Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2014, 09:43 AM   #29

300 +/- miles
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #30

600 miles Va to Ma in an old class A gasser. I think my teeth are still rattling a bit from that ride,awful.
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
We say on the road by 10am...on our second margarita by 3pm. Miles are irrelevant.
Like this!

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:10 PM   #32

When we seem to be on those marathon drives my wife likes to remind me that it's a "Recreational Vehicle" and it should be used for recreation not marathon drives.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #33

On a long trip the first day out I like to be out of Texas before we stop. Depending on the direction we take that will be from 350 to 480 miles. After that, it's all downhill, as they say.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:52 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Prior to retirement we did several 600-700 mile one day drives. It wasn't fun but the work (sorry to swear) schedule dictated this.

Since then we have done a few 450-500 mile days but mostly we try to keep driving time in the 4-5 hour range which includes a planned 20-30 minute stop for our GSDs and room for a second one if needed. That averages out to between 250-300 miles give or take road/traffic conditions and speed limits.

OTOH...if we surf Walmart style boondocks for quick in and out needs we will stretch it out a bit more towards 350-400 miles since we won't spend any time in the set up and tear down process. We generally do that to bridge quickly from one extended stop to the next when those trips are too long for a day or 2.

BTW...we plan 60 MPH cruise speed (55mph average) so even extended 45 MPH construction zones and occasional speed reductions for routes through towns don't have a major affect on our time in the saddle.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #35

I think the longest run I've done in the DP is close to 1,000 miles... starting at the Little America between Evanston and Rock Springs, WY, to Linn Valley Lakes, KS. We had actually intended to stop earlier in the evening but every single rest area was packed with trucks as we approached Kansas City from the north, so we ended up pushing on through (which turned out okay, there was a rest area not 10 minutes from where we were going that also had a dump station).

The longest drive I think I did in our gasser was about 675 miles, from Portland back to the SF Bay Area after a race weekend. That was actually an easy drive because it was an incredibly bright full moon and there wasn't any wind. And coming home always seems to create a 'second wind' as one gets closer.

In general, we tend to get going in the morning, drive 4-5 hours (which covers roughly 300 miles), stop somewhere for an hour or two (maybe catch a quick nap, walk the dogs, etc), then do another 4-5 hours. So about 600 miles a day. And that still gets us stopped by 8pm. Dogs fed, watered, walked, by 9:00pm at the latest. I still end up reading for a couple of hours before going to sleep...

Steve
Old 08-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #36

Carolina Campers
How far in one day?

Why the question? Are you wanting to know what people do on average miles, or are you wanting to see how many miles you can cram into a day as a deadhead time crunch trip?

Most of the time, in an RV, I do not try to push the limits. I am looking for comfort, not speed. 400 miles, averaging 60 to 65, with a gas stop and possibly another break or two, will take around 8 hours. Any further, than that and I am not a happy camper. I'd rather travel 5 to 6 hours a day with a fuel stop and break or two. That allows me time to get started later, go slower, get into the next camp sight in time to set up and enjoy dinner and some relaxation before going to bed.

My RV lifestyle is meant to be fun and enjoyable. Not rushed and stressful.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Why the question? Are you wanting to know what people do on average miles, or are you wanting to see how many miles you can cram into a day as a deadhead time crunch trip?...

My RV lifestyle is meant to be fun and enjoyable. Not rushed and stressful.
I think the question if valid for many reason. Some folks just don't know what is realistic as they contemplate going into a lifestyle that includes and RV. There is certainly a difference in a trip in a car vs an RV. There are also differences in "mission". For those still working there may need to be some place in the allotted time between the start and stop of a work schedule.

Folks come here for information. Some of us that have been here a long time have heard the same question over and over and it is easy to get tired of answering them the same way. OTOH, some of us may have forgotten all the questions we had when we started.

I would also suggest that some folks ask these questions to validate what they think will be their theory on what to expect. That applies to many areas and not just the question by the OP. I'm one of those that often needs to understand WHY folks believe and say what they do not just because they tossed out an answer.

As an example, those that mentioned that along with the miles/time in the saddle there is also time needed for setting up and being done in time for happy hour may have been trying to be a tad funny but the underlying principle is that rushing all the time isn't fun.

I can tell you that prior to retirement we did push long days in the saddle because we felt we needed to in order to have more time with family on the other end. At times it wasn't fun but the time with my grand kids made those days worth it. Now that we are retired we approach it differently but sometimes still have to be some places at specific times to meet our needs. That requires us to balance a lot of days of relaxed travel with a few relatively hard days.

One other point not related to this is that there is definitely a difference between 5 hours in a gasser vs 5 hours in a DP. In my previous gasser if I had to drive 5 hours I had a headache before I even started the key. LOL

I can't speak for class Cs, TTs and 5ths.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:17 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How far in one day?

Longest one-day distance in the coach has been about 325 or so. We usually figger about 200-225 on travel days, and our rule of thumb for general travel planning is to average 100/day. If we're in a hurry we fly.

Longest solo day I've had was as a corp chauffeur: a bit over 900 miles R/T Raleigh to Morgantown WV. But I had about 3 hrs in the middle to fuel, eat, and sleep, so it really wasn't a marathon-- but It was a 20 hour day.

Longest non-stop was Denver to Boston, quick pit stops only as necessary, rotating 5 drivers. Just shy of 2100 miles in a little over 34 hours. But the drivers got dropped along the way-- Ottawa IL, Gary IN, Brunswick NJ, and Boston. The guy who owned the car lived in Maine, and he still had about 5 hrs to go solo after I got out! Absolutely awful. That was 1971. We were young and stupid GIs going home on leave, and that was one lesson I DID learn!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I was working we'd push maybe 600 to 700 a day to cover the limited vacation time. Now in retirement 250 to 300 fills the ticket for us.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:29 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
800 miles with only one fuel/potty break.

Now that's impressive bladder control !!
Planocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:31 PM   #41

800 miles from Napa, CA to Chandler, AZ. Anything over 600 miles in a day is a long-haul. It's tough to do consecutive days of 500 miles or more. The new class A gas chassis runs so nice it's easy to push much farther.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:35 PM   #42
gMw

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
1,000 + miles, diesel, single driver.
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote