing we drink the water from the tank... city water or well water. For 3 months during the winter we use the water out of the tank when the water is off in the park... could be 3 months “old” and use it to get home. I do drain the tank while in the MH bay and will refill when leaving on a trip. Will run the new water through the system after replacing the filters with new... no extra chlorine added and have never ”sanitized” a system.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:37 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We keep the freshwater tank full all the time. We have a high-quality water filter under the sink with separate faucet that we use for all consumable needs, so we don't worry about how fresh it is. If we're not doing much traveling I try to drain and refill it maybe every three months.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:07 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I like to keep the tank filled with water from a trusted source. Usually we use the campground's water.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:19 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We ALWAYS work out of the onboard water tank, refilling when we need to. And yes, always refill before leaving, we travel with a full water tank.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:45 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
We use the fresh water tank as pressure is much better. I refill it when dumping the gray and black water tanks. Usually every two days. Our fresh holds 120 gallons. Gray is 70 gallons. Black is 40 gallons.
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:50 PM   #8

We fill it on first trip of the year, refill it if it gets under half full through the season and pull the drain on the way home from last trip of the year.

We live in the country where the power in past times has been iffy. The MH is always full of fuel and water just in case we need it as a life boat.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:53 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Only use city water to fill the tank as needed. This way easy to turn off the water via pump switch at night or when away. Minimizes plumbing surprizes.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:14 PM   #10

I've been fulltime dry camping for over a month now while working on the coach outside of a local Lowes - moving to a truck stop at night and filling the water from their city connection as needed.

Normally I just fill from a city source and use what's in the tank for washing / cooking etc. If I'm in one place with a hookup for extended periods, then the tank might make icecubes in the fridge too. But when stored and winter is coming, I just pull the drains on the tank and lines, and open all the faucets. Never done anything more than that in many years, never an issue.

Tags
tank, water