Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #225

You know all these wanna be AJ Foyt's running RVs to the max need to come to grips and check out the attached link for speed limits by state. I one day was passed by a 5th wheel doing 85mph.. (I was driving my car that day) so I put the pedal to the metal just to see how fast he was doing. My thoughts were.. What an idiot!!

https://www.outdoorsy.com/blog/rv_sp..._for_50_states

Use common sense for safety, if not yours.. at least for anyone around you within a 1/4 mile. That would probably be the widespread if parts going everywhere if something catastrophic happened at your hands. Be safe!! By the way.. my max is 65 mph no matter where!!
lrgomez1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2019, 10:12 AM   #226

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Our coach shifts into 6th gear (geared for TX) @ 67 mph, down shifts to 5th @ 64/65 mph.
No engineer here, definitely not an expert,, But your numbers seem ridiculous. I can't imagine owning a motorhome that required me to hit a speed of 67 mph before I could get into what I call, "cruising gear". Did this come from the factory this way? Did someone reprogram the ECM? Or was differential gearing changed aftermarket?

"geared for Texas"? What is that? I live in Texas and never realized there was such a thing.

Not trying to be a wise guy, just seems strange to me that a manufacturer would purposely design it this way.

On topic, my speed is usually less than 65. With boat in tow, about 60 mph. I definitely see better MPGs with the slower speeds. Sometimes close to 10 mpg with our smallish rig. Our Workhorse has a 4 speed so high gear and lock up come in a bit over 50 mph. The engine turns about 2000 rpm at 60 mph.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:17 AM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcaster View Post
...In AZ a lot, and from my experience, 75-90 is the normal flow between cities...
That may be the case for auto traffic running tires with a high-speed rating. Hope you're not saying that those speeds are safe for a motor home running tires with a 75-mph speed rating.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:19 AM   #228

I agree with your thoughts on speed and tire rated max speed. If you go to some of the tire manufacture sites they will note what high speed does to a tire over time and obviously it shortens the life. But also remember that those that will drive beyond the tire rated speed will also take an engine and run it at maximum rpm's then wonder why the engine failed or the next owner will !!!!! Come on people, have you ever seen what happens to a motorhome when it has a tire failure and winds up in the median on its side..... I haven't seen one yet with a full roll cage and the damage is really extensive and sometimes very lethal.
Walt Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:54 AM   #229

Gonna write me up a 125
Post my face wanted dead or alive
Take my license, all that jive
I can't drive 55! Oh No!

Sammy Hagar
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:58 AM   #230

My rule - max 65 or the speed limit, whichever is lower. I’m not zig zagging, I don’t have to slow down when I hit a bad patch of freeway and I am not stressed at all. Just my personal choice.
Dplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:04 AM   #231

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Years ago on a rural Utah highway, I got past by a very fast car. Few minutes latter I past him getting a ticket. I passed him two more times the same day getting two more tickets and I was still in front doing a safe legal speed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:06 PM   #232

Winnebago Owners Club
We have owned our Rv since 2008 and driven 60,000 plus miles to 37 states. When we purchased our RV I was very tire savvy. Years ago i rode with a close friend from Arizona to Texas attending a Nascar race. Returning home late at night we had two blowouts 50 miles a part. My friend said both tires were like new except the tires were 10 years old. A month later we took is RV to Mexico for a fishing trip and blew a left front tire at 70 mph. It was a handful to get stopped but we made it okay. Again, tires looked new but 10 years old. He replaced the tires on all of his vehicles when we returned. I learned a lot about tires then and used that experience maintaining our RV. For years I would drive 62/63 but have found our RV likes 67/68 mph with no loss in miles per gallon. Our toad is a 2010 Ford edge with 35000 tow miles. The manual say 65 mph towing speed max but I know the speed is safe for the car. Owning a RV absolutely requires always knowing everything about your tires. Date of Manufacture, visual inspection and tire pressure. This is the fifth year for our tires and they will be replaced prior to the next trip. As for me there are lots of things that you need to know about your RV but tires without a doubt are the most important.
kstateaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:21 PM   #233

Slow and safe

I drive a 2000 Dutch Star DP. Towing a Honda Fit.
I drive 55-65 and tend closer to 55-60. Yes I get passed a lot. But that s ok. It is safer and I get much better mileage this way. We have driven 10s of thousand of miles this way. If I had a larger modern rig I might drive a little faster but not much. I also allow lots of following distance. Have you watched the YouTube videos on motorhomes wreaking? Very scary. These rigs are not maneuverable and not at all crashworthy. It you get in a wreak, you are surrounded by tissue paper. The rigs disintegrate rather easily no matter what the manufactures tell you. Those that drive 75 to 80 are foolish. And even 70 is not so good.
Besides, if you are in a hurry, fly or take the car and drive 80. .
Roadyacht1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:12 PM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassAboater View Post
We normally drive the truck speed limit. 55 to 60 MPH seems to be the truck speed limit in most places. Our coach seems to handle the highway curves best at this speed. Although, in some places we run at 65, but our mileage suffers much above 60 MPH.
Sorry but we're with ClassAboater! The speed limit while towing is 55MPH! You never know when the sneaky CHP is going to be hiding somewhere & the cost of ticket, increase in insurance, etc. is not worth it to get there a few minutes earlier! We also have the SafeTPlus stabilizer has been huge help! We're retired & take our time already too many crazy drivers on the freeways in Cali!
jkkinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:41 PM   #235

2016 Volvo Super C

My Showhauler with a 16 litre diesel likes to cruise at about 75. I tend to drive the speed limit during the day and about 5 under in the dark.
Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donskiman View Post
We were going between 70-75 in the Class C rental we had and following a Prevost on I70 in western Colorado. Speed limit was 75. As we crossed into Utah the speed limit increased to 80 and the Prevost sped up, pulled away and disappeared. 75 felt way too fast as it was and after the Prevost sped up I slowed down. I would guess 80+ in a Prevost is no big deal.
Be a real big deal if he blew a tire. He is a danger to ALL!
SurfsideGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:07 PM   #237

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post

Not trying to be a wise guy, just seems strange to me that a manufacturer would purposely design it this way.

On topic, Our Workhorse has a 4 speed so high gear and lock up come in a bit over 50 mph. The engine turns about 2000 rpm at 60 mph.
67 mph is around 1350/1400 rpm. 295/75 22.5" rubber, 6th gear is actually the 2nd overdrive gear,
Alison 4060r trans
(the "r" stands for transmission retarder)

there is a considerable difference in gas vs diesel power/torque ranges.
And Yes ..our coach is built in Nacogdoces,Tx.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:16 PM   #238

Richard hit the nail on the head. RV tires are speed rated at 75mph. ST tires on trailers are speed rated at 65mph. Both are for new tires. Tires get brittle with age. Older tires, slow down.