Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2019, 07:54 PM   #43

Forest River Owners Club
Count me in the 65ish club. Going faster won't really save much time, but will cost more gas and increase risk while being less comfortable. I might get a bit above that briefly (to wrap up a pass, or on a downhill with an uphill coming right up), but I really don't mind keeping right and letting the world fly by. I'm on vacation after all.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2019, 08:03 PM   #44

I started driving during the 70's oil embargo and the 55 national speed limits. My sweet spot is 60 mph, whether hauling the fifth wheel or driving my motorcycle. Driving any faster is just too stressful!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:40 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I always liked 68 mph with my past motorhomes but they were a bit smaller and 10,000 lbs. lighter. Now I find 65 to be my comfort zone on interstate highways. Generally I cruse with the truckers and most of them run around 65 anyway.
chuckftboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:36 PM   #46

I will 60-65 depending on the wind. I prefer 60 but if pushed for time 65 is what I will do.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:54 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA4TG View Post
65 sounds about perfect to me. By doing 65 in a 70 mph zone, you aren't going to hold up traffic and you can relax watching the rest pull away. You'll not get tickets, worry about radar, or have traffic very close to your front. Lots of the time, if traffic is light, I will even slow down to 60. I am a retired deputy sheriff and have had my share of speed. Now it's time to relax.
May I add to your list of plus's? Driving 63/65 allows use of cruise control most of the time, without having to brake for a slower driver. It also allows more reaction time to unexpected events.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:09 PM   #48

63-65 for me 80% of time. Sometimes in places like Montana I will run 70–72. 🕶
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 01:59 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I'm another 63-65 mph traveler. If the speed limit is 65 or 80, I stay in my comfort zone. My tires are rated for 81 mph, but they will never see that speed as long as I'm driving. Maintaining the speed limit is not mandatory, it's the maximum legal limit. Anything below that is legal unless otherwise posted.
Not true in Washington State. Here, you can be ticketed if you drive slower than 15 mph below the posted speed limit.
Old 11-29-2019, 04:08 AM   #50

How Fast Do You Drive

I try to stay in the 2500 to 2600 rpm range with my 2004 v10 Hurricane. This translates to 60 to 65 mph for 8 to 10 mpg depending on wind and grade on the Xway. The whole idea of having your house with you is “ain’t no hurry”.

Just Another Old Doggy, DonClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0886.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	383.7 KB
ID:	268208
OldDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:08 AM   #51

I'm a very good operator/driver of very fast vehicles (I have been doing it since the late 50's). My long-wheelbase, short rear overhang, IFS Spartan chassis 40 ft Dutch Star,...handles well at 80 mph. Therefore, I set the cruise control at 65 mph, because I understand the science of the forces at work. In particular, I understand how the centrifugal force which constantly tries to delaminate my tires exponentially increase as the vehicle speed increases. For me, dealing with a front tire blowout at 65 mph is no big deal. The longer I live, the longer I want to live.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:17 AM   #52

I generally run 60 on the highway but will let it slide up to 65 on some downhill runs. It gets us where we need to go and I feel handling a blowout is better done at slower speeds. I get passed by a lot of coaches, some really fly by, but the couple who had a front tire blowout and went into the meridian and rolled always plays in my mind (it’s on YouTube). They were going quite fast when this occurred.

We also enjoy drying off the highways when we can as we get to see more of the countryside and you never know what neat stops you might find like farm stands, etc.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:28 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
Not true in Washington State. Here, you can be ticketed if you drive slower than 15 mph below the posted speed limit.
Is that posted along the highway? If it is not a posted limit, how can it be enforced. Does Washington have an 80 mph speed limit? If it does, I'll just avoid going there.

That Washington law is intended for two lane roads and the minimum must be posted:

(2) Whenever the secretary of transportation or local authorities within their respective jurisdictions determine on the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation that slow speeds on any part of a highway unreasonably impede the normal movement of traffic, the secretary or such local authority may determine and declare a minimum speed limit thereat which shall be effective when appropriate signs giving notice thereof are erected. No person shall drive a vehicle slower than such minimum speed limit except when necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:56 AM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I have not read every post here, so if this has already been said I apologize for the redundancy. I also, drive in the 62-65 range on the interstate. One advantage to this speed is that I can get in the outside lane, set the cruise at that speed and drive for hours without having to take it off cruise. Any faster than that and I have to hit the brakes for slower traffic, mostly big rigs that probably have governors. This provides a much more enjoyable driving experience. I also avoid driving at night.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:09 AM   #55

I usually drive 66 or 67 on the interstates. 35 foot on the F53 chassis.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:18 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
Most interstate roads have a minimum of 45 or 50. I've seen lower minimum speed posted on occasion, but can't remember seeing a higher one. Not saying there aren't any, just that if there are it's not common.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote