Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #1

How do you winterize this?

I have looked at my manual and winterized it before but nothing is said about the fitting on the side of the MH that you connect the water hose to. I didn't do anything with it last winter but I'm not so sure that is the correct procedure. What do you folks do?
CharlieTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #2

I froze mine last year because I didn't do anything, this year I removed the inlet screen and pushed a screwdriver into the one way check valve. This allowed the water to run out, followed by some anti-freeze I'd already put in the lines. Should be good to go now.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Another thing is to run pink stuff through the sprayer on the tolit if it has one.I missed this last year,It was the only thing that busted.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieTwo View Post
I have looked at my manual and winterized it before but nothing is said about the fitting on the side of the MH that you connect the water hose to. I didn't do anything with it last winter but I'm not so sure that is the correct procedure. What do you folks do?
Fresh water city fill's have a check valve in them, most of them having a little plastic plunger in the center of the city water fill. Just push the little plastic plunger when winterizing, with pump off, and this will release the water in the check valve. Make sure to have the low drain valves open when doing this. Close the valve when everything is drained.

Shouldn't have to inject pink stuff into the city water fill check valve.

I do recommend the pink fresh water antifreeze being pumped into the plumbing system for winterization drawn thru the fresh water pump.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:34 PM   #5

Thanks guys. I will try that Pusherman. Your board name would have been quite something back in the 60's......
Old 10-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieTwo View Post
Thanks guys. I will try that Pusherman. Your board name would have been quite something back in the 60's......
Yea, I know (now)...... I was about 10 in the '60's.. After I chose the name, I saw that it meant other stuff. Maybe bad choice in board names.

I do drive a diesel pusher, however.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well back when I winterized the motor home and stored it I used the DRY method.

That is where you drain all the water out, including the water in the pump pre-strainer (The one mounted on the pump) then blow the lines out using compressed air, which is introduced at around 40-50 PSI via that very connector you are worrying about.. Blowing it out too.

You blow the lines out several times, waiting a minute or two between blows for water clinging to the sides of the pipes to settle down.

This is way better than the pink-stuff method... As 1: More enviormentally friendly (NO chemicals of any kind) 2: Even at a buck fifty a gallon,,,, IT's still cheaper.

and if the AIR in those lines ever freezes... I won't worry about it (I'll be dead)

Now, of course,,, I winterize by the S-Method.. I'm in southern Georgia as I type this, 59 degrees out.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a link to winterizing that may help.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:55 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i always blow out mine the only issue i will have this year is the water pump since its not easaly accsest on my new coach use to have a traval trailer and had it for 5 years and i only ever blew out the water and put antifreez (pink stuff) down the drains
jimbooth25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #10

X2 for blowing out the lines. Maybe its my imagination ...but I know the "pink stuff" was in there.
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:10 PM   #11

I got it winterized tonight. I found out a way to winterize the city water fill. Once I got done with all the pipes and faucets and drains, I had the system under pressure from the pump. I went outside and decided to push in on that little piece of plastic in the center of the fill fitting............ Pink stuff blew out of there and all over me! At least I know that there is no water in there! Thanks for all of the replies. I may get one of those air fittings but I'm not so sure that it will get the water out of the pump.