Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
D M

Tiffin Owners Club
How fast do you drive?

How fast do you drive? My coach handles nice at higher speeds but better mpg at slower speeds. Is 55 to slow on freeway when other traffic is doing 75 mph? If you drive 55 are you a hazard? I go on short trips so the difference from 55 to 65 mph maybe only 10 to 15 minuets. I am new to class A so just how fast do you drive? Thanks I have learned a lot from this site.
D M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2012, 09:08 AM   #2

If your driving 55 and in the right lane...your fine...you may encounter an occasional idiot who doesn't know how to merge into traffic when entering the highways but that is FAR safer than attempting 55 in a passing lane(any lane that is not the right lane).
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #3

You will probably get a lot of "you have to keep up with traffic" answers on this question, but IMO that is not true. We drive 62 - 64 mph with the motorhome and stay in the right lane. That speed is our "sweet spot". Faster vehicles will pass (you will notice they tend to be in batches). We always arrive at our destination about when we expect. Getting there a few minutes faster will not change our lives.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I try to stay under 60 because I know that is where my rig gets the best mileage and still can do hills without a big loss of momentum. Agree sc that there will be the occasional idiot who thinks you are in the way.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depends on how fast you want to get to the next gas station, or be able to skip it.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
GPW

JZ, Odd you mention the “batches” ... like Rat Packs , a group of the faster drivers will pass like they’re racing each other , then the road is empty for miles ... This scenario repeats over and over .... Strange !!!
Being Old , I drive pretty Slow (55) and the only people I ever pass are broken down on the roadside ... Never a problem when they see an old fart’s driving , they just shake their heads and hit the gas ...
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi D M,
Posted speed limit is >60 I drive at 60. Posted speed limit is <60 I drive the posted speed limit.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I always drive between 62 and 65, depending on the road condition. I drive 65 on a good interstate. I think it is dangerous to drive too slow on interstate. You should try to drive at least 60. What aggravates me is those people in 40ft motorhomes travelling 75-80mph. They don't save time, most of the time I catch up to them at the next light or in slower traffic. You have a better chance of surviving a front blowout at 60-65 than 75-80. As a retired LA. State Trooper, I speak from experience.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
62/63...a reasonable speed and reasonable fuel mileage.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
As a general rule I try to drive about 1-2 MPH below the speed of traffic in the slow lane (up to 63MPH). This way I can set the Cruise and relax. I hate the whole speed up slow down thing. I'd rather run a bit slower and just keep on, keepin on
Old 02-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by D M View Post
How fast do you drive? My coach handles nice at higher speeds but better mpg at slower speeds. Is 55 to slow on freeway when other traffic is doing 75 mph? If you drive 55 are you a hazard? I go on short trips so the difference from 55 to 65 mph maybe only 10 to 15 minuets. I am new to class A so just how fast do you drive? Thanks I have learned a lot from this site.
That's a tough question to answer, numerically. I drive the speed I feel safest driving. I can't just say: "I drive 62 because that's where I get the best mileage, or that's where my engine is happiest". For instance, if I'm driving 62 in the slow lane and 18 wheelers are wizzing past me at 75, it's not very safe. I'd be safer (and therefore more comfortable) driving 70 or 75 in that case. If it's foggy or rainy, I might drive 55 or less, because that would be the safest speed in those conditions.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #12

I go the speed limit. If I cared about fuel, I would be driving a 40 foot bus.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
You will probably get a lot of "you have to keep up with traffic" answers on this question, but IMO that is not true. We drive 62 - 64 mph with the motorhome and stay in the right lane. That speed is our "sweet spot". Faster vehicles will pass (you will notice they tend to be in batches). We always arrive at our destination about when we expect. Getting there a few minutes faster will not change our lives.
X2 on the interstates, speed limit on the 2ndarys.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #14

Since my GT is really an 11-ton truck, I drive the truck speed limits on the major roads and at whatever feels right on the two-laners. At the lower speeds, I put the rear-view video on and keep tabs on what's behind. If there are more than three or four cars, I'll pull over and let them go by.